2021 Skate America: Pairs Short Program | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate America: Pairs Short Program

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I actually think all the teams in the top 5 are capable of that. Is it likely they will score that, no. Is it possible, definitely.

About T/M and B/K uhhhh they don't throw away leads occasionally.. They do it often.. See last year's Worlds..2018 Olympics... The list goes on..
In the last two seasons, ten competitions, B/K score twice in the 120s, once in the high 130. Seven times above 140.

T/M tend to fluctuate more in the upper 130s, but they are still 12 points above the Americans, who would need to score close to 150 to surpass a score like that.

M/K is the closest, but they are not going to score that much above 135 with a clean program.

So, there you go.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
T/M should simply take deep breaths and realize that with James/Cipres long gone, the ice canvas is theirs to own without interference. The young Russian teams are still learning and simply don't have T/M's polish, maturity and exquisite qualities when they are in-the-zone.

The judges love throwing points at T/M's quality, but they have to stop making silly mistakes. There's no need for them to be nervous. The judges will give them everything if they get back to delivering consistently. With Eteri's help, they should be owning who they are, and what they are capable of doing, with swagger and confidence. This is not to say that they have conquered making an emotional connection with each other and with the audience, but by now, that's moot, since their quality is so exquisite and it's about time for them to clean up throughout the season.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I would have Miura / Kihara over Boikova / Kozlovskii, and I'd have Calalang / Johnson closer to B/ K. And I'm a fan of most of the pairs here. A good competition so far!
LOL. B/K have better technical skill quality than M/K (sorry I was using R/K previously, which are Kihara's initials :shrug: )

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The US judge actually gave the Japanese skaters their best scores. The Japanese judge actually gave C/J one of their best scores.

But yes, continue talking talking about how the Japanese are being held up.
LOL. American judges are usually gonna go with the party line, and be just as hard on their own skaters as the international judges are. And that's a fact. As, I said, I been watching this sport for a long time (since the days of Peggy Fleming, actually).

I said that M/K have already been designated the lovable teddy bears of pairs figure skating. Quite clearly, they were given high GOE on some elements where if they were from a less recognized country, they wouldn't get for what they did here. They are the only pairs team Japanese fed have. Japan fed wields leverage with the ISU, due to their revenue clout (the popularity of figure skating in Japan, which means global dollars), and resulting political sway.

Of course, M/K skated very well, but their scores and rating over U.S. teams is overly high.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh, also, regarding Evelyn/Trennt, they've been off competitive ice for a long time. I don't think they did a warm-up event, since they pulled out of two early events?

So they looked rusty. They are a pleasant team to watch. I like their grit and competitiveness, and how well they get along with each other. But they are going to be eclipsed eventually by better Canadian teams coming up in the ranks. I don't see a lot of forward potential for them. They aren't completely physically well-matched, and they don't have pop and power on their elements. I think it has been a nice partnership, especially in Juniors, and they've made some small improvements. But the facts remain that Evelyn is still trying to match Trennt's level. He deserves a more skilled and dynamic partner who is better suited physically. If that's not going to happen for them, it seems to be they have a ceiling they are reaching.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I thought M / K's performance as a whole was better.
And that is your subjective opinion. My subjective opinion is different. Plus, what I saw with my own eyes, a fall onto Kihara's shoulder on the 3-twist dismount was given high GOE by the judges. The throw landing was also given high GOE, which would not be given to teams without political favor added to popular favor.

M/K are a nice team, but they have been pushed up and rated high in the scoring due to Japan's clout, and to the popular regard and excitement over Japan having a competitive pairs team. As long as they continue delivering fairly consistent programs, the high scores will keep coming, and barely visible mistakes ignored.

Granted U.S. teams have to shake off a lot of pressure, as well as the knowledge that they are viewed so dismissively, and are never given anything. They just have to relax and deliver the way they can. Embrace their talent.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I knew my temperature would rise when I looked at the scoring line. See how the judges kept C/J down in areas where they are better than M/K. C/J have tremendous SS, speed, and ice coverage. Their sp is well choreographed, so I don't see them being behind on PCS in every single category. That is just a huge lie.

Just as I thought, the outcome has already been decided.

gold12345

Medalist
Plus, what I saw with my own eyes, a fall onto Kihara's shoulder on the 3-twist dismount was given high GOE by the judges. The throw landing was also given high GOE.

Yeah, Miura/Kihara's GOE were definitely too high for their twist and throw. They even got +4s and a +5 for their throw. It's not as if they have some of the biggest throws the competition, and it wasn't super well landed. It wasn't a better throw than Knierim/Frazier's. The storyline of Japan having a good pair team is an easy one to get behind, and they are skating well, but the scores don't need to be excessive. At the same time, Boikova/Kozlovskii's score was too high too. They literally jumped one at a time and got no minus GOE for it.

Knierim/Frazier opened the door though. They gave away a lot of points. It's promising they could score 66 points with all the missed levels, etc, but they can do so much better. Alexa was fantastic and fierce, but Brandon was hesitant right from the start on the somewhat botched twist. Credit to Alexa for not getting rattled by it, but Brandon can do a lot better and be more aggressive. I have to remind myself it's their first official GP ever together, still one of their first ever international events.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Totally agree with you @gold12345. K/F's 3-twist was just average. They can perform it better than that. They both have to calm their nerves simultaneously, relax and embrace the challenges. They've put in the training, and so they have to trust in themselves, and show what they can do. This is what they've wanted and have been waiting for their entire careers: a chance to make a statement. They need to bring it, and not care about the judges' rep and political favor scoring. Just stay within themselves, which they have not been doing that well so far. They are both great athletes. They can't allow the nerves to get to them.

ETA:
I think K/F know too that their training mates are excellent pairs teams, and the scoring can be tight with them as a result. However, I think the fed slightly favors K/F at this point unless and until C/J can show they can jump consistently. At the moment, K/F are better jumpers. C/J have the best, very effortless 3-twist, quite close in quality to T/M's ease with the 3-twist.

Apparently, the judges didn't want to place C/J too far ahead of K/F.

The storyline of Japan having a good pair team is an easy one to get behind, and they are skating well, but the scores don't need to be excessive.

Exactly. I agree.

Last edited:

gold12345

Medalist
C/J had some little mistakes- their spins weren't in sync, their throw lutz is wonky. So I don't think the judges were intentionally holding them back. But should Miura/Kihara be 4 points ahead, maybe not. But if a pair continues to produce cleanish skates, their score tends to rise even if their elements don't change much. Boikova/Kozlovskii benefit from the same thing (although their competitive history is much more extensive than M/K). Miura really noticably landed on Kihara on the twist today though, I don't know how you give that +3.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope you were not so upset by the lower-than-deserved score of the Japanese (the idea that an international panel would be biased toward a Japanese pairs team is beyond laughable) that you didn't enjoy the almost as wonderful performance by Calalang and Johnson.
I enjoyed both the Japanese and American teams (CJ) but I thought both were overmarked. I personally think these are good teams but do not deserve to be lifted up so high especially with bobbles al lover the place. I am glad Jessica's make up s solved.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not here for the judging, placements, or complaining. The skaters say, and I believe them, that they try to skate their best and let the chips fall where they may. They can't control what the judges do, and neither can we. Why spoil the true enjoyment they get from giving their best skating? Why would I want to spoil my pleasure? So I'll focus on what I love. The order is as they occur to me.

Chelsea and Danny. Brought and showed all the joy, to themselves and to the audience. It seemed to me that they were both truly grateful to be there, to have this opportunity to shine and skate for people, after having the disappointment and loss of previous partnerships dwindling, then ending. I've watched Danny avidly for years, since 2016; and I've caught up by youtube with Chelsea's previous skating. Both are showing a whole new effervescence now, from the inside out. I want nothing more from watching figure skating than to see heartfelt performances like theirs. Love, love love their lifts and danciness. I'd rather watch a pair that gives me something interesting, even if they don't have consistency, rather than a pair that is solid but makes me feel nothing.

Jessica and Brian. I think in the beginning of their partnership, I saw and felt some of that joy I'm getting from Chelsea and Danny. Not the same, of course. Their own. Tonight was a whole, brand new Jessica and Brian for me. Jessica had sass. And the two of them seemed more in unity of purpose. I think Jeni Meno said it best a few days ago: the trauma they've been through for months has made them stronger. It sounds like a motto or a platitude, but I really feel it's true; I felt that new strength from them tonight. Oh yeah, and their elements were great. Their joy was fierce.

Riku and Ryuichi. I have been charmed by them from their first international appearance, by their good elements together and their astonished happiness at doing so well. They're in another stratosphere removed from where either was with previous partners. Now they've worked so hard and they've progressed enormously. And they're performing for themselves and the audience, not just for the elements. I love watching Ryuichi. His passion and expression leap from him and infect the audience, even me thru the computer screen. Riku's performance complements his beautifully. Oh, and I love "Hallelujah." Not so crazy about their FP, but they have an edge by repeating both programs.

Alina and Roman. My thought as they began and progressed thru their program: These Russians; they know how to compete. And it's true, but it's more. They have that ingrained elegance that's part of their training. The posture, the moves, the excellent elements. I enjoyed watching them from a completely different angle. And I like seeing what makes each pair shine and do their best.

Alexa and Brandon. Did Brandon need to be more aggressive, to match Alexa? I don't think so. I think the extra aggression from her was enough to throw Brandon off balance. Just the smallest bit, perhaps, but in pairs, timing and balance are a big part of it. We've all heard, in different walks of life, that "he or she wanted [something] too much." And I think there's truth in that. Alexa wants it too much or feels the pressure of expectations, because she took the initiative and now has to step up to those changes. She just looked flushed under the skin or something. But there's hope, because K/F's qualities are there. The glorious moment in the program was the throw triple flip, landed dramatically and perfectly on the music.

Evgenia and Vladimir. I'm glad they re-titled their SP "Galatea" and changed the beginning and ending, because I needed that to understand the meaning of the program. The rest of it fell into place, the reasons for the music changes, which before seemed too many for a SP. But the story is now more clear, showing the progression from idea, to creation, to bringing it to life, and then falling in love with your creation. That's why the short piece of music from "W.E." fits; that's the love story part. Of course, everything about figure skating is subjective, and so others may disagree entirely with my interpretation. T/M's qualities on the ice are undeniable and I see the beginnings of expression from him now. But I need to feel something more from them if I'm going to actually root for them to become Olympic or World champions.

Sasha and Dmitry. I remembered today in practice and then again tonight the one thing I like about their Swan Lake program -- what it brings out in Dima. There are a couple of moments where the spotlight is on him, and he really comes through with performance value. And with this program, that's a good choice, because I feel that he understands the music and what it requires, something deeper and darker than just a beautiful skate. Sasha, on the other hand ... well, when she smiles, I feel that it doesn't fit the music somehow. When they changed their SP last year to Howl's Moving Castle, she said they wanted something to give "light and happiness." I feel that's the right formula for her talents.

Evelyn and Trennt. I really like them as people, as skaters, and as a pair. I feel they have something good and important to give as skaters and as a pairs team ... it's like comparing a really vivacious, life of the party couple with a couple who are quieter and just as creative and talented. Someone said earlier that W/M's pattern is to start the season slow and to build and be at full strength at Nationals. So they're right on track. I really enjoyed their skating at Worlds. So it's just a matter of time and when they peak. I hope they're not discouraged. After all, Canadians had even fewer opportunities to compete for the last year than the US did. And I think I felt the result of that handicap in all the North American teams tonight. Everyone seemed tense. So I hope it can only go up from here.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
T/M.... fantastic! It was a pure joy to watch them!
I agree and I think they have a great pair quality but they can't seem to hold it together and they lack expression. They may not be able to be like G and G or B and S then they need to become more like Klimova and Ponomoraenk or bestmianova and Bukin - fire, passion and drama. She needs to be a diva - heck he needs to be a diva too. They need to go to diva school. Emote. Put aside their past. Sell sell sell and what is it about Eteri's skaters. Get some decent costumes.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom

Chelsea LIU / Danny O’SHEA

USA

1. 3 Twist 4
  2. 3 Salchow
  3. Throw 3 Loop
  4. Backward Outside Death Spiral 4
  5. Change Combination Spin 2
  6. Step Sequence 3
  7. Lift 4

TES: 31.24
PCS: 28.92
Deductions: 0

Total Segment Score: 60.16
I'm curious to know why there wasn't a deduction for the SBS jump - is it because Chelsea kept both feet on the ice?

Kittosuni

Medalist
T/M always performs well in the SP so going first here isn't shocking at all.

It is performing their FS that they always fckk up with silly mistakes.

We will see if they improved on that

Artemisa

Final Flight
With some hours of delay

First I think there was a lot of overscore... maybe the only team that can complain is C/J.. they deserve to be close to the podium

Tarasova/Morozov RUS - they deserve to be first..if should be in the 80 that's another story

Boikova/Kozlovskii RUS - The program is a working in progress..... she was nervous (she had the same look that in GPF... so I'm worry for the FS). They were overscore in some elements yes but looking to the jpn pair .. they had to be

Calalang/Brian USA -there score should be higher if you compare to other pairs... they should have been score close to the jpn pair

Miura/Kihara JPN - they were complete overscore... they are lovely, yes .. Japan needs to have a good pair, yes .. it's good for the competition to have another country, yes ... they can be a good pair to be love by the fans, yes .... and with that figure skating is giving japan a good shot to team event ...but for me that 3Tw should have been score like you have fallen in a jump .. and so if you score that with positive GOE ... the judges have to score the other pairs mistakes with the same criteria .. so if they have been severe here they would have been more severe with B/K ... because if the jpn is using there power to push this pair ... russia has the same power to push if there is mistakes