2020-21 Japanese Nationals: Ladies' Short Program | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Nationals: Ladies' Short Program

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Fans are free to inflate their skater all they want. But judges and Feds shouldn't. Im sure if you polled all the Wakaba, Rika and Satoko fans, the one thing they would agree on is that Kaori is way overscored, and usually for no logical reason. I doubt that is a coincidence
For Satoko fans though, they would have to admit that Satoko domestically has been able to have some technical issues not called out in years past as well (last year they called them but before that it wasn’t as common). I wouldn’t say Kaori is way overscored though because she scores around the same when clean domestically AND internationally.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So Im sure you will agree
No. Fans are free to inflate their skater all they want. But judges and Feds shouldn't. Im sure if you polled all the Wakaba, Rika and Satoko fans, the one thing they would agree on is that Kaori is way overscored, and usually for no logical reason. I doubt that is a coincidence
I explained one of the reasons she is “overscored” earlier.

It’s a subjective sport open to a lot of interpretation. The PCS component is pretty much a blank check.

Composition and Interpretation of the music is totally in the eye of the beholder.

But there is a hidden component. Certain skaters just grab the attention of the judges better than others.

And with Kaori, I can certainly see why. Her charisma is way, way above average.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
That is reasonable. My opinion is the opposite of course. Wakaba has better steps, body control and musicality. And Fed support affects international scores. Let's not pretend the ISU is a fair organization after all. Lol
Yeah, I agree fed support can affect international scores (as seen with other countries as well lol). But you are 100% entitled to your opinion and I respect it. Also, just want to make sure it’s known that I love both Kaori and Wakaba’s skating and have been a fan of both for a very long time. Let’s just hope they can both have freeskates that they can be proud of!

Joekaz

On the Ice
For Satoko fans though, they would have to admit that Satoko domestically has been able to have some technical issues not called out in years past as well (last year they called them but before that it wasn’t as common). I wouldn’t say Kaori is way overscored though because she scores around the same when clean domestically AND internationally.
I would say that is true of Satoko, but that was because she was considered Japanese #1 at the time, which while wrong, is somewhat expected. Kaori has never been considered Japan's best, even when she won Nationals.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Yeah, I agree fed support can affect international scores (as seen with other countries as well lol). But you are 100% entitled to your opinion and I respect it. Also, just want to make sure it’s known that I love both Kaori and Wakaba’s skating and have been a fan of both for a very long time. Let’s just hope they can both have freeskates that they can be proud of!
I like them both also, but the constant favoritism makes it hard not to start to resent Kaori, which is not a good thing. And Im sure you can see on this blog that I am far from alone on that. And when she does screw up and starts to cry, then I really feel bad for the resentment I felt caused by the judges,not her. She is clearly a hard worker and strong competitor. Plus she has obviously done lots of conditioning and looks in great shape.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Back to the event, and to the topic :

I do believe that Kaori has a huge personality which transcends the programs. Satoko is all elegance and beauty but it's done at a smaller detail level... not always perceptible from the bleachers... Mai for me, among those I have seen live, was a big disappointment as she was back then skating very small, beautiful like Satoko but reaching out way less... but at NHK, we could see the joy in her. I haven't seen Rika and didn't see this competition but I like her a lot... I think she is the most complete skater right now, so though I haven't seen today's (will watch later) I would tend to say that in past events, i agree with those who think she should be marked a bit higher on PCS.
I wonder if body shape doesn't play in that "skating big/having presence on ice" thing. Besides the speed.
Because Satoko and Mai (before her health got worse) aren't slow.

Satoko is a master of upper body use and her footwork is good. If Kaori had to skate her SP she would struggle imo while Satoko would even level up Kaori's SP.
I don't see how she's skating small.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wonder if body shape doesn't play in that "skating big/having presence on ice" thing. Besides the speed.
Because Satoko and Mai (before her health got worse) aren't slow.

Satoko is a master of upper body use and her footwork is good. If Kaori had to skate her SP she would struggle imo while Satoko would even level up Kaori's SP.
I don't see how she's skating small.
Don't hear me wrong, I think Satoko is exquisite. I just think it's harder (and that's a general statement, not just in skating) to notice refinement over exuberance.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Satako does not have the ability to fly into and out of jumps in the same way as Kaori, and she lacks some ability to project to the audience, and to express an aura of dominance or sex appeal. It's possible to do all of that while being refined: see Michelle Kwan.