2021 Skate Canada Challenge: Senior Men | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate Canada Challenge: Senior Men

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
in any case.. sayonara... :) i am going to take a break before some ice dance long evening..

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yay! Romsky won! 🥇 He won because of the PCS score. Nam was really good, as well. Nice quad salchow and two triple axels, one in the second half. It would have been a virtual tie had he not popped the triple loop at the end.

This is the best Roman has ever skated with his two programs back to back. His SP was the best SP I’ve seen from him and this free skate was similar to his NHK performance. Romans quad salchow is so consistent that he can put one in the second half of his program. He usually nails that jump. This time it was UR and so the Euler was affected. He puts this jump in the second half because he usually can save this combo as his 3S after the Euler is easy for him. The salchow is his favourite jump.

Roman’s spins are amazing! He usually always gets level 4 on his spins. One of his spins was not up to his normal standard in this competition.

My only suggestion is that he usually goes for a triple lutz and triple toe at the end of his program. He missed the combo at NHK, as well, as he usually is too tired, at this point, to land his last triple lutz properly. He should consider switching this combo with the triple flip and put it in the first half instead. That is what I would do, if I was his coach.

If Canada goes to Worlds, it will be difficult to choose between who to send. Nam, Roman, and Keegan all have strong cases to be sent. They are top 20 skaters worldwide, just outside the top 10. Nam was the most consistent last year. But, his PCS score limits his potential against the rest of the field. Keegan is up and down. He got a bronze at Skate America, but, has a higher score potential. Roman, to me is the most talented and has the highest score potential out of all three. He does amazing domestically, but bombed last year, at Skate Canada and Four Continents. But, at NHK, he did really well with a bronze medal. This is the one category I have no idea what they should do.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
@RatedPG

i agree with a lot of the things you say... i think Roman is the best skater of the three you mentioned.. but delivering is the most important thing... who is steadier? Nam was a 3loop away from getting this win.. I feel that Roman's beginning was stellar but then it lost its magic with the 3 mistakes in a row in the end of the program... Nam had two pops but I didn't feel it ruined the emotion as much.. then Keegan is well liked and has performed well internationally this year... It's a big and difficult choice to make... and most likely, that choice will not have to be made.... :)

i am iffy to put any conclusive effect on this event since it was indeed called Challenge... and not Nationals when skaters did it... for instance, a guy like Conrad may not attempt 4 quads and 2 3a at nationals... but was trying it here... Roman's program was revealed and he stuck to the plan... and i believe Nam's program is also what it is supposed to be like (without the pops)...

Joseph was also trying the 4salchow... and he got it... which may have made him lose focus as his 4toe is usually stellar... not like Joseph should be in the conversation to represent Canada yet with one spot available... but yeah... i feel it's the same discussion we had last year... and i think that whoever would get sent, a large quantity of people will be disappointed... until that skater brings us back two spots ;)

rain

Record Breaker
Yeah, we're really viewing this as nationals, but I think it's important to remember that to the skaters this was very much pre-nationals. Some may have decided to try stuff out before hitting the big stage, with varying results. It can also be a different mindset. Most of these guys are so competitive, of course they want to win every time out, but at Challenge, do you fight to pull in and possibly take a bad fall, or do you shrug a little and figure you'll get it next time.

Overall, I thought there was a lot to be optimistic about in the men's field. It's a luxury to have three good men to choose from for the world team. That certainly hasn't always been the case.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The Doors...Yay. Not the best programme by Nicholas, but - boy - I love hearing something different. Not a War horse. I'm a bit late, because I watched the Americans first - had some fun there too (probably on an illegal link - glad that skate Canada is showing everything around the world for free). Poor Joseph...quite a few falls, but still nice to watch. And Corey...Oh my. No quads, but so balletic. I adore that posture and that dance feel. Beautiful. The Nutcracker may not be the most original choice, but so fitting for this young man. Very moving to me. Conrad was a bit of a let down to me, although he also has the skating skills which make these programmes so wonderful to watch. Great to have a Les Miserables skate again. Roman and Nam were really close....SP score made the difference here. A great top 3 any way. Missed Keegan though.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Me too!
Let’s see if the American lads can top the excellent skating we’ve already seen today.

Scores for the top 5

Nathan Chen 322.28 (208.36 FS) 5 quads
Vincent Zhou 291.38 (183.59 FS) 2 quads
Jason Brown 276.92 (176.00 FS) attempted quad but fell
Yaroslav Paniot 266.97 (183.23 FS) 3 quads 10th in 2020 at his first US Nats
Maxim Naumov 244.20 (160.67 FS) no quad attempt 2020 Jr Champ

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Scores for the top 5

Nathan Chen 322.28 (208.36 FS) 5 quads
Vincent Zhou 291.38 (183.59 FS) 2 quads
Jason Brown 276.92 (176.00 FS) attempted quad but fell
Yaroslav Paniot 266.97 (183.23 FS) 3 quads 10th in 2020 at his first US Nats
Maxim Naumov 244.20 (160.67 FS) no quad attempt 2020 Jr Champ
LOL that is funny... there is no way we can compare scores from a virtual challenge event to a live Nationals... come on ;) Nam didn't even have costumes LOL ;)

I think @Seven Sisters enjoyed the overall performances and skating skills of the Canadian men and was simply hoping to have just as much fun watching the event south of the border ;) bringing up scores and quads is overkill here... but we will give you this ... Nathan is OUT OF THIS WORLD and that's why he is also a World champion ;) gotta love him !

rain

Record Breaker
LOL that is funny... there is no way we can compare scores from a virtual challenge event to a live Nationals... come on ;) Nam didn't even have costumes LOL ;)

I think @Seven Sisters enjoyed the overall performances and skating skills of the Canadian men and was simply hoping to have just as much fun watching the event south of the border ;) bringing up scores and quads is overkill here... but we will give you this ... Nathan is OUT OF THIS WORLD and that's why he is also a World champion ;) gotta love him !

Haven't we all learned yet that you cannot compare scores from event to event, lol? I have to say, the American judges were handing out GOE like candy for elements. And frankly, what's the point in dragging those scores into this thread? I enjoyed both events.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Haven't we all learned yet that you cannot compare scores from event to event, lol? I have to say, the American judges were handing out GOE like candy for elements. And frankly, what's the point in dragging those scores into this thread? I enjoyed both events.
totally... :) i mean... even without bringing up the scoring... those are two totally different kinds of events... have we ever compared nationals in canada to sectionals in the USA? come on... :) I have looked at some scoring... since they were brought up over here... PCS were also very very very high.. even with programs with falls and mistakes which require the PCS to be capped ... well they weren't ;) so yeah... i am now enjoying dance.. and the last thing i will do is compare scores with US nationals :) but those who like to do that, be my guest :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2021 US Sectionals (which was the qualifier for US Nationals) was entirely virtual. All the skaters had to prepare a FS/FD and create a video file which was submitted for judging. Some of the skaters could not get private ice time but had to have their program filmed during a public session. It was almost comical to watch (for the viewers and most certainly not for the skater), skaters steering around plodders and spectators who insisted on standing in center ice to watch.

The skaters submitted their sectional video in mid December.

BTW, during the Canadian Challenge men's competition I was shocked to see unmasked people casually standing around the spectator area while skaters were performing their routines.

During the US sectionals filming, sometimes even the skater was masked during performance. At the public sessions, apparently no one was allowed on the ice without a mask.

As for costumes, there was a LOT of black at Nationals, even in ice dance where the lack of bling was evident.

rain

Record Breaker
2021 US Sectionals (which was the qualifier for US Nationals) was entirely virtual. All the skaters had to prepare a FS/FD and create a video file which was submitted for judging. Some of the skaters could not get private ice time but had to have their program filmed during a public session. It was almost comical to watch (for the viewers and most certainly not for the skater), skaters steering around plodders and spectators who insisted on standing in center ice to watch.

The skaters submitted their sectional video in mid December.

BTW, during the Canadian Challenge men's competition I was shocked to see unmasked people casually standing around the spectator area while skaters were performing their routines.

During the US sectionals filming, sometimes even the skater was masked during performance. At the public sessions, apparently no one was allowed on the ice without a mask.

As for costumes, there was a LOT of black at Nationals, even in ice dance where the lack of bling was evident.

Well count me as glad for the professional filming here. The U.S. ISP challenge was, well, challenging to watch in some cases as the video quality varied wildly. Sounds like sectionals was the same.

shine

Record Breaker
Roman is honestly the most beautiful skater skating today for me. Ted’s quote said it so well: he’s the perfect balance between the private intimate performance from the soul and the outward one who draws the audience in. Beautiful pristine technique in everything he does too, which is incredible considering his height. If only he could be somewhat consistent he’d be right up there with the world’s best.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Roman is honestly the most beautiful skater skating today for me. Ted’s quote said it so well: he’s the perfect balance between the private intimate performance from the soul and the outward one who draws the audience in. Beautiful pristine technique in everything he does too, which is incredible considering his height. If only he could be somewhat consistent he’d be right up there with the world’s best.
I am starting to wonder if it's not a question of stamina... i mean he is so tall and jumps so high... his SP was stellar.. but all 3 jumps happened in the beginning of the program, not even getting to the bonus point cut-off... in the Free, the first 4 jumping passes were great... it's the last 3 that were rough... so to me, it would be more a question of the body not feeling loose or relaxed enough after all the steps and transitions, and previous elements.... rather than something more in his head? anyways... it's something to look for in the future competition...

Last edited:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am starting to wonder if it's not a question of stamina... i mean he is so all and jumps so high... his SP was stellar.. but all 3 jumps happened in the beginning of the program, not even getting to the bonus point cut-off... in the Free, the first 4 jumping passes were great... it's the last 3 that were rough... so to me, it would be more a question of the body not feeling loose or relaxed enough after all the steps and transitions, and previous elements.... rather than something more in his head? anyways... it's something to look for in the future competition...
What if he did more jumping passes in the front say 5 then 2 in the back. If it makes a clean skate it would be worth it. Plus his spins are so good, it is the highlight of his programs.