2020-21 Japanese Nationals: Men's Free Skate | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Nationals: Men's Free Skate

Interspectator

Record Breaker
For the FIRST outings of these two completely new programs by Yuzu, I'm dumbfounded. I was ready for things to be really rough. But even though there's space to improve, both programs were done so well. Beyond everyone's expectations.
Shoma's skating today, was full of freedom and joy. He's found something good with Lambiel as his coach.
Yuma's time has almost come. He's so young and so promising. Shoma and Yuzu will need to be on their A-game to fend him off. -Which is a good thing IMO.

For the Japan themed FS, there could be more added, but I don't think the point is to make it flashy like Origin or even Seimei. The music is restrained, and so is the choreography. I think this is purposeful and within the style Yuzu envisions.

1111bm

Final Flight
Haven't watched Yuma yet. Technically Yuzu was breathtaking, program-wise I wasn't into it (yet. might change upon rewatch) and that bathrobe he was wearing might be the first costume of his, that I truly dislike (oh wait, Otonal V.2. was pretty bad too). I quite liked his Seimei costume, but this? It also doesn't do his lines any favours.

And again, even though he made several mistakes, for me Shoma's performance was more engaging and powerful, than Yuzu's (and I don't even particularly like his emo pop song program).

Stéphane hugging Yuzuru and congratulating him, how is this man even real? :cry:
?? Why shouldn't he, isn't that what a normal human being would do?

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Anyone know if the audience were instructed to only cheer via clapping? I find it so weird that the fans weren't screaming.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Haven't watched Yuma yet. Technically Yuzu was breathtaking, program-wise I wasn't into it (yet. might change upon rewatch) and that bathrobe he was wearing might be the first costume of his, that I truly dislike (oh wait, Otonal V.2. was pretty bad too). I quite liked his Seimei costume, but this? It also doesn't do his lines any favours.

And again, even though he made several mistakes, for me Shoma's performance was more engaging and powerful, than Yuzu's (and I don't even particularly like his emo pop song program).

?? Why shouldn't he, isn't that what a normal human being would do?
Sure, like Brian Orser would hug Shoma and congratulate him on winning Nationals. It's totally normal.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I don't know why so many don't like his costume. I take this costume over any of his costumes from last season. He has great lines but not everything has to be tight. And i like the colors.

The step sequence is cut in two parts by the pause he makes at 2:11 or is it really that short?

Also what is that way to get out the ice?😂

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I don't know why so many don't like his costume. I take this costume over any of his costumes from last season. He has great lines but not everything has to be tight. And i like the colors.

The step sequence is cut in two parts by the pause he makes at 2:11 or is it really that short?

Also what is that way to get out the ice?😂
Whenever there's a complaint about his costumes, I like to think that Yuzu's response is to add another frill and some more sequins.

1111bm

Final Flight

I don't think the costume needs to be tight. I think it's too baggy in the wrong places and the waist should be a bit higher because it makes his torso look too long. Re his lines, I think his movements and posture are already so floppy, so a too loose top isn't the best idea for him.
I also don't like that airbrushed pattern on it (looks like the design of a hobby painter). 🤷‍♀️
I think his Seimei costume had a bit more 'structure' and better proportions (and a beautiful pattern), so it looked nicer.

Yes the StSq has a break, it's not that short :D. That's a pretty long break though, JSF missed a chance to give him a deduction for that LOL (I'm not entirely sure, but skaters are not allowed to stand in place without movement for too long, right?)

1111bm

Final Flight
Sure, like Brian Orser would hug Shoma and congratulate him on winning Nationals. It's totally normal.
He wouldn't congratulate him?? Then that reflects badly on Orser, and not positively on Lambiel.
And the hug is just Lambiel being his affectionate and touchy-feely self.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have seen a coach congratulates the winner of a competition. And I have seen a lot of Stéphane, and I do not see this as a reflection of some "touchy feely" self.

I want to see Raf run over and hug Yuzu, yelling "molodets" if Yuzu wins Worlds. Anyone want to take book on that happening :laugh: Then I guess it's not that typical.;)

Hats off to Stephane, very classy move.

HKSZYU

Spectator
Well, that was Perfection with a Capital P.

Yuzuru's artistic side is just amazing. Just perfect to the music all the way.

But I wonder, why didn't he do any Lutzes or Flips? Has he an injury of some sort?
I'm happy that he's not doing lutzes or flips. They haven't been consistent for a while. I don't think the 4L was ever consistent, but even his 3L makes me nervous.

I personally adore this FS. I've always admired Yuzuru's musicality; he really feels music deeply, and it shows in his skating. I think a program like this where the choreo is more nuanced and understated really highlights this ability. I think Yuzuru's the only male skater (and one of only very few skaters in any discipline) that can skate with this kind of artistry.

Tyche

Rinkside
Interspectator: "Yuma's time has almost come. He's so young and so promising. Shoma and Yuzu will need to be on their A-game to fend him off. -Which is a good thing IMO."

Sorry I'm not quoting properly - I've been away what seems like an aeon...

Anyway, I wanted to add my hope that someday Shun Sato could be a rival for Yuma. I have a special place in my heart for him - and he did well, compared to a lot of the older guys - 5th (and within 0.3 of Keiji's 4th) is a pretty good showing, even if he's over-shone by Yuma so much, at the moment. You need rivals to have a thriving skating scene am-i-rite Nathan?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Anyone know if the audience were instructed to only cheer via clapping? I find it so weird that the fans weren't screaming.
I'd guarantee that even without the screaming (and they were probably suppressing it by main force) the atmosphere in that rink would have absolutely electric.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have seen a coach congratulates the winner of a competition. And I have seen a lot of Stéphane, and I do not see this as a reflection of some "touchy feely" self.

I want to see Raf run over and hug Yuzu, yelling "molodets" if Yuzu wins Worlds. Anyone want to take book on that happening :laugh: Then I guess it's not that typical.;)

Hats off to Stephane, very classy move.

Stephane and Yuzuru are friends - I rememberhis video message (a beautiful one) played at Yuzu's 2018 ice show COiNTU. That doesn't mean at all that he wouldn;t have done everything in his power to help Shoma win, but he can be thrilled for his friend who has had a time and a half to get here.

Oh, and another classy skating friend chose to join in the discussion...

FayD

spring will come 🌸
On the Ice
Some predictable comments about Yuzuru's program (and costume but that's another topic). Reminds of how people talked about Hope and Legacy. The new program is subtle, more understated than Seimei, yes, but Yuzuru is master of interpreting nuance. It has a quiet intensity, something regal and ethereal. To me it's something very special.
Also, let me remind you this was his first showing and he hasn't even worked with his choreographers in person. I honestly expected it to look a lot less polished than it was. Given the circumstances, he was more than brilliant. And it's just going to get better if he remains healthy and confident.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Brilliant Yuzu. He never ceases to amaze and at 26 years old looks like a kid with years ahead of him to compete. I loved the SP as it was engaging, high energy, and showed lots of personality. The audience really got into it which made it fun. The free program seems very similar to Seimei, just not near as good. I couldn't get into the music and didn't understand what Yuzu was trying to convey with it. Rather bland in my opinion, although the elements were near perfection. Just didn't feel this one and I agree with others the costume was too loose and baggy on him.

Hmm...I had higher hopes for the free skate, but Yuzu is Yuzu and he makes any program special even if it is a bit dull.