Country
United-States

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

sc8

On the Ice
Any help on placements is appreciated....

So, I know that placement total of 13 is needed for Canada to get 3 teams, but what is required for US to get a second team? It used to be a top 10 finish...is that the case still? That seems very doable for Cain/Leduc after looking at the entries, but certainly not easy. (Assuming the 3 Rus, 2 CHN, 1 Fra, 1 Ita and 1 of the CAN teams skate as well as they have, Cain/Leduc would still be 9th). But, if the other Can team and Ziegler/Keifer, Ryom/Kim skate well too, they could end up in front of Cain/Leduc, and they’d drop to 12 (I think that’s worst case scenario - at least I hope it’s worst case)

I really want US to have 2 teams and hope my recollection (and rules) mean a top 10 gets US pair 2.

Then, for Canada to retain two teams, does just one Canadian team need to have a top 10 placement?

Musing on Worlds...and waiting what seems like forever...makes me wish Worlds was last week of Feb every year...late March (18-24) is too late, hard for skaters to peak again after needing to peak in Dec/Jan for nationals (Rus/Jpn nationals late Dec and US/Can Jan), then again a month later for Europeans/Four Con, and then again 6 weeks later for worlds. Plus, I think that when figure skating is on when spring is in full bloom, folks (except we big skating fans) are less likely to watch.

sc8

On the Ice
I really hope Z/E are back. I need to see their insane Spamalot programme again. They haven't really interested me this much in previous years

I also hope that teams from countries with strength in depth like Canada and USA do well enough to earn extra spots for their team-mates. It's a bit frustrating to have such a thin field, and know that there are skaters who would fit right in.

👍 me too! What happened to China’s depth? They and the Russians and Canadians could be pretty confident in three teams at one point. If not now, hopefully by 2021 worlds - (I’m sorry I don’t follow juniors so Can and China may have depth I don’t know about)

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Any help on placements is appreciated....

So, I know that placement total of 13 is needed for Canada to get 3 teams, but what is required for US to get a second team? It used to be a top 10 finish...is that the case still? That seems very doable for Cain/Leduc after looking at the entries, but certainly not easy. (Assuming the 3 Rus, 2 CHN, 1 Fra, 1 Ita and 1 of the CAN teams skate as well as they have, Cain/Leduc would still be 9th). But, if the other Can team and Ziegler/Keifer, Ryom/Kim skate well too, they could end up in front of Cain/Leduc, and they’d drop to 12 (I think that’s worst case scenario - at least I hope it’s worst case)

I really want US to have 2 teams and hope my recollection (and rules) mean a top 10 gets US pair 2.

Then, for Canada to retain two teams, does just one Canadian team need to have a top 10 placement?

Musing on Worlds...and waiting what seems like forever...makes me wish Worlds was last week of Feb every year...late March (18-24) is too late, hard for skaters to peak again after needing to peak in Dec/Jan for nationals (Rus/Jpn nationals late Dec and US/Can Jan), then again a month later for Europeans/Four Con, and then again 6 weeks later for worlds. Plus, I think that when figure skating is on when spring is in full bloom, folks (except we big skating fans) are less likely to watch.

3 placements for next season:
if 1 team: 1st or 2nd
if 2 or 3 teams: top two placements sum to 13 or lower

2 placements:
if 1 team: top 10
if 2 or 3 teams: top two placements sum to 28 or lower

skaters that do not qualify for the free get 18 placement points
skaters that qualify for the free but place 16th or lower get 16 placement points

EDIT: forgot they changed it to 20pairs for the FS this year

sc8

On the Ice

2 placements:

skaters that do not qualify for the free get 18 placement points, except for the 17th place team in pairs which gets 17 points (because the cutoff is 16)
skaters that qualify for the free but place 16th or lower get 16 placement points

Wow, that was fast! Thank you Koatterce. So, based on that, do you agree Cain and Leduc can get top 10 (hopefully higher) if they skate like they did at 4C? Landing their side-by-sides seems really important to their success, yes? Canada also seems likely to add a team as does China, right, if my math is correct and their teams don’t implode.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Wow, that was fast! Thank you Koatterce. So, based on that, do you agree Cain and Leduc can get top 10 (hopefully higher) if they skate like they did at 4C? Landing their side-by-sides seems really important to their success, yes? Canada also seems likely to add a team as does China, right, if my math is correct and their teams don’t implode.

Cain and Leduc are likely to place top 10 and get the second spot, as long as they're relatively clean.

China is almost certainly guaranteed to add a team. Peng/Jin have been skating very well this year, and Sui/Han got good scores at 4CC despite being a bit rusty. But definitely enough to add the 3rd spot, barring some sort of implosion.

Canada, as much as I'd like to, I don't think they'll gain the 3rd spot. Walsh/Michaud are still a young and developing team - while they have a lot of potential, they struggle with consistency and don't have the element quality of the higher scoring teams. If everyone skates well, I see them around 12th or 13th (could be a bit higher if other teams make mistakes), but I'm obviously not expecting Moore-Towers/Marinaro to win (even being on the podium isn't going to be easy). Maintaining two spots will be no problem whatsoever though (barring huge implosions by both teams).

Nirti

Medalist
Last chance to qualify to Worlds this weekend!

Let's follow Hanna Abrazhevich & Martin Bidar (CZE) during the Open Ice Mall Cup, they only need to reach the Short Program TES. Local teams Hailey Kops & Artem Tsoglin and Anna Vernikov & Evgeni Krasnopolski will try to qualify too.
At the Challenge Cup, Alexandra Herbrikova & Nicolas Roulet (SUI) and Liubov Efimenko & Dmitry Epstein (NED) are in the same situation. These four teams need to reach both SP (27 pts) and FS (44 pts) TES.

Good luck to them!

Lyssa

On the Ice
Country
France
Hanna Abrazhevich & Martin Bidar (CZE) got the TES for the world :clap:

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
�� me too! What happened to China’s depth? They and the Russians and Canadians could be pretty confident in three teams at one point. If not now, hopefully by 2021 worlds - (I’m sorry I don’t follow juniors so Can and China may have depth I don’t know about)
Post Olympic Worlds are pretty wobbly. Lots of WD/Retirements. It seems China will have no problem getting spots back this year though.

QuadThrow

Medalist

2 placements:

skaters that do not qualify for the free get 18 placement points, except for the 17th place team in pairs which gets 17 points (because the cutoff is 16)

I thought 20 teams are going to compete in the FS?

Can someone explain the following?

If a country has one spot and wins Gold and Silver it will be three spots for the country next year.
If a country has two spots and they finish in first and 13th it will be no third spot next year.
What the hell is the logic behind it?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm hoping Katia and Harley along with the North Korean pair are able to attend. I was do bummed they couldn't make 4CC's this year. :(

I've also got my fingers and toes crossed for T/M to have wonderful skates! You can do it guys.

Also I'm sure I'm the only one who does, but I miss their I Feel Good SP. I wish they'd use it as an Ex or something.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The only good thing about this, is that all pairs will get to skate the FP as the number was changed from top 16 to top 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.