2020 World Championships Cancelled | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2020 World Championships Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
:( Theu should have virtual worlds. Everyone skates at their home rink and live videos it. Judged remotely. Wish it was plausible. Maybe someday in the future. So sad for the skaters who’ve worked so hard for this.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I had hoped they would make a choice for a worlds without spectators (as such choices are being made for football matches for example) and with live streams but the decision fell out differently. So many athletes, coaches, medical teams, etc. etc. already there. Still, the virus is no joke, and health should take priority. I hope people planning to attend, will get their money back, and that as many people as possible stay healthy.

NaVi

Medalist
I'm still baffled by "October". The JGP begins in late August and the Challenger series events begin in September.... what's is so special about October?

It seems like it would be much harder to try to do it in October while doing a Grand Prix season too. October is the month the NHL and NBA seasons begin, the NFL and college football are in full swing, and MLB playoffs take place. October is the a worst month to try to add anything to the sporting calendar in the US.

October makes more sense though if the Grand Prix season itself is canceled... which I can definitely see happen because a vaccine is not going to be available until next year. A case could be made that the logistics of safely putting together a single event(Worlds Championships) is easier than putting together 7 different events(Grand Prix Events+Final).

It would be lame to try to do two world championships with the same programs. If they were to reschedule 2020 Worlds, they should mandate that skaters use different programs between the 2020 and 2021 world championships. And they should give skaters time to adjust between programs... October would be fine if they were replacing the Grand Prix season with the World Championships... but Worlds would probably need to be in at least September if they tried to put on a Grand Prix season too.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I had hoped they would make a choice for a worlds without spectators (as such choices are being made for football matches for example) and with live streams but the decision fell out differently. So many athletes, coaches, medical teams, etc. etc. already there. Still, the virus is no joke, and health should take priority. I hope people planning to attend, will get their money back, and that as many people as possible stay healthy.

was it ISU or the Quebec authorities made the decision? If the latter, then even without spectators probably wouldn't have been a goer.... the ISU may even have been pushing for it to the last minute (I can't believe I'm sorta defending them).

Do you think they'll announce who would have gotten their awardy things?

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
If we were ever so lucky. No, no, we will work through it, and in three weeks it will be all over, and everyone will get back to normal... they will reschedule it too, I bet. Happy, happy, happy. How could we possibly dare be unhappy about losing our one bright spot in this year. No, no, all this kicking down is so cool and necessary for everyone else. Always be nice, always be safe, always be reasonable...and what do we get for it?

It was before Christmas when our 40 yo co-worker was dying of cancer and we were expecting layoffs that my boss told me we must take risks and do that once in a life-time stuff... I did. We survived two days of sitting at our desks waiting who gets the phone call...20% of staff let go, some of them colleagues for over a decade.

But I kept looking forward to going to the Worlds...

Now it’s thousand dollars into the trash can.

I think I would not mind that virus right now.

This is extremely disrespectful to all those who are experiencing the virus right now.

How can you be so selfish? How can you say that you wouldn't mind that virus right now? Go and tell that to those who lost someone! I'm locked down in my house worrying about what might happen to my parents and my grandparents, and thousands of people are experiencing my situation. THIS VIRUS IS REAL AND PEOPLE ARE DYING OUT THERE. You will notice in a few days and you will regret what you wrote here.

A thousand dollars are not worth your life and and the life of those who would have participated in the World Cup. There will be other opportunities; it's not the end of the world, figure skating is just a game after all.

And by the way the ISU will refund your ticket if you purchased it from the official provider:

" Any fan who has purchased tickets directly from the official ticket provider Evenko will receive details on the refund process in due course."

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
If we were ever so lucky. No, no, we will work through it, and in three weeks it will be all over, and everyone will get back to normal... they will reschedule it too, I bet. Happy, happy, happy. How could we possibly dare be unhappy about losing our one bright spot in this year. No, no, all this kicking down is so cool and necessary for everyone else. Always be nice, always be safe, always be reasonable...and what do we get for it?

It was before Christmas when our 40 yo co-worker was dying of cancer and we were expecting layoffs that my boss told me we must take risks and do that once in a life-time stuff... I did. We survived two days of sitting at our desks waiting who gets the phone call...20% of staff let go, some of them colleagues for over a decade.

But I kept looking forward to going to the Worlds...

Now it’s thousand dollars into the trash can.

I think I would not mind that virus right now. At least then I would not have to go on the bus in the morning.

I don´t think individual logic is of any use right now, this is a collective situation.

I live in Spain. Some meassures are already taken here and I'm sure there will be more. We are not yet in the situation of Italy, but we can be in a few days. Some of my family members are "vulnerable population" and, if they get infected, it won´t be pretty. I'm not going to explain what could happen in Spain in a few days or in Canada in a few more days because Giu has already done it. I can´t make it better than him:

I'm sorry you're underestimating the whole situation.

Two weeks ago I would have agreed with you, but not now. Not after my entire country has been locked down, not after having to queue outside the supermarket as in war, infections and deaths continue to increase, doctors are forced to work for endless days, the health system is collapsing and in a few days the doctors will probably have to choose between those who can survive and those who can't… And believe it or not the Italian Health System is one of the best in the world and, above all, it's FREE, this means that everyone has access to medical care and you don't have to spend large sums every year. When the virus will spread to countries like the United States that do not have public health care I'm afraid it will be a massacre.

Cancelling Worlds was the right decision to help stop this pandemic.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
my quarantine just got sadder, but it's the right desicion even though i was looking forward this event and especially the live chat

evasorange

Final Flight
Fully expecting Yuzu to come out with a statement in the next couple of months “because I didn’t get to perform seimei and Chopin ballade at 2020 worlds I will be repeating them for 2020/2021 season”....too soon for jokes? 🤪

But in all seriousness it’s really sad that it got canceled, and so close to the start. Was really looking forward to Nathan vs Yuzu round two, seeing if Jason could continue his amazing momentum, if Kevin could have a comeback...and that’s just the men’s event! I know it’s for the best tho. Just how unfortunate for the athletes who have been working so hard for this week. And For the fans who were planning on attending I hope you get to attend a worlds in the future!!💕🙏🏻 And a cheaper better organized one to boot!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The tickets will be, everything else won’t.

As for the rest, go ahead and pass the judgment.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I'm still baffled by "October". The JGP begins in late August and the Challenger series events begin in September.... what's is so special about October?

It seems like it would be much harder to try to do it in October while doing a Grand Prix season too. October is the month the NHL and NBA seasons begin, the NFL and college football are in full swing, and MLB playoffs take place. October is the a worst month to try to add anything to the sporting calendar in the US.

October makes more sense though if the Grand Prix season itself is canceled... which I can definitely see happen because a vaccine is not going to be available until next year. A case could be made that the logistics of safely putting together a single event(Worlds Championships) is easier than putting together 7 different events(Grand Prix Events+Final).

It would be lame to try to do two world championships with the same programs. If they were to reschedule 2020 Worlds, they should mandate that skaters use different programs between the 2020 and 2021 world championships. And they should give skaters time to adjust between programs... October would be fine if they were replacing the Grand Prix season with the World Championships... but Worlds would probably need to be in at least September if they tried to put on a Grand Prix season too.

I think they're just saying this to placate the crazy fans (some in this thread) who are going nuts about their precious figure skating competition being cancelled because some random 5000 people on the other side of the globe are dead. How inconsiderate of those sick people! :rolleye:

There are too many factors that just won't work out to hold a competition in October (and that's IF the pandemic has been contained). The way the richest country on the planet is dealing with it leads me to believe this will be an issue for a while. You also have to factor in whether you would let junior skaters who would be eligible for senior competition in the next season compete at those worlds. All around mess. I'd just cancel it and hope it's fine to even hold competitions at all by next fall.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Fully expecting Yuzu to come out with a statement in the next couple of months “because I didn’t get to perform seimei and Chopin ballade at 2020 worlds I will be repeating them for 2020/2021 season”....too soon for jokes? 🤪

If the joke is good, it's never too soon! :laugh:

lpt

On the Ice
It might be correct decision, but it's surely unfair decision as long as NHL and NBA leagues are playing at full stadiums in Canada.
Financially weaker sports pushed in front of antivirus defense, very cunning.
I think after that decision Canada shouldn't get any international figure skating competition anymore. It is not reliable.

thedude

On the Ice
Some of the responses on this thread is bizarre. There's one thing to be disappointed in not seeing something you enjoy, but it's entirely something else to feel entitled to something like a figure skating event. Your need to be entertained doesn't trump public safety and health.

There are actual people having to deal with much worse hardships caused by the coronavirus than being denied their entertainment.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I'm sorry you're underestimating the whole situation.

Two weeks ago I would have agreed with you, but not now. Not after my entire country has been locked down, not after having to queue outside the supermarket as in war, infections and deaths continue to increase, doctors are forced to work for endless days, the health system is collapsing and in a few days the doctors will probably have to choose between those who can survive and those who can't… And believe it or not the Italian Health System is one of the best in the world and, above all, it's FREE, this means that everyone has access to medical care and you don't have to spend large sums every year. When the virus will spread to countries like the United States that do not have public health care I'm afraid it will be a massacre.

Cancelling Worlds was the right decision to help stop this pandemic.

I’m in the US and expect the situation to be like that in Italy within the next few weeks. A dangerously large amount of people here seem to be in denial though.

Canceling was the right decision, and the consequences of doing so are not that significant in the bigger picture.

Skatingcat

Final Flight
I am so sad, but it is the right decision.

I hope people can get their money back.

And I'm going to be wondering for awhile now what might have happened at worlds....especially in Ice Dance.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I know health comes first, but I’m not gonna lie:

Gutted. Totally gutted. I have no words for once. :cry:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree cancelling was necessary. So many victims though. And this sounds weird - those poor russian babies. They may never get a chance again. Now what happens to those spots for future worlds. USA was on the verge of 3 spots for the ladies. Will this mean Canada has two spots for ladies still. But one for men.

Status
Not open for further replies.