2020-21 Japanese Nationals: Men's Free Skate | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Nationals: Men's Free Skate

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Some predictable comments about Yuzuru's program (and costume but that's another topic). Reminds of how people talked about Hope and Legacy. The new program is subtle, more understated than Seimei, yes, but Yuzuru is master of interpreting nuance.
Yuzuru is not the master of nuance (I mean maybe compared to current competitors, but speaking in general here), and even if someone is, there's only so much you can do with certain music. This program lacks texture and depth. It's nowhere close to the same emotional pull as Hope and Legacy, and doesn't attempt any exciting and different choreographic concept, like that program ending with a 3Lutz going sideways across the rink.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
The free program seems very similar to Seimei, just not near as good. I couldn't get into the music and didn't understand what Yuzu was trying to convey with it. Rather bland in my opinion, although the elements were near perfection. Just didn't feel this one and I agree with others the costume was too loose and baggy on him.

I think it's more similar to H&L. I agree that it's a bit dull, if you're comparing it to Seimei. Not as unique choreographically. I think he's supposed to be a samurai warlord? Perhaps SLB can work out the choreography more. He has been without a choreographer for this entire year.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Interspectator: "Yuma's time has almost come. He's so young and so promising. Shoma and Yuzu will need to be on their A-game to fend him off. -Which is a good thing IMO."

Sorry I'm not quoting properly - I've been away what seems like an aeon...

Anyway, I wanted to add my hope that someday Shun Sato could be a rival for Yuma. I have a special place in my heart for him - and he did well, compared to a lot of the older guys - 5th (and within 0.3 of Keiji's 4th) is a pretty good showing, even if he's over-shone by Yuma so much, at the moment. You need rivals to have a thriving skating scene am-i-rite Nathan?
I was worried for Shun after the block championships and NHK, but he really did well here. He needs to either fix the quad lutz or get rid of it, and his spins are iffy, but his other jumps are huge. Plus, he's only 16. I think in a few years he'll definitely be a rival for Yuma.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
First of all, I’d like to congratulate Yuzuru for regaining his country’s FS championship in emphatic fashion despite adverse circumstances.

I think there is something so Yuzuru in both of his new programs: the charismatic rock star and total entertainer Kurt Browning had described him to be in the SP; his innate etherealness and nobility (one of the earliest descriptions of him that I have read is that he possesses the aura of a prince) portraying the God of War in his FS. I won't mistake his FS for “Seimei,” as the GS article on his winning this year’s Japanese Nationals did. Yuzuru’s take on the character he is portraying in his FS is a God of War who is all too keenly aware of the heavy price of war.

As always, my wish and prayer for him is to remain healthy so he can continue to develop his programs.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I have seen a coach congratulates the winner of a competition. And I have seen a lot of Stéphane, and I do not see this as a reflection of some "touchy feely" self.

I want to see Raf run over and hug Yuzu, yelling "molodets" if Yuzu wins Worlds. Anyone want to take book on that happening :laugh: Then I guess it's not that typical.;)

Hats off to Stephane, very classy move.
It would be classy, in a non-pandemic year.

1111bm

Final Flight
I have seen a coach congratulates the winner of a competition. And I have seen a lot of Stéphane, and I do not see this as a reflection of some "touchy feely" self.

I want to see Raf run over and hug Yuzu, yelling "molodets" if Yuzu wins Worlds. Anyone want to take book on that happening :laugh: Then I guess it's not that typical.;)

Hats off to Stephane, very classy move.

Stephane and Yuzuru are friends - I rememberhis video message (a beautiful one) played at Yuzu's 2018 ice show COiNTU. That doesn't mean at all that he wouldn;t have done everything in his power to help Shoma win, but he can be thrilled for his friend who has had a time and a half to get here.
I was gonna ask if maybe Stephane knows Yuzu better than, say Raf, from shows and such, that they both attended.

But even if he didn't, for some people hugging people they don't know well, or at all, doesn't come easy or natural. For others otoh, it's just their normal way of interacting with everyone.

So no, based on what I have seen of Raf and Stephane, Raf wouldn't be the type to hug another skater or person, when he doesn't know them well, whereas Stephane would be exactly the type to do so when in the right mood.

alexaa

Final Flight
Raf did ask for Yuzu’s signature at a GPF banquet before, and told Yuzu he is Yuzu’s fan.

Raf went to Shoma and passed some flowers for him when a very exhausted Shoma sat in the K&C by himself after a disastrous performance at IdF.

Raf high fived with Tom Z at worlds after Nathan and Vincen’s win.

Raf is not that hugging type, but he is very a gracious towards other skaters. He is only very strict with his own students. As a result, Nathan offered his encouraging words to Shoma when asked about Shoma’s performances at IdF last year. He defended Shoma and Misha at the 2018 national’s press conference. He attributed his win at worlds against Yuzu to Yuzu had a bad day while he happened to deliver programs to his satisfaction.

Stephane does go to shows in Japan a lot, and iirc, went to TCC in the past with his students, as recent as 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:

liv

Record Breaker
Amazed, but not amazed, at the totally differing views on his long program.

I disliked Hope and Legacy. This, however, was a subtle that I loved. I was mesmerized. But, for his entire career he's had people who either love his skating or have no idea what is so special about him. Some people think his arms and upper body are awful and uncontrolled, others see freedom of movement etc... some people love his costumes, others hate them... everyone sees something different. It wouldn't be figure skating if everyone was unanimous with their opinions.

As for the Lambiel hug... I think in any other year nobody would care or notice. Now we all notice if someone's mask is below their nose or if someone comes too close. It's just the year we're having.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think it's more similar to H&L. I agree that it's a bit dull, if you're comparing it to Seimei. Not as unique choreographically. I think he's supposed to be a samurai warlord? Perhaps SLB can work out the choreography more. He has been without a choreographer for this entire year.
lilahozi, I see your point. I rewatched it along with Seimei and H&L and yes, it is more like H&L in style. The music in this new one is Japanese, but with a similar style as H&L. The music is not my cup of tea, (not because it is Japanese, but because it's more symphonic), but I can see how the program can grow. Neither one, however, can match the intensity, drama and beauty of Semei.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
lilahozi, I see your point. I rewatched it along with Seimei and H&L and yes, it is more like H&L in style. The music in this new one is Japanese, but with a similar style as H&L. The music is not my cup of tea, (not because it is Japanese, but because it's more symphonic), but I can see how the program can grow. Neither one, however, can match the intensity, drama and beauty of Semei.
I'd wait and see - hard to believe as it is, this is the equivalent in real terms of the first pancake of the season.... and choreographed long distance.

But I agree, Seimei is one of the two or three iconic programs in figure skating for its whole decade. Hard to top that.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
First of all, I’d like to congratulate Yuzuru for regaining his country’s FS championship in emphatic fashion despite adverse circumstances.

I think there is something so Yuzuru in both of his new programs: the charismatic rock star and total entertainer Kurt Browning had described him to be in the SP; his innate etherealness and nobility (one of the earliest descriptions of him that I have read is that he possesses the aura of a prince) portraying the God of War in his FS. I won't mistake his FS for “Seimei,” as the GS article on his winning this year’s Japanese Nationals did. Yuzuru’s take on the character he is portraying in his FS is a God of War who is all too keenly aware of the heavy price of war.

As always, my wish and prayer for him is to remain healthy so he can continue to develop his programs.
In Seimei he's portraying the onmyouji Abe no Seimei (something like a magician-priest, from a historical fantasy movie) while in Heaven and Earth he's protraying the daimyou Nagao Kagetora/Uesugi Kenshin (a feudal lord/general who employs samurai, from an epic historical drama TV series). Kenshin wasn't the God of War but was sort of mythologised as such by his followers, similar to China's Guan Yu. But I agree, it is wrong to lump the two together just because they're 'ye olde Japanese/Oriental programmes' - it's like mixing up La Strada and the Barber of Seville because they're both European. They're separated by about 600 years (Heian period vs Tokugawa Shogunate) and are distinctly different genres (magic vs armed conflict).
Amazed, but not amazed, at the totally differing views on his long program.

I disliked Hope and Legacy. This, however, was a subtle that I loved. I was mesmerized. But, for his entire career he's had people who either love his skating or have no idea what is so special about him. Some people think his arms and upper body are awful and uncontrolled, others see freedom of movement etc... some people love his costumes, others hate them... everyone sees something different. It wouldn't be figure skating if everyone was unanimous with their opinions.

As for the Lambiel hug... I think in any other year nobody would care or notice. Now we all notice if someone's mask is below their nose or if someone comes too close. It's just the year we're having.
I share your views (not a fan of H&L but love this programme). However throughout his career, I've never unconditionally liked his skating, it all depended on his performance and the programme. At his best he is the best, at other times he isn't. Same goes for his costumes. He is both guilty of the faults that others list (noodly arms and wild legs), and at the same time deserving of the praise (charisma, flow and butter-smooth knees).

I liked Hanyu up to 2015-16, but many of his later programmes weren't really my taste even if I appreciated the quads. Parisian Walkways, Seimei, Chopin and Heaven & Earth are a yes, but not so much H&L, Nijinsky or Otonal. Prince is a question mark. His injury/stamina issues sometimes tipped innate freedom of movement into 'uncontrolled' territory, but not always. Some styles (like rock) give him a greater margin for being 'free'.
It seemed to me like he got increasingly conscious of his massive fandom (some of whom don't follow FS apart from him) and was trying to fit a sort of pop culture 'idol' image after 2015. Switching around between recycled programmes, besides having functional reasons, might have been a sort of identity crisis. This year's programmes seem to go back to his roots in a way.

Costumes are no biggie to me. If I can ignore Vera Wang abominations, I can ignore those flappy shoulder handkerchiefs. Thankfully Yuzu and my other favourites have made reasonable sartorial choices so far this season (Jackets! Tunics! Yay!)

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I'm not a fan of either his SP or FS costumes. His SP costume looks like a bargain basement Halloween rock n' roll outfit one got off Amazon Prime. For his FS, I don't get how turquoise with sequins and flowers translates to samurai warrior.

His best costumes, the ones that don't look like an arts & crafts project, are Ballade and Seimei.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Can I just mention, the glimpse we got of Shoma and Rika (with a mask) rinkside watching at the start of Yuzuru's skate was rather nice: I imagine she was there for Shoma as well.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It would be classy, in a non-pandemic year.
I am trusting, and that trust may be misplaced, that everyone had negative tests before arriving at the venue. :pray: But I will speak only of the gesture, and not these times.

I was gonna ask if maybe Stephane knows Yuzu better than, say Raf, from shows and such, that they both attended.

But even if he didn't, for some people hugging people they don't know well, or at all, doesn't come easy or natural. For others otoh, it's just their normal way of interacting with everyone.

So no, based on what I have seen of Raf and Stephane, Raf wouldn't be the type to hug another skater or person, when he doesn't know them well, whereas Stephane would be exactly the type to do so when in the right mood.

I remember Raf and Shoma, that was very sweet. I am not saying Raf is not kind (hey he's now the second Russian papa to my second favorite skater, so go Raf:biggrin:). I wasn't fixating on the actual gesture as a hug so much as I cannot imagine Raf running over to shake Yuzu's hand with praise if he scores higher than Nathan and beats Nathan. It's not a criticism, it's an observation. That is what I meant by Stephane's conduct as unusual. :)

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I am trusting, and that trust may be misplaced, that everyone had negative tests before arriving at the venue. :pray: But I will speak only of the gesture, and not these times.
I know all the competitors required a negative test. Not sure about the coaches. Of course, false negatives do happen, so caution and self-restraint out of an abundance of caution is still required for the safety and security of everyone.

It was a truly nice gesture in normal times, but I hope he was quietly reprimanded for doing it now.