2021 U.S. Nationals: Junior Ladies | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2021 U.S. Nationals: Junior Ladies

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Know what I liked? I mean, we did have
Malagueña, but there was no Roxanne, no Carmen, no Hey Big Spender, no Romeo and Juliet family feud, etc., at least in the part of the competition I saw. Refreshing. Congratulations to all the lovely young winners!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Didn't get around to mentioning earlier:
Kanon Smith skated in the 2019 Four Continents gala in Anaheim, California.
She was the very first performer there.​

Congratulations to all the Nats medalists!

FS protocols:

So ... regarding Mia Kalin's 4T in her FS:

It was called as: "4T<b2"
Overall element score = 7.93

BV = 7.60
GOE = -1.67
Per USFS bonus system, juniors receive +2.0 bonus for quad jump that is either "full value" or "<".
(From p. 106 of 2020-21 USFS Rulebook.)​

I will go back to my previous posts and delete what I saw on Live Scoring page that turned out not to be the final verdict.
Apologies for any confusion.​

ETA:

From USFS competition live-tweeting, eight-second video of Kate Wang spin from her FS:

Eight-second video of Kanon Smith jump combo from FS:

Fifteen-second video of Isabeau Levito jump combo from FS:

Eight-second "podium" video of Junior Ladies medalists:

Once again, 2021 Nats results page:

For posterity, FS starting order:

Last edited:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Kanon and Isabeau remind me too of a young Mirai and Sasha... two of my faves so no wonder I love them! Speaking of "mini me"s, I just learned Ava Ziegler is Patricia Mansfield 's daughter. Makes me feel old as I saw Patricia skate in person at a Nationals... I think it was 2002.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Does anyone else think Kanon should have won this? Her speed, skating skills, ice coverage, spins, and technique are far superior to Isabeau and I would have given her performance as well.

Everything about her skating just seemed so much better. I feel like USFSA has gotten in trouble before inflating their favorites PCS which discourages them from improving and then it doesn’t carry over internationally and everyone is *so shocked*.

Isabeau is really cute but I’ve been watching her for a couple of years now and that technique isn’t improving.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Does anyone else think Kanon should have won this? Her speed, skating skills, ice coverage, spins, and technique are far superior to Isabeau and I would have given her performance as well.

Everything about her skating just seemed so much better. I feel like USFSA has gotten in trouble before inflating their favorites PCS which discourages them from improving and then it doesn’t carry over internationally and everyone is *so shocked*.

Isabeau is really cute but I’ve been watching her for a couple of years now and that technique isn’t improving.
I see things differently. Yes, I am biased toward Kanon. In reality, its a statistical tie. They will both be given GP assignments and the more important comps come later. They are both young. I am really looking forward to three of these later in their skating lives.
I am still trying to figure out Mia's scores. are there bonus points for TRYING the quads and URing them?
Quad ToeloopQuad Toeloop (bonus 2 under-rotated)7.60 -1.677.93

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So ... regarding Mia Kalin's 4T in her FS:

It was called as: "4T<b2"
Overall element score = 7.93

BV = 7.60
GOE = -1.67
Per USFS bonus system, juniors receive +2.0 bonus for quad jump that is either "full value" or "<".
(From p. 106 of 2020-21 USFS Rulebook.)​

... I am still trying to figure out Mia's scores. are there bonus points for TRYING the quads and URing them?
Quad ToeloopQuad Toeloop (bonus 2 under-rotated)7.60-1.677.93

Chris, see my post above re Mia Kalin's 4T:

"Per USFS bonus system, juniors receive +2.0 bonus for quad jump that is either "full value" or "<".
(From p. 106 of 2020-21 USFS Rulebook.)"​

See the same section of the rulebook for other bonus points that the USFS scoring system gives to non-seniors for certain jumps.

Last edited:

rollerblade

Record Breaker
The rulebook made no mention about falls. I wonder if they will still get bonus for a fallen quad attempt that doesn't have wrong edge or downgrade.

katymay

Medalist
Kanon and Isabeau remind me too of a young Mirai and Sasha... two of my faves so no wonder I love them! Speaking of "mini me"s, I just learned Ava Ziegler is Patricia Mansfield 's daughter. Makes me feel old as I saw Patricia skate in person at a Nationals... I think it was 2002.
Isabeau really reminds me of Sasha!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a delightful event! Congrats to all of the medalists! All of these young ladies are so endearing in the K&C!

I have to laugh that Kanon Smith got listed in the standings for the Junior free dance (that glitch was eventually corrected).

I dozed off shortly before the beginning of the Junior Men's free skate, so I'm staying "unspoiled" for right now. Hopefully we'll get to watch it this afternoon.

Last edited:

natsulian

Final Flight
Is Kanon Smith junior eligible next season? Would love to see her in JGP if it happens next year.
Kanon, Isabeau, Mia, and a slew of other talented young ladies will be age eligible (or already are) for the Junior Grand Prix next season. Kanon and Isabeau have both stated that their goal is to make it to the 2026 Olympics. I’m excited for both!

This Nationals was probably the most competitive it’s ever been at the junior level; many of our ladies landed clean 3-3s and really upped the ante in terms of technical content. I hope all of them can transition into seniors smoothly and have wonderful careers. Mia’s quad-Toe was such a nice surprise and I hope she can skate cleanly next time because in practice she is wonderful! Isabeau is a beautiful skater with a commanding presence (especially for her age) and I hope her team can improve her jump technique. Kanon is a bundle of precocious talent waiting to burst and I’m excited for her future.

All in all, a wonderful display of talent from our young ladies and I hope this puts to rest the notion that’s the US does not have young talent or is falling behind.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Chris, see my post above re Mia Kalin's 4T:

"Per USFS bonus system, juniors receive +2.0 bonus for quad jump that is either "full value" or "<".​
(From p. 106 of 2020-21 USFS Rulebook.)"​

See the same section of the rulebook for other bonus points that the USFS scoring system gives to non-seniors for certain jumps.
Thanks, my friend...stay well! Cant wait to see these ladies next year. 😘
a junior ladies.jpg