2021 Finlandia Trophy: Pairs Short Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2021 Finlandia Trophy: Pairs Short Program

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You keep saying that, but it's literally a level requirement. It's not just an aesthetic thing, so it does not matter that you think she had nice form. Them getting a level 1 one on that element is entirely reasonable.
In fact, if the rules for DS levels are the same as when I knew them, they are lucky they did not get level B. I did not think her head got below her knee at all during the skill.

But if it is level 1, the base level is low, and the top cap for GOE is lower, too, so their marks for that skill are reasonable.

It is a major error, just not as disruptive as say pitching forward on the hands in the landing of a throw, but a big error none the less

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I can't judge the technicalities but I loved Ash/Timothy: their RD is beautifully crafted and more intricate than other pairs. You literally feel the pulse of the music following their movements. I feel also that it is quite athletically demanding (they have quite a few "little jumps" in between elements). Ashley's position with a bend knee in the spiral makes it also quite challenging. The steps and connections look intricate to my unschooled eyes. I would have put them higher up in the results ...
I am also glad for T/M: I hope they fond their mojo this time around!
I wasn't fully sold on the the program with their performance here, but I think it has tons of potential. Not that I thought it was bad here - it was quite nice. I just think they can sell it more as the season goes on and they're a bit less tentative. The OIP video was beautiful, and I want to see them get it to that level with the competition cameras too - I think they can do it.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Two big mistakes, but somehow still nice to watch. And they are going to be at the OG too (all going well)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
That lift dismount. Wow! I've seen it before but it remains great. Seemed to be a good skate. No falls.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
L/S from Belarus are next.

Big, big problem on the SBS Spins. What a pity. They did better at Nebelhorn.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
That was beautifully done H/S! So much better than their compatriots who had a nice programme but lots of hiccups and a fall. Did anyone see her face after that twist lift? So happy!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
MT/M, and Kirsten didn't land the throw. She usually has beautiful landings. I enjoyed their programme as a whole though. But they will have lost points here.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
High expectations for M/G and they got lucky with the judging. At least, that's how I feel about it. They were good, don't misunderstand me. But with a fall while others skated clean and scored quite substantially lower, this does feel like getting lucky. (or perhaps just the WC bonus). I would still have them in second though.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
They just get better and better. And isn't it a joy to watch such a tall young man (yes that makes doing synchronised jumps difficult with different starting points even if they land them together) on the ice. I know, that's terribly shallow of me. So pleased for them.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
This couple has promise, they really do. I like their skating. Throw landing was dubious, but not fallen. Not bad for a first senior international outing (I think. Please correct if I'm wrong about that).

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
O/E...couple skates together since summer 2020. Have had one international outing together before.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, tbh Nika definitely is the better skater of the two. They had a pretty good step sequence. And just a bit sloppy on some elements. Still, not bad for a first of the season after having a lot of travelling to do for ice last summer.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Yay Dorota! Second Spanish pair.

It's as if they gained more confidence too. Sure, the SBS 2As weren't good (his) and they only do a 2Tw, but they are looking nice together. They seem happy enough with their skate.