2021 Rostelecom Cup: Pairs Free Skate | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2021 Rostelecom Cup: Pairs Free Skate

LadyB

Record Breaker
Apart from wishing a better outcome for the Hungarians, I’m pleased with the result, although I feel M/G and P/K should be closer together point-wise. I also wish M/G had a different programme.

DM/Guarise’s Your Song is a tearjerker for me and I always have to think about Duhamel/Radford 2015-16. I so wish them a really solid skate at some point before they hang their skates up.

LadyB

Record Breaker
This is a terrible program. Exactly the same as any other they've ever skated, which is probably for the better because they each seem to do only one facial expression.
That sounds a bit harsh, but I kind of agree with you. I’m never into them, but seeing them today live in their nondescript costumes and boring music….there was nothing coming to me from that rink apart from sheer blandness.
Besides, Marinaro was later walking around with what looked like an ice pack on his knee.

kwalker

Rinkside
That sounds a bit harsh, but I kind of agree with you. I’m never into them, but seeing them today live in their nondescript costumes and boring music….there was nothing coming to me from that rink apart from sheer blandness.
Besides, Marinaro was later walking around with what looked like an ice pack on his knee.
I like the song they're skating to, and the original version of this program was one of my favourites from the 2020 season, but I don't enjoy it anymore with the weird cuts and instrumental interlude they added, it doesn't flow nicely.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I posted my impressions of the sp prior to seeing the fp. And I was right about Kadyrova/Balchenko being very close to Lu/Mitrofanov in terms of current development arc, and needing to continue improving in all areas. Yet K/B were given a very high sp score. Overdone in my opinion. K/B shouldn't have been higher than 66, especially with how L/M were judged at 64.9, which seems to be a familiar score marker that the judges give to U.S. pairs skaters when they perform well, but the judges refuse to give them too much.

K/B and L/M were again close to the same level in the fp, even with both ladies falling on their second throw. However, K/B had an additional miscue on an element. But they lost no ground to L/M in part due to L/M's fall error, and because the judges had spotted K/B five points in the sp. No way did Russia want any other pairs but Russians on the podium in Russia. Plus, K/B are also in Moskvina's training camp, which nets them rep status, even as young skaters still developing.

M/G unsurprisingly came back strong, getting their usual high GOE, even though their fp I find quite boring, until it picks up a bit in tempo near the end. I just do not like the music though. It doesn't seem like a great program for the Olympics. Therefore, I hope one of the Chinese teams win the pairs event in Beijing.

M-T/M continue with issues. I thought they might pull up, but no. I wonder if Bruno Marcotte is still working with them, or is it that he just didn't travel with them on this occasion, leaving Michael's former coach, Alison Purkiss, to be with them at the boards since she has been collaborating I believe ever since the relocation to Oakville.

There are just so many questions about what's been going on this season with a number of skaters. Probably a lot of the inconsistencies are attributable to immeasurable impacts of the pandemic lockdown restrictions affecting competitive momentum throughout 2020 - 2021 season.

There aren't too many exciting programs this season, so I appreciate Daria/Denis' creativity. They seem to challenge themselves in bringing something slightly different and entertaining every season. Peng/Jin have great programs. And, U.S. pairs are fielding strong, competitive teams who have to work extremely hard to gain deserved respect from the judges.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
M/G definitely need a better program. Their old sp is overly cutesy and no longer fresh. Their fp music is mostly boring and does nothing for them. There's not the same aura of excitement they were carrying with last season's We Are the Champions.

I see @pearly apparently doesn't like KM-T/MM's fp. There's nothing wrong with their music and choreo. The problem lies elsewhere. Maybe a lack of confidence; not having overcome the difficulty of having limited competitive opportunities last season; angst over Eric/Vanessa coming into the mix for Canadian pairs. Deciding to scrap the sp they'd been working on with Eric, and also no longer working with their former choreographer, Julie Marcotte, who is coaching J/R. Still though, K-MT/M's fp was choreographed by Julie, and they decided to retain it for what Kirsten has said will be their last season competitively.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Pairs is my favourite discipline, if I have to look the competitions afterwards, I choose pairs first to see them all. I cannot remember if the pairs have missed so much lifts at this level in one competition - and it has happened also before this season at GP. Are they drying too difficult entries which hard to control, is it lack of training time because of corona or what?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Catching up on the pairs before the Gala :)

Miriam/Severin - Difficulties aside, they were good! I enjoyed their program and am intrigued by their music choice.

Kirsten/Michael - Oops on the fall, but this is another team I really enjoyed, sometimes reading back comments is weird, people post this and that and you prepare yourself for a beep-show any it's hardly that at all? It's confusing.

I will say their costumes totally don't match I wonder if there's a story behind that.

Love the ice cream eating! :laugh: They look very yummy!

Nicole/Matteo - Nicole and her coach have matching hair colours ;)

I seriously don't remember the first song from Moulin Rouge, but whatever. The second jumping pass was very odd! And what a shame about the lift :( Nice throw Sal though :) and the rest of their lifts came together, so good for them.

I shouldn't have but I :laugh: at the replay of their coach, he looked so horrified. Poor Matteo, hope he and Nicole can regroup.

Ioulia/Mark - +5.00 GOE for song choice! And nice use of costume :) Pity about the doubled jumps, but loved the ending on the death spiral :biggrin: Ioulia is so charming too! Good for them.

Ooo kid pic on the phone!☺️

And now to Group 2!

Moskvina shout out.

Also Balchenko stole Petr's Gladiator costume! :biggrin:

Audrey/Misha - I was expecting Swan Lake with the costumes, but they've gone dystopian on again. Very effective music though. Ouch on the fall though :( I hope Audrey's hip is OK.

Heh Misha being happy to be in the Motherland. I'm intrigued is his full name just Misha or is it Mikhail. Or is Misha a standalone name...like with Misha Ge.

Ouch that fall in slo-mo with the dramatic music!

Iasmina/Ivan - I love their personalities :) they look like a lot of fun. Nice twist too!

OMG the death spiral! 😳 Disaster!

I'm always surprised when commentors say it's the easiest element, is that true? I'd have thought there'd be a lot of balance involved.

But they're not abandoning the program! They're really fast too. The future of Russian pairs looks solid!

They get a medal, by quite a lot of points, interesting!

Nastya/Sasha - Someone said Sasha's pants are purple and indeed they are...but also grey from a distance confusing!

How interesting, Nastya was ahead of Sasha in that first jumping pass, but he caught up!

That throw landing on the music was totally boss. Bravo.

The Diva Slide!!!

They do look Olympic-ready! S/H might be in trouble.

I do love the ending, Sasha must be super strong! He should share his secrets with the Makar, Dima and Sasha Samarin, they look like they could skate the program again.

Ice-cream party! 😋 Moskvina is a very good advertisement I want ice cream too!

Daria/Denis - This pair was MIA for a while but they've taken this season on! Love the intensity of the program :) they look great!

Wait you can do a jump in the choreo sequence?!

And that last throw to the the music? 😘

What a great program! The home crowd had quite a treat with their pairs today :)

The GPF is gonna be lit with T/M, B/K, M/G and P/K! Gosh who will win.

Who is P/K's coach? He's a handsome guy. And I'm curious as to where Fedor is, he was there as @LadyB can attest to, but not with any team?

Congratulations to the medallists! Have fun at the Gala, which starts a little under an hour.

LadyB

Record Breaker
@anonymoose_au

To answer your question on Fedor: He accompanied Ioulia and Mark, they belong to the International Mozer Team Brigade. Dmitri Savin is in charge of the European outfits. Fedya sometimes assists with training.

LadyB

Record Breaker
How nice! I really enjoyed those two!

Are you at the Gala or already headed for home?
My QR code has expired and it would have been too much hassle to get a new one, as I’m flying back tomorrow morning.
Generally speaking no problem, as I prefer the competition. But I’m a bit heartbroken, as I would have loved to see Karina and Nikita live. :(

Plenty of time to watch them in future, though.

pearly

Record Breaker
M/G definitely need a better program. Their old sp is overly cutesy and no longer fresh. Their fp music is mostly boring and does nothing for them. There's not the same aura of excitement they were carrying with last season's We Are the Champions.

I see @pearly apparently doesn't like KM-T/MM's fp. There's nothing wrong with their music and choreo. The problem lies elsewhere. Maybe a lack of confidence; not having overcome the difficulty of having limited competitive opportunities last season; angst over Eric/Vanessa coming into the mix for Canadian pairs. Deciding to scrap the sp they'd been working on with Eric, and also no longer working with their former choreographer, Julie Marcotte, who is coaching J/R. Still though, K-MT/M's fp was choreographed by Julie, and they decided to retain it for what Kirsten has said will be their last season competitively.
Nah, to me, personally, their programs are just not to my taste. The music is usually weak, slow, no accents, no power. Often an emo song to go with their deer-in-headlights expressions. I feel that way about a lot of pairs music, unfortunately. I like KMT/MM as a pair, I would love to like their programs as well.

pearly

Record Breaker
Exactly! Nondescript costumes and boring music that brings nothing, no personality. As if it's there not to offend anyone and not make a mark. I wish they'd make a mark.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Nah, to me, personally, their programs are just not to my taste. The music is usually weak, slow, no accents, no power. Often an emo song to go with their deer-in-headlights expressions. I feel that way about a lot of pairs music, unfortunately. I like KMT/MM as a pair, I would love to like their programs as well.
I am going to take my response to Worldwide pairs thread, since this is not specifically related to Rostelecom Cup competition.

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Wow, that was enjoyable to watch!
I started watching figure skating just about a quad ago, and one of the most fascinating things is to witness the growth of the skaters as athletes and performers, and the evolution of their performing personalities. And I'm SO impressed with how Pavliuchenko/Khodykin have grown, and the way the have grown, I could no take my eyes off them through both program. So intense, energetic, memorable, and so likeable!