2020-21 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Men's figure skating

NAOTMAA

Medalist
What’s the current word on Aliev and Samarin? I assume between the two of them the one who is the most healthy is the one who goes to Nebelhorn

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
What’s the current word on Aliev and Samarin? I assume between the two of them the one who is the most healthy is the one who goes to Nebelhorn
Samarin was in a show iirc, saying he is well. Aliev has been quiet lately?

Weathergal

Medalist
I can certainly understand sending Aliev, but if they're not sending him, I'd send Kondratyuk or Ignatov before Samarin. Or possibly a healthy Danielian or even Gummenik. I know Samarin's tech can be high, but so can most of the other skaters I mentioned, and I think they all have better PCS. More importantly, they deliver at least some of the time; Samarin hasn't been delivering recently.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I’d make a series of competitions solely to decide which is the most consistent to send. We know Russian men👀

Amei

Record Breaker
I’d make a series of competitions solely to decide which is the most consistent to send. We know Russian men👀

The only problem with that is that Nebelhorn (unless they are moving it) is at the beginning of the season, usually skaters use it as a warm up competition prior to their GP events. Issues with doing a series of competitions before that, Its going to cause athletes to shorten their off-season to recover or could affect their preparation for the upcoming season and making them have a mini-series of competitions before the season going into a long season they risk tiring out someone by the time the Games roll around

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
The only problem with that is that Nebelhorn (unless they are moving it) is at the beginning of the season, usually skaters use it as a warm up competition prior to their GP events. Issues with doing a series of competitions before that, Its going to cause athletes to shorten their off-season to recover or could affect their preparation for the upcoming season and making them have a mini-series of competitions before the season going into a long season they risk tiring out someone by the time the Games roll around
Oh, definitely. But I was more thinking on the lines of who to send to the Olympics, but then, we can also assume the season is going to run more smoothly this time?

Amei

Record Breaker
Oh, definitely. But I was more thinking on the lines of who to send to the Olympics, but then, we can also assume the season is going to run more smoothly this time?

oh well in regards to the Olympics, I mean I don't know if a separate series is really necessary. Assume next season goes on as normal - they will have Challenger events, GP events, Nationals, Europeans (for a few of the skaters) and the Russian Cup Final to evaluate their readiness and who is best able to represent Russia in the Olympics. Assume next season is more like last season - I'm sure Russia will do the Cup series that they did this past season and use those to evaluate the skaters. I don't know if its really necessary to have another set of competitions whichever scenario for next season happens, they would run the risk of running them ragged and whichever skaters they do select being exhausted come time for the Olympics.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think test skates is before Nebelhorn, so that might be the deciding factor.