2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 76 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am so suprised that in US the link is geblocked....:(

YouTube channel of NBC Sports has WTT video of Karen's FS and Bradie's FS:

Accessible in the U.S. :)

(Although my understanding is that YouTube videos on NBC Sports channel are geo-blocked outside the U.S.)

... Peacock would probably block ISU and other skating posts on YouTube for copyright reasons, sadly. ...

Although the effect would be the same, I think in the case of blocked videos on the official Skating ISU channel on YouTube, the ISU itself would be actively geo-blocking its own content -- living up to the terms of its sale of media rights.

(In other words, I do not think it is a situation of the Skating ISU channel intending/wishing all of its YT content to be freely accessible in the U.S., with Peacock then being the one to impose blocking.)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
After getting the chance to see Bradie's WTT Free Program, I have to say. I was so irritated by Tara's commentary that it was hard to enjoy. I saw that others on the page said the same thing. If Bradie UR's a jump it will be reflected in her score. There is NO need for Tara to talk about it to the point I can't enjoy the program. This isn't the first time her commentary has been irritating which is why I prefer the BBC guys or the Canadian Feeds to events these days.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
After getting the chance to see Bradie's WTT Free Program, I have to say. I was so irritated by Tara's commentary that it was hard to enjoy. I saw that others on the page said the same thing. If Bradie UR's a jump it will be reflected in her score. There is NO need for Tara to talk about it to the point I can't enjoy the program. This isn't the first time her commentary has been irritating which is why I prefer the BBC guys or the Canadian Feeds to events these days.
I will take Tara any day over Simon’s WTT commentary....I mean, Nam Noogen, Anna Shcherbakava, James Brown, “rough landling“ (actually an euler)... I mean....

mrrice

Record Breaker
I will take Tara any day over Simon’s WTT commentary....I mean, Nam Noogen, Anna Shcherbakava, James Brown, “rough landling“ (actually an euler)... I mean....
I'll admit that Tara's is the only one version I heard and it was only for Bradie.

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'll admit that Tara's is the only one version I heard and it was only for Bradie.
Ok, because on the Peacock and I believe ISU stream, Simon (don’t know his last name) did the commentary and it was a mess. He’s a tennis commentator, and he butchered half the names, couldn’t tell some of the jumps apart, and if I remember correctly, called the Canadian silver medalist the Japanese silver medalist.

I’d much rather Tara tell me about UR’s....

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ok, because on the Peacock and I believe ISU stream, Simon (don’t know his last name) did the commentary and it was a mess. He’s a tennis commentator, and he butchered half the names, couldn’t tell some of the jumps apart, and if I remember correctly, called the Canadian silver medalist the Japanese silver medalist.

I’d much rather Tara tell me about UR’s....
Well, we'll just have to disagree on this one. Tara has been on my nerves for years. I remember listening to Peggy Fleming and she never droned on about UR's during a program,

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
We need Mark. He was a great commentator at Worlds. Perfect on the names, and if he didn't know or wasn't sure he explained (but there weren't many of those as he had done his homework), and he was absolutely perfect in all the other ways you want a commentator to be: supportive of all skaters, knowing his jumps, levels, spins, but also his joy in the understanding and impact of a programme as such. I really missed him at WTT where I turned back to the Dutch commentators who were very knowledgeable, and mentioned possible UR's but weren't emphasising them in eternity.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
OT: Another irritating thing from the WTT commentator: he kept saying that Alison Schumacher was "born in China but is now skating for Canada". I tried to find more details; the best I could find that she started skating IN CANADA at the age of 5. Hardly a case of skater poaching or country-shopping there. He saw China on her ISU bio and ran with it.

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
OT: Another irritating thing from the WTT commentator: he kept saying that Alison Schumacher was "born in China but is now skating for Canada". I tried to find more details; the best I could find that she started skating IN CANADA at the age of 5. Hardly a case of skater poaching or country-shopping there. He saw China on her ISU bio and ran with it.
He was reading straight off of the bios. He said that Anna Shcherbakova broke her leg on a triple loop a few years ago, and when I checked the scores, there was a link to Anna’s bio, and sure enough it said “Missed most of the 2017/18 season after breaking her leg on a triple loop”

I could go on...

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, we'll just have to disagree on this one. Tara has been on my nerves for years. I remember listening to Peggy Fleming and she never droned on about UR's during a program,
Ok, but at least Tara knows her stuff. Simon can’t tell the jumps apart half the time and doesn’t know what an euler is....

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ok, but at least Tara knows her stuff. Simon can’t tell the jumps apart half the time and doesn’t know what an euler is....
Tara DOES know her stuff and I won't fault her for that. I remember Peggy talking about Sarah Hughes at the 2001 World Championships, which I attended. Sarah had a clear Flutz that you could hear from the stands. "After" her performance, Peggy stated that Sarah might get an edge call ( She Did ) But, Peggy didn't drone on about it and thusly ruin the performance by talking incessantly.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
He’s been doing that kind of thing for years. He always calls Jason “the boy from Los Angeles” because that’s where he was born, despite the fact that Jason grew up in a suburb of Chicago.

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
He’s been doing that kind of thing for years. He always calls Jason “the boy from Los Angeles” because that’s where he was born, despite the fact that Jason grew up in a suburb of Chicago.
So I’ve heard. Apparently he said during the 2018 Olympics that Zagitova lost to Medvedeva

dancelion21

On the Ice
In my opinion, Tara and Johnny are extremely annoying and grating to listen to, but they mostly know what they're talking about. I would be a lot happier if they ditched Tara and Johnny and had Tanith do the commentary for all events instead of confining her to just ice dance. Tanith and Charlie did commentary together for the 2019 US Champs over NBC Gold, and that was a great watch. Mark also did a great job as a commentator. They should ditch Simon forever, since he has no clue what he's talking about.

readernick

Medalist
In my opinion, Tara and Johnny are extremely annoying and grating to listen to, but they mostly know what they're talking about. I would be a lot happier if they ditched Tara and Johnny and had Tanith do the commentary for all events instead of confining her to just ice dance. Tanith and Charlie did commentary together for the 2019 US Champs over NBC Gold, and that was a great watch. Mark also did a great job as a commentator. They should ditch Simon forever, since he has no clue what he's talking about.
This sums up my opinion, too. Ben Agosto is even better than Charlie imho. Ice dancers are just superior commentators.

smontgomery

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I like Tara and Johnny, and Tanith is very annoying to me, in my opinion.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Didn't he totally trash Tara during 1997 Worlds? He couldn't stand her skating. He called her a geek and a circus freak! lol. He's been doing skating for decades, so it's strange that he could get so many things wrong in his commentary.