2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Only one being called doesn’t mean it was the only underrotation he had. Remember this was an American competition and he frequently gets the benefit of the doubt here.

Cranberry was an ISU event. Here's the announcement of ISU events: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-communications/25883-isu-communication-2397/file

The judging panel was international. If memory serves (and, admittedly, it doesn't always) the caller was from Sweden.

I don't think it's quite right to call it an "American competition" like you might refer to a local club competition or even US Nationals.

For the record, on initial view via an unreliable livestream without network-level camerawork, I thought he had two URs. The panel called one, but the other was a 3A combo that received negative GOE. I thought everything else was fully rotated... and so did the panel.

readernick

Medalist
I thought Circelli would be 1st at Courchevel, after the SP, but was shocked at how much Ilia has improved---he even took a slight PCS lead over Corey. And then Ilia has a huge TES advantage in the FS.....
He really has improved. His spins are definitely better. The basic skating is also getting a bit more refined I was happy to see that he seemed quite committed to his program. Although the PCS lead over Corey is a bit hard to justify. He got higher marks in SS which does not correctly highlight the difference between the top 2 skaters. He was probably rewarded for having the only 100 clean program with a 3A. JGP judges often don't distinguish much between skaters in PCS in the SP. Not great judging, but Ilya was impressive. His jumps have so much height and his spins are no longer painful to watch. You go Ilya!

mrrice

Record Breaker
On a lighter note, Ilia got a really great score. Was his Mom in the Kiss & Cry?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He really has improved. His spins are definitely better. The basic skating is also getting a bit more refined I was happy to see that he seemed quite committed to his program. Although the PCS lead over Corey is a bit hard to justify. He got higher marks in SS which does not correctly highlight the difference between the top 2 skaters. He was probably rewarded for having the only 100 clean program with a 3A. JGP judges often don't distinguish much between skaters in PCS in the SP. Not great judging, but Ilya was impressive. His jumps have so much height and his spins are no longer painful to watch. You go Ilya!
Looking at the PCS, it was pretty close... going back and forth between the top two by a few hundredths in some cases. Ilia's higher PCS total came almost exclusively from PE.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sad if Lucas does not have JGP Russia:( I really like his style.

Both Lucas and Ilia did themselves proud.

(as well as Corey C. Yes I know he’s Canadian, but he is Jason’s training mate. ;) )

readernick

Medalist
Looking at the PCS, it was pretty close... going back and forth between the top two by a few hundredths in some cases. Ilia's higher PCS total came almost exclusively from PE.
Yes, but a fair review of the performances would tell you that it shouldn't be that close. Their SS and transitions aren't on the same level. ( I'm American but I have eyes) However, this is normal on the JGP. Judges don't differentiate in PCS especially in the SP. Anyway, Ilya did great! I'm happy for him. He is a very promising skater and he is working on all of his skills. Not just his jumps. That is good to see!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, but a fair review of the performances would tell you that it shouldn't be that close. Their SS and transitions aren't on the same level. ( I'm American but I have eyes) However, this is normal on the JGP. Judges don't differentiate in PCS especially in the SP. Anyway, Ilya did great! I'm happy for him. He is a very promising skater and he is working on all of his skills. Not just his jumps. That is good to see!
It's a fair opinion. FWIW, Corey did win the TR category (barely), although not the SS (barely).

That, in and of itself, is noteworthy. Often there is no differentiation within the PCS categories - the scores are generally lumped - PCS awarded like ordinals. This time, even if by less than a tenth, there was.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There was a slight difference in their performances, though: Ilia was completely clean, while Cory had a rough 3a and had to put his hand down to save it.

Dogo

On the Ice
Welp, my boy Ilia was a victim of competition nerves. According to Ted, he was landing everything in the practice though. It was definitely a splash fest in some way for all men. And an altitud of 8,800 ft probably didn't help (for comparison, California highest point is 2,900 ft, EDIT: There is Mount Whitney at 14,494!).

Better to learn now than later.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Welp, my boy Ilia was a victim of competition nerves. According to Ted, he was landing everything in the practice though. It was definitely a splash fest in some way for all men. And an altitud of 8,800 ft probably didn't help (for comparison, California highest point is 2,900 ft).

I like that he went forward with his difficult content, even though it didn't work out very well.

In keeping with you "better now than later" theme... sure he didn't need those quads to win this competition, but putting them out on competition ice... getting that experience... is not a bad thing.

I'm not a fan of the music, which I think would be difficult to interpret meaningfully on the best of days.

readernick

Medalist
Welp, my boy Ilia was a victim of competition nerves. According to Ted, he was landing everything in the practice though. It was definitely a splash fest in some way for all men. And an altitud of 8,800 ft probably didn't help (for comparison, California highest point is 2,900 ft).

Agree with your post. Just a small correction Mt. Whitney is in California and stands at 14,494 feet. Still anything above 8000 ft and you can start feeling the lack of oxygen.

Dogo

On the Ice
I like that he went forward with his difficult content, even though it didn't work out very well.

In keeping with you "better now than later" theme... sure he didn't need those quads to win this competition, but putting them out on competition ice... getting that experience... is not a bad thing.

I'm not a fan of the music, which I think would be difficult to interpret meaningfully on the best of days.
Yeah, I found that music transition a bit puzzling. The last portion is a song used for a popular video franchise ("Assasin's creed Unity", which btw is French-themed, here is a cinematic trailer: https://youtu.be/uEVD31y8cME).

I've heard it at least 3 other times in other men's programs. But I have yet to see how the French revolution theme translates to figure skating...😅 (not including a Les Mis program)