2019 Worlds: Ladies' Pregame Chat | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2019 Worlds: Ladies' Pregame Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Not on a whole. On a whole Alina's jam packed program is much more difficult to execute, hence her many failures this season.

Some of Alina's falls seem unrelated to program difficulty, however. That fall on the 2A at Nationals, for instance. She's capable of landing all the elements; her main issue seems to be her energy levels as jumping looks harder for her now.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
and her 3Lo at 4CC attracted a few negative GOEs
Well, duh - it was obviously UR'ed and some fair judges noticed that and decided to reflect that in GOEs despite absence of tech calls. All in all 4CC tech callers (especially in the free) were disgustingly biased in favor of Japanese skaters - most of their URs were ignored while others skaters URs were called harshly. Therefore you can't say that Rika is that strong statistically score-wise by using 4CC data since she benefitted greatly from friendly tech panel there. Maybe at WC there will be more strict approach for japanese skaters in.. ugh, Saitama :drama:

lzxnl

Final Flight
Well, duh - it was obviously UR'ed and some fair judges noticed that and decided to reflect that in GOEs despite absence of tech calls. All in all 4CC tech callers (especially in the free) were disgustingly biased in favor of Japanese skaters - most of their URs were ignored while others skaters URs were called harshly. Therefore you can't say that Rika is that strong statistically score-wise by using 4CC data since she benefitted greatly from friendly tech panel there. Maybe at WC there will be more strict approach for japanese skaters in.. ugh, Saitama :drama:

I took a look at her 3Lo again. To be honest, you can mount a case to say that it's about 80 degrees under. Watching it at 0.25 speed makes it a little unclear whether it's hit the 90 degree mark, and I don't think it has (but only just). I actually think a few negative GOEs for lacking rotation is suitable, but not a base value deduction. She certainly did hit the ice early, however.

Mai Mihara's 3Lz-3T was called, for instance. I'm happy to rewatch any jumps you think should have been called UR that weren't.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Maybe at WC there will be more strict approach for japanese skaters in.. ugh, Saitama :drama:

I'd like to think that the scoring at any Worlds is fair across the board.
Also, according to the judges draw, there will not be a judge from Japan or Russia present at the ladies event.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Also, according to the judges draw, there will not be a judge from Japan or Russia present at the ladies event.

Some people think that was intentional but it’s always a random draw isn’t it?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

Yes, theoretically. In reality there are many many cases when a lot of people are unhappy about international judges favoritism to local skaters:

Sochi and Adelina (up)
Japan JGP stage and Fedichkina, Samodurova vs. the Japanese (down)
Boston and Ashley (up)
Canada and Kaetlyn (up)

Andrea82

Medalist
Some people think that was intentional but it’s always a random draw isn’t it?

yes, it is random among Feds who indicated interest in taking part to the draw (they must have an ISU judge to take part). The draw procedure starts with Feds with a skater entered in that discipline in previous Worlds.
Therefore, it is likely the 13 were drawn out of around 27 countries.

The drawn was public. Apart the ISU office holders required to be in attendance, only Skate Canada had a representative during the drawing procedure in Geneva: ..."in presence of Mr. Alexander Lakernik, ISU Vice-President Figure Skating, Mr. Charlie Cyr, Sports Director Figure Skating, Ms. Krisztina Regöczy, Sports Director Figure Skating, Ms. Patricia Mayor, Sports Manger Figure Skating, Mr. Frédéric Laurent, Sports Coordinator Figure Skating, Mr. Grégoire Weber, auditor from BDO AG and Mrs. Leanna Caron from Skate Canada."

Elucidus

Match Penalty
I took a look at her 3Lo again. To be honest, you can mount a case to say that it's about 80 degrees under. Watching it at 0.25 speed makes it a little unclear whether it's hit the 90 degree mark, and I don't think it has (but only just). I actually think a few negative GOEs for lacking rotation is suitable, but not a base value deduction. She certainly did hit the ice early, however.
80 degree? Are you serious? She landed the jump practically facing forward ) You should watch the video in good quality at 0.13 speed (it can be slowed down by Ctrl+Down key combination using MPH-HC player). Unfortunately it's not possible in youtube so I recommend to download her performance from other sources. PM me if you want the link to Eurosport HD 1920х1080 video.
Also, she has uncalled UR in 3Lz<+3T combination in her FP. Her 3A was also 95-100 degree under too.

Mai Mihara's 3Lz-3T was called, for instance. I'm happy to rewatch any jumps you think should have been called UR that weren't.
Mai Mihara had atleast 4 uncalled URs in FP:
3Lz<+3T<
3Lo<
2A+3T<
3S<

I would let it be if that was just lenient panel case. But having 4 called URs for Brady and almost nothing for japanese skaters is clear sign of tech panel national bias. It's not that surprising though considering that referee was Ms. Yukiko OKABE :rolleye:

My point is that with fair judging Rika's scores wouldn't be so high - making her quite beatable by Zagitova at WC with similar skate.

lzxnl

Final Flight
80 degree? Are you serious? She landed the jump practically facing forward ) You should watch the video in good quality at 0.13 speed (it can be slowed down by Ctrl+Down key combination using MPH-HC player). Unfortunately it's not possible in youtube so I recommend to download her performance from other sources. PM me if you want the link to Eurosport HD 1920х1080 video.
Also, she has uncalled UR in 3Lz<+3T combination in her FP. Her 3A was also 95-100 degree under too.

Mai Mihara had atleast 4 uncalled URs in FP:
3Lz<+3T<
3Lo<
2A+3T<
3S<

I would let it be if that was just lenient panel case. But having 4 called URs for Brady and almost nothing for japanese skaters is clear sign of tech panel national bias. It's not that surprising though considering that referee was Ms. Yukiko OKABE :rolleye:

My point is that with fair judging Rika's scores wouldn't be so high - making her quite beatable by Zagitova at WC with similar skate.

Kihira's 3A looks about 30 degrees under to me, tops. I didn't see any UR at all in the 3Lz+3T, however.

If you need to slow it down to 0.13 speed to detect any underrotation in the 3Lo, then I might ask you to do the same for your own favourite skaters. Zagitova has also been on the receiving end of some very generous calls; she's underrotated more 3Lo's than she's been called for. Then, if we're going to slow down so much, maybe we should penalise every single skater that does a toe jump facing forwards (Kihira included, to be fair, if needed), or even using more than the toe pick, seeing as we now have access to 0.13 speed.

My point is, if it's hazy at 0.25 speed, you can safely let it slide under current rules. If you want to be strict, then apply this uniformly to all other skaters.

Zagitova has a much larger tendency to underrotate her jumps than Kihira, however. To my knowledge, Kihira has UR'd a 3A at IdF, a 3T at IdF (that we can ascribe to having to do an emergency combo in competition), downgraded a 3A at GPF. Let us suppose she UR'd the 3Lo at 4CC, which I'm not so confident about. Going through Zagitova's record, we see a few called URs too (only including GP, Euros/4CC as that's all I can find protocols for, and Alina's record looks worse if you include Nationals):
Helsinki: 3Lz<+3Lo<
Rostelecom: 3Lz<+3Lo, 3F<+2T+2Lo
Europeans: 3Lz+3Lo< (SP), 3Lz+3T<, 3Lz<<, 3F<+1Lo, 3F<+2T+2Lo<

Kihira has a higher base value, similar PCS and a much, much lower tendency to UR or pop her jumps. She's only popped three jumps this entire season afaik: 3A (IdF, 4CC) and 3F+3T (Nationals). For Alina, that list is a bit longer:
Helsinki: SP, 3Lz+1Lo
Rostelocom: FS 2F
GPF: 3Lz+1T
Euros: 3F<+1Lo

So, what makes you think that if they skate similarly, that Zagitova could beat Kihira? Zagitova is more prone to mistakes than Kihira is, so what you're really asking for is for Kihira to make more mistakes than Alina. Under those circumstances, then yes, Zagitova can win, but from (recent) historical data, it's unlikely.

I'm not taking a dig at Zagitova. Not many skaters could pull off a program as packed as hers. However, if you want to talk about 'similar skates', then Zagitova's statistically average similar skate is likely different to what you think it is, and certainly not going to score as well as Kihira's.

As for Mai:
3Lz is indeed UR, although I found that impossible to see in real time. You can make a case for this one warranting a BV reduction
3Lo is also a little under, but I couldn't see it being more than 90 degrees UR
2A+3T looked only a fraction under to me (30 degrees?)
3S is indeed UR and this one is pretty obvious. I'll give you that one.

Interestingly, I thought Tennell's 3Lo was rotated, but her 2Lo looked majorly under to me. Her 2Lo was so shockingly under (but not called) that I don't imagine it's bias.

I don't want to start a feud. I just don't buy your premise that there was tech panel national bias. The judging might have been a little inconsistent, but not enough to call it bias (which is a strong accusation).

SkatePL99

Spectator
Looking at all skates Zagitova and Kihira had so far, I think Zagitova is the one that should hope for lenient panel.

taylor1

On the Ice
Kihira's 3A looks about 30 degrees under to me, tops. I didn't see any UR at all in the 3Lz+3T, however.

If you need to slow it down to 0.13 speed to detect any underrotation in the 3Lo, then I might ask you to do the same for your own favourite skaters. Zagitova has also been on the receiving end of some very generous calls; she's underrotated more 3Lo's than she's been called for. Then, if we're going to slow down so much, maybe we should penalise every single skater that does a toe jump facing forwards (Kihira included, to be fair, if needed), or even using more than the toe pick, seeing as we now have access to 0.13 speed.

My point is, if it's hazy at 0.25 speed, you can safely let it slide under current rules. If you want to be strict, then apply this uniformly to all other skaters.

Zagitova has a much larger tendency to underrotate her jumps than Kihira, however. To my knowledge, Kihira has UR'd a 3A at IdF, a 3T at IdF (that we can ascribe to having to do an emergency combo in competition), downgraded a 3A at GPF. Let us suppose she UR'd the 3Lo at 4CC, which I'm not so confident about. Going through Zagitova's record, we see a few called URs too (only including GP, Euros/4CC as that's all I can find protocols for, and Alina's record looks worse if you include Nationals):
Helsinki: 3Lz<+3Lo<
Rostelecom: 3Lz<+3Lo, 3F<+2T+2Lo
Europeans: 3Lz+3Lo< (SP), 3Lz+3T<, 3Lz<<, 3F<+1Lo, 3F<+2T+2Lo<

Kihira has a higher base value, similar PCS and a much, much lower tendency to UR or pop her jumps. She's only popped three jumps this entire season afaik: 3A (IdF, 4CC) and 3F+3T (Nationals). For Alina, that list is a bit longer:
Helsinki: SP, 3Lz+1Lo
Rostelocom: FS 2F
GPF: 3Lz+1T
Euros: 3F<+1Lo

So, what makes you think that if they skate similarly, that Zagitova could beat Kihira? Zagitova is more prone to mistakes than Kihira is, so what you're really asking for is for Kihira to make more mistakes than Alina. Under those circumstances, then yes, Zagitova can win, but from (recent) historical data, it's unlikely.

I'm not taking a dig at Zagitova. Not many skaters could pull off a program as packed as hers. However, if you want to talk about 'similar skates', then Zagitova's statistically average similar skate is likely different to what you think it is, and certainly not going to score as well as Kihira's.

As for Mai:
3Lz is indeed UR, although I found that impossible to see in real time. You can make a case for this one warranting a BV reduction
3Lo is also a little under, but I couldn't see it being more than 90 degrees UR
2A+3T looked only a fraction under to me (30 degrees?)
3S is indeed UR and this one is pretty obvious. I'll give you that one.

Interestingly, I thought Tennell's 3Lo was rotated, but her 2Lo looked majorly under to me. Her 2Lo was so shockingly under (but not called) that I don't imagine it's bias.

I don't want to start a feud. I just don't buy your premise that there was tech panel national bias. The judging might have been a little inconsistent, but not enough to call it bias (which is a strong accusation).

At this competition Zagitova will definitely be the under dog, but you never really know what will go down at worlds. As we’ve seen anything can happen

Status
Not open for further replies.