Medvedeva is almost back
kaori have a great Sp

But I don't understand Rika 's score ... today she was overscore

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Eteri wins again. The improvements that Alina and Bet showed are amazing. I would score Alina and Kaori closer and Zhenya and Bet closer as well, but that's life. The only jpn who had a real chance at scoring russian level pcs was Rika (should be Satoko), but she messed up her last and only chance to get a gold at worlds.

What do you mean her last and only chance? Rika could still win

Leonardo

Final Flight
It's been a long time since I was so excited for a LP... Really, anything can happen regarding the podium!

I'm not so sure that anything can happen. Alina looks really solid and an almost lock for the gold (eteri's magic happened).

Leonardo

Final Flight
What do you mean her last and only chance? Rika could still win

I don't think Rika can still win, she's 11 points behind in the standings. But that's just my opinion, of course. Not only Alina looks very solid but Rika is not even skating in the last group. Next year she will face the 3A and that's it.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I don't think Rika can still win, she's 11 points behind in the standings. But that's just my opinion, of course. Not only Alina looks very solid but Rika is not even skating in the last group. Next year she will face the 3A and that's it.

From my standpoint, quite an adequate analysis.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand

Well, the others’ skates could go wrong (as much as I want them to do very well) ugh idk what to say I don’t want to jinx anything

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Do you mean the quads? Isn’t Rika working on a quad? I am so bummed that she missed that 3A. To win, she would need Alina to make mistakes. And Kaori, too, probably. And no one can predict the future. There could be injuries, growth spurts, new pressures at the senior level.

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice

If Rika skates NHK-clean, realistically, isn't Alina the only skater who can beat her (based on SB)? If Alina makes a couple of mistakes, then Rika could get gold.

scoty

Rinkside
Finally had the chance to watch the full SP. Very interesting competition indeed. I'm thrilled for Bell, but I actually think Samodourova should be in the final flight. I didn't have Kaori in my top 3, but I can understand why she is where she is. Happy for Lim.

All my big "WHAT??"s come outside the top 11. I think Sauter and Piredda were completely robbed of spots in the free skate and had they skated in a later group they would both absolutely be in the top 24. I think Hongyi, Kiibus, Feigin, Williams, and Ryabova should all be several spots higher than they actually are. I think Schott and Leung should be several spots lower than they actually are. Finally, I am completely shocked that Brezinova, Grm, Chartrand, Lecavalier, and McKay all qualified for the free skate. I didn't have any of those 5 in my top 24. FWIW, I think they should be replaced with Sauter, Piredda, Galustyan, Kropa, and Toth.

JUST MY OPINIONS! Happy Worlds, everyone!

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Finally had the chance to watch the full SP. Very interesting competition indeed. I'm thrilled for Bell, but I actually think Samodourova should be in the final flight. I didn't have Kaori in my top 3, but I can understand why she is where she is. Happy for Lim.

All my big "WHAT??"s come outside the top 11. I think Sauter and Piredda were completely robbed of spots in the free skate and had they skated in a later group they would both absolutely be in the top 24. I think Hongyi, Kiibus, Feigin, Williams, and Ryabova should all be several spots higher than they actually are. I think Schott and Leung should be several spots lower than they actually are. Finally, I am completely shocked that Brezinova, Grm, Chartrand, Lecavalier, and McKay all qualified for the free skate. I didn't have any of those 5 in my top 24. FWIW, I think they should be replaced with Sauter, Piredda, Galustyan, Kropa, and Toth.

JUST MY OPINIONS! Happy Worlds, everyone!

Do you know of any videos for these skaters in bold type as I am still searching for them...

Leonardo

Final Flight
Do you mean the quads? Isn’t Rika working on a quad? I am so bummed that she missed that 3A. To win, she would need Alina to make mistakes. And Kaori, too, probably. And no one can predict the future. There could be injuries, growth spurts, new pressures at the senior level.

Of course, that's just an opinion based on what I have seen so far. I hope Rika can overcome her mental blocks and stay competitive for the gold in every competition she enters.

scoty

Rinkside
I saw them all on NBC Sports Gold. If you don't have access to that, here are my opinions. Sauter skated nicely, doesn't have a 3/3, and has good presentation. The judges awarded her with all positive GOEs. I personally think her PCSs were too low by about 0.5 in each category. She only missed the free skate by -2.09 so this is what cost her.
Piredda also skated well. She had a minor stumble on her combo and the judges gave her negative GOE on her layback which I personally thought was a little harsh. Just like Sauter, her PCS were very low, I think by up to a full point in each category. She only missed the free skate by -1.93 so it was certainly the PCS that cost her.

Hongyi Chen's elements were quite good, but she's quite boring on the ice, and the fact that she scored above 6 points for "performance" and "interpretation of the music" (higher than both Sauter and Piredda) really makes me question the judges' choices. I do think she maybe should have been placed a few notches higher, but I'm glad that her PCS ultimately held her back.

Finally, Kiibus was one of the nice surprises of the event. She stumbled a little on her combination as well, but really gave a good performance.

Now that I've had a chance to really look at the scores closely, I'm shocked by how close the middle of the pack was. Only 5.6 points separated 14th place from 30th place. So maybe I have a little bit less of a "WHAT???!" reaction than I did at first. I think there's going to be a lot of movement during the free skate.

WesleyFox

Rinkside
Finally caught up and loved reading everyone's opinions here after.
Here's my take.

-Good for Gabby! I'm glad to see her looking happy. Thought I'd never hear this Carmen again and was kind of glad.. Hey, she had to skate to something.
-Mariah Bell showed up, but had me worried with those tight (apparently UR) jumps. Still.. ALL the pizzaz! I'm sure it was good for her mental state. FS?? Who knows.
-Bradie was alright. Shame about the combo.. I'm not feeling her intensity with this SP that I was earlier in the season. She looked VERY focused.. wasn't getting a lot of projection.
-Satoko. I'd rather watch her skate than any of them.. BIG SHAME about the jumps.
-Medvedeva.. She stood up the whole time and I know it's a personal triumph for her. She was moving SO SLOW!! Has been all season IMO... Where has her musicality gone? I know it's still in there.. She's busy laboring and you can see it.
-Kaori.. Fabulous.
-Lil Bet... good for her, but those PCS ?? Come on folks.
-Rika has good qualities.. Tired of waiting for a clean short. She could hit the podium, but I'm not sure. I do appreciate the 3A and the 3A in combo, but what is she without it?
-Alina. I'm a big fan of '17-'18 Zagitova and I know she's had a hard time this year. I'm glad she stayed on her feet. DOES SHE LISTEN TO HER MUSIC?! The choreography is wall-to-wall and fits perfectly with the music (we know from earlier-in-the-season performances) She was a few counts if not half a phrase ahead the ENTIRE TIME. I'm afraid that the same will happen with Carmen and she'll be falling off her landings.
Last year's worlds FS was a mess and I'd hate to see that happen again.

I'm REALLY excited for the FS! Anybody could land on the podium. Anybody could blow it.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just wanted to make an observation re: Bradie's short. I read several times the critique of her Nationals short that the music was intense, but Bradie's skating wasn't -- for me, her performance here completely belies that criticism of her Nationals skate. Bradie absolutely WAS intense in her skating and performance there at Nats -- girl CAN do it, she DOES have a certain type of artistry -- but that intensity was lacking here. She was tight and off the music and not "feeling" it like she did at Nats. (Now to watch her long, and it sounds like she nailed that!)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I liked the skating of all Japanese skaters plus Medvedeva most, beautiful programs!!!

Such a pity that our Peltonen did not make the freeskate and she sure looked a very angry Finn at the Kiss & Cry and behaved very rudely towards Lambiel, manners, manners...