2020 World Championships Cancelled | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2020 World Championships Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think they overreacted - they could have easily had this without spectators like most other sports are doing, as skaters are all individuals outside of the risky categories for the disease being highly problematic. If they don't have it prior to June then they should simply not have Worlds - trying to hold it in the fall would be punishing the skaters who qualified to the World team because they will either have to skate at the event with their new programs for the upcoming year that would likely not have much (if any) international judging/feedback or practice this year's program consistently throughout the year to keep it ready to perform in competition.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I do hope that they consider holding it at a future date. Maybe scaled down. But I do understand why they wouldnt. The last SARS outbreak was basically over by July. This one might be too but I wouldnt bet the farm. Have good thoughts for the Italians now in tents in hospital parking lots without respirators...doctors are having to prioritize who lives and who dies....
https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-italy-doctors-tough-calls-survival/

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Did I just see on the telly that Trump has suspended all travel from Europe to the US except the UK?

I can’t even... that is just mind-boggling. I cannot begin to fathom the impact this will have. (It will work the other way around, too... a plane that does not fly to thw US cannot fly back with passengers to Europe, either.)
Wow.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That would be my day off tomorrow, trying to see what if anything can be salvaged. So far I just cancelled the days off set aside for the trip.

WestJet was the only airline I saw saying they suspended their cancellation policy b/c of the outbreak, and I was flying with AC.

Evenco said the refunds will be processed automatically, unless it was bought in person, so I assume it is a full refund, just reversal of charges.

Air Canada is doing something as well.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco...ting-bookings.html?acid=em|17487041|250092163

I think it's your choice of be-booking or a credit that has to be used by the end of the year. As with all re-bookings, you have to pay the difference if the new fare is higher than the original (even if it's the same route) and get no credit if it is less.

randomfan

Record Breaker
This is absolutely devastating, especially for the skaters themselves (and particularly the ones who were making their debut here). But I do feel it was the right call, and I’d rather have this than a closed-door event. Having virtually no audience at the biggest competition will definitely make a difference for 90% of the performances.

brakes

On the Ice
I can't remember last time I spent 30 minutes on YT video, but I did and it was worth it:

The lockdown: One month in Wuhan
Guys, watch this video, it's on official Chinese gov't channel, still enlightening and inspiring.
We can beat this sh.., if we are disciplined, work hard together and fight for each other. :cheer2:

PS: I'm deleting all my messages dissing decision on cancelling Worlds, changed my mind after watching this. :pray:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@All

Please take care of yourselves and do any preventative measures you can to help protect yourselves, your families, and others. Be safe :ghug:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I think they overreacted - they could have easily had this without spectators like most other sports are doing, as skaters are all individuals outside of the risky categories for the disease being highly problematic. If they don't have it prior to June then they should simply not have Worlds - trying to hold it in the fall would be punishing the skaters who qualified to the World team because they will either have to skate at the event with their new programs for the upcoming year that would likely not have much (if any) international judging/feedback or practice this year's program consistently throughout the year to keep it ready to perform in competition.

I think all sports events will eventually be canceled/suspended. The NBA just suspended the season after a player was tested positive.

Shani

On the Ice
Airlines have been good at this as it is thier future business at stake. If you dont get a positive response on your refund try again and again.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Guys, watch this video, it's on official Chinese gov't channel, still enlightening and inspiring.
We can beat this sh.., if we are disciplined, work hard together and fight for each other. :cheer2:

PS: I'm deleting all my messages dissing decision on cancelling Worlds, changed my mind after watching this. :pray:

I'd take anything the CCP releases with 5 lbs of salt, especially when Chinese citizens themselves have blasted this video for glossing over the government dropping the ball on initially containing this mess.

The countries which have been exemplary in dealing with the outbreak are Japan, South Korea, and Singapore. Western countries are majorly screwed.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I'd take anything the CCP releases with 5 lbs of salt, especially when Chinese citizens themselves have blasted this video for glossing over the government dropping the ball on initially containing this mess.

The countries which have been exemplary in dealing with the outbreak are Japan, South Korea, and Singapore. Western countries are majorly screwed.

Japan? You've got to be kidding. They have made a mess of things, in an effort to preserve the Olympics this summer. They have a far bigger problem with this virus than their "official numbers" would indicate. Testing has been actively DIScouraged, since they are afraid of what they will find.

brakes

On the Ice

I know, I'm very aware of how official YT channels propaganda works, but the sheer fact how numbers of infected people dropped is undeniable and convincing. They might have sucked in the beginning, but they (or the people of China to be exact!) are prevailing now. At least in city of Wuhan. :agree2:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I know, I'm very aware of how official YT channels propaganda works, but the sheer fact how numbers of infected people dropped is undeniable and convincing. They might have sucked in the beginning, but they (or the people of China to be exact!) are prevailing now. At least in city of Wuhan. :agree2:

Yes, that's true. Once Beijing stepped in, everything moved much more effectively and theyve successfully contained it. It's one of the upside of authoritarianism.

noskates

Record Breaker
I haven't read where the NBA is cancelling their season - just that they're playing to closed stadiums - no fans. But this can and probably will change day to day.

I feel very bad for the skaters who have trained for Worlds but would feel worse if many of them caught this horrible flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.