2020-21 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Men's figure skating

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand

The 'Skating Skills' guys stepped it up a notch with a team challenge :biggrin: Highlights include an improvised dance battle between Skoptsova and Konstantinova, a very intense game of shinny and Kovalev's lipstick!

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria

The 'Skating Skills' guys stepped it up a notch with a team challenge :biggrin: Highlights include an improvised dance battle between Skoptsova and Konstantinova, a very intense game of shinny and Kovalev's lipstick!
Lol, thanks for sharing! This is awesome, maybe even better than the Channel One Cup. :biggrin: They are really not very good at playing ice hockey. :laugh: Also, the poor guys, but they took it all in good humour in the end. 💄

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Senior team

Makar Ignatov, Mikhail Kolyada, Mark Kondratyuk, Andrey Mozalev, Alexander Samarin, Evgeny Semenenko; reserve: Dmitry Aliev, Petr Gumennik, Artur Danielian

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Senior team

Makar Ignatov, Mikhail Kolyada, Mark Kondratyuk, Andrey Mozalev, Alexander Samarin, Evgeny Semenenko; reserve: Dmitry Aliev, Petr Gumennik, Artur Danielian
Interesting that they put Samarin on the main team over the three guys in the reserve team. They all struggled last season, but still I would have expected at least Aliev on the main team. Any news about the Junior national team yet?

Kittosuni

Medalist
Interesting that they put Samarin on the main team over the three guys in the reserve team. They all struggled last season, but still I would have expected at least Aliev on the main team. Any news about the Junior national team yet?
Aliev and Samarin had awful season and totally deserve to be named in the reserve team. Its Gummenik who should be on the main team.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Aliev deserves the reserve team and should be behind Gumennik in the queue anyway. Top 5 at Nationals plus Semenenko is what I expected.

Juniors are always announced later.

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
Aliev and Samarin had awful season and totally deserve to be named in the reserve team. Its Gummenik who should be on the main team.
I definitely agree about Samarin and Petr and I actually like Samarin. They definitely based this heavily on Nats and not much on other comps other than for Zhenya obviously as he brought back the 3rd spot. I feel bad for Petr he has beaten everyone on that that list other than Misha this season but had a horrible nats and finished under everyone and its sad cause he could easily been 2nd in nats with his rostelecom score which wasn't even that great of a comp from him.

Nats was horrible for almost all of Russias top men even Mozalev with his rostelecom score which again wasn't his best performance would also have been ahead of Ignatov. Aliev with a bad rostelecom performance score would have been ahead of Mark as well. So Im not too happy with them basing teams only on Nats when it was a train wreck for the men other than select few.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Senior team

Usual CSKA bias Samarin over Gumennik (who actually medalled at Rostelecom Cup last season). They didn't want to let SPB have all the skaters in the main team, Moscow had to have something anyway. I bet this has nothing to do with actual track record and successes but purely a political decision.

Aliev's European title has no weight in these decisions it seems. (but it always did for Kovtun)

Nothing new here, just wait until someone of these boys fail, and then you'll see the usual people from the Federation whining about the russian boys not as strong as the girls, when in reality it's more them continuously taking the wrong decisions.

Kittosuni

Medalist
Usual CSKA bias Samarin over Gumennik (who actually medalled at Rostelecom Cup last season). They didn't want to let SPB have all the skaters in the main team, Moscow had to have something anyway. I bet this has nothing to do with actual track record and successes but purely a political decision.

Aliev's European title has no weight in these decisions it seems. (but it always did for Kovtun)

Nothing new here, just wait until someone of these boys fail, and then you'll see the usual people from the Federation whining about the russian boys not as strong as the girls, when in reality it's more them continuously taking the wrong decisions.

More likely there are politicking from clubs since it is them whose funding is being affected and not the skaters. Monthly stipend for skaters are the same whether they are in the main or reserve team.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Oh, please don't get me wrong, of course all of these guys would deserve a spot on the main team! You could really make a case for each of them, Aliev is still reigning Euros champ and seemed to be on an upward trend at the end of the season, Gumennik medalled at each of his competitions apart from nationals, Samarin was solid even though he skated with a back injury,...
I was just wondering about Aliev in particular because at the RCF the officials pretty much apologized to him for not being able to send him to worlds. At least I got the impression that he was a bit of a Fed favourite, hence the surprise they didn't put him on the main team.

If you look at last season's results, it is weird that they chose Samarin over both Gummenik and Aliev. (Actually, after typing out the list below, based on results alone they should have definitely picked Petr over Sasha and Dima.)

Samarin:
RusNats - 5th
CoR stage 2 - 2nd

Aliev:
RCF - 3rd
Rostelecom - 5th
CoR stage 3 - 3rd

Gumennik:
RCF - 2nd
RusNats - 7th
CoR stage 5 -1st
Rostelecom - 3rd
CoR stage 2 - 3rd

A relatively good result at RusNats seems to trump everything else for RusFed. :shrug:
Well, it doesn't matter much if you are on the main or reserve team anyway, as seen this year when it came to choosing the participants for worlds. So everyone still has their fair chance for an Olympic spot. What an exciting season it will be!

PS: Congratulations to the National Team newcomers, Zhenya S. and Mark K.! :cheer: