2021 Worlds: Pairs Short Program | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Pairs Short Program

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
T/M are World Champion material and once they deliver, the judges will reward them
I don't think so they were utterly spectacular in 2019 and S/H beat them with utter ease, it wasn't even close in the end.

I just don't see what's so special about S/H, they're fantastic skaters sure but they're not that much better than everyone else. And to be honest the fawning is so annoying. So Sui got a fabulous haircut I don't see what that has to do with anything. Han is small but so is Jin, where's his parade?

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I enjoyed the competition and the comments of all the Golden Skaters. Two pairs, new to me, that I enjoyed were the pair from Georgia (Metelkina and Parkman) and the pair from Japan (Miura and Kihara). I just loved the personality shown by Miura and Kihara on the ice and wish them well in the free program. It looks like Japan will have a competitive team for the team competition at Olympics.

On an historical note. The first skating competition that I attended in person was Skate Canada Grand Prix in 2006 in Victoria, B.C. There was a Swedish pair competing there which I remember well: Angelika Pylkina and Niklas Hogner. When I looked them up just now, it appears that may have been the only pair from Sweden to compete internationally in the last 60 years. It is sad that Sweden did not have a pair to compete in worlds on their home turf. 😢

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think the issue is that the judges were willing to reward them this quad - and they did in 2019. But you can only be WC material if you can prove it time and time again, and unfortunately they just haven't.
And no that's NOT how the scoring system is supposed to work!

Wasn't that the whole point of IJS? To get rid of reputation scoring? A skater should be able to literally bomb one competition and then win the next if they're good enough.

Otherwise what are we here for? What's the point of anyone outside the Top 10 showing up? Might as well go get an education or something.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I don't think so they were utterly spectacular in 2019 and S/H beat them with utter ease, it wasn't even close in the end.

I just don't see what's so special about S/H, they're fantastic skaters sure but they're not that much better than everyone else. And to be honest the fawning is so annoying. So Sui got a fabulous haircut I don't see what that has to do with anything. Han is small but so is Jin, where's his parade?

I did not watch pairs in 2019 but perhaps that will be something to catch up on. You are talking about the Worlds, correct? I‘ll watch it now. :)

From someone who only watches this discipline sporadically: here are my subjective thoughts. Where S/H excel (and T/M fall a bit short, imo) is their energy throughout a program. They perform every second of it, whereas T/M tend to seem very focused on the technical elements. For example in the Candyman program - sure, it wasn‘t good but you can save a program like that only by performing the heck out of it. They sadly always seemed to be stone-faced and of course it doesn‘t work then. I think they‘ve made many improvements over this season in particular and some of their elements are probably the best (those twists are insane!) but the natural charisma of S/H, they have not. They‘re still brilliant skaters and if they deliver all of their elements, they‘ll score very highly and deservedly so. But they need to skate cleanly and I don‘t think they have it necessarily harder than the other top teams - everyone faces criticism, hate, injuries. They just need to find a way to deal with the pressure.

Seven Sisters

Medalist

It’s the drama, anonymoose. As a fan of Plushy, I know you appreciate that extra oomph that a dramatic presentation can bring :)

All the top pair teams have their own personas, I think. It’s what sets them all apart from each other and makes us love one but not another. True in dance, too, I think.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Peng/Jin still have potential that they haven't reached either. That's a fact.

When teams hit the zone, we can feel the hair rise on the back of our necks. That's rare. Pairs skating is extremely difficult, more-so than many of us realize or keep in mind when we assess competitions.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
All the top pair teams have their own personas, I think. It’s what sets them all apart and makes us love one but not another.
True.

I just wish T/M's wasn't "The boring, could-have-beens"

Plus I don't find T/M boring at all. I love watching them skate, I like their style it's their own, why should they have to skate like Sui and Han or Aliona and Bruno to get some respect?

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
When teams hit the zone, we can feel the hair rise on the back of our necks.
But I don't get that with S/H.

You can disbelieve me, you can think I'm a weirdo, but I don't. I enjoy watching them skate, but when I watch them I don't feel that.

I felt that with T/M's Rachmaninoff at 2019 Worlds, it was beautiful, so so beautiful. But did they smash any records? Did the fandom explode into screams of joy and awe. Nope.

Guess that's on me. But it stinks being the only one in the room who doesn't feel like everyone else. It's lonely and depressing.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
True.

Plus I don't find T/M boring at all. I love watching them skate, I like their style it's their own, why should they have to skate like Sui and Han or Aliona and Bruno to get some respect?
No one says they have to skate like any other team. What T/M have failed to do so far is to discover who they are as a team and believe in themselves enough to deliver with conviction and confidence. Nobody questions their talent and ability. Their music and program selection has just not enhanced their partnership. And perhaps they lost confidence as a result. The other problem they have is projecting personality and connecting better.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I also love T/M and I don't find them boring. I like Sui/Han up until the moment her hair starts annoying me.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

You can disbelieve me, you can think I'm a weirdo, but I don't. I enjoy watching them skate, but when I watch them I don't feel that.

I felt that with T/M's Rachmaninoff at 2019 Worlds, it was beautiful, so so beautiful. But did they smash any records? Did the fandom explode into screams of joy and awe. Nope.

Guess that's on me. But it stinks being the only one in the room who doesn't feel like everyone else. It's lonely and depressing.
Well, S/H haven't actually been hitting the zone that well since their 2017 World championship win. Some of their weaknesses on jumps have been more apparent, likely due to their injury struggles and odd training schedule they use to perhaps pace themselves and reduce wear and tear.

The most exciting pairs teams since 2017 have been James/Cipres and Savchenko/Massot, neither of whom are gracing the pairs field with their presence anymore.

I think Mishina/Galliamov have great potential to harness more excitement, particularly with Moskvina pulling more expressiveness and personality out of them. And of course, Moskvina has been working magic for Boikova/Koslovskii too.

What I see next in terms of excitement is whether or not the very talented U.S. teams are going to bring it with all they've got. Other than that, we need more diversity in pairs and in the sport as a whole. I will forever lament not getting a chance to see what new choreo Shae Lynn Bourne was creating for J/C.

When watching Hamon/Strekalin of France, I immediately thought they were trying to generate some of the excitement of J/C. Chloe even wore her hair in a new short hairstyle a la Vanessa, and also a sexy bodysuit. But H/S don't have the same level of talent, and they made mistakes. H/S are lucky to have made the cut for the fp. H/S do have potential. There are in fact a lot of interesting new teams, but it is a journey and a long haul to improve in pairs.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Ever since I heard Meagan Duhamel say in a TSL video that what she admired the most about Sui and Han was their commitment to every little thing, that's all I need to notice about them. Other teams do have many of their tech strengths and so forth.

For me, it's S/H's dedication to creating the feelings of the music, and their desire to give heart and soul to audiences. That's what their commitment is. ETA: And it comes out in their emphasis and trueness to every beat of the music. They're not afraid to give every movement their all. They thrill me.

Fortunately, other pairs teams thrill me too. I just love so many of them.

Last edited:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
True.

I don’t find them boring at all. To me they are in a class by themselves, absolutely thrilling to watch, just majestically beautiful, classical Russian pairs skating that no one else currently skating comes close to.

But. They have never learned to project to the audience, and draw the viewer in. I had hoped that this would change when they started working with Trankov, and then again, when they started working with Zueva. I do think they have improved in this regard, over the last year, especially. But its still not their strength.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
And no that's NOT how the scoring system is supposed to work!

Wasn't that the whole point of IJS? To get rid of reputation scoring? A skater should be able to literally bomb one competition and then win the next if they're good enough.

Otherwise what are we here for? What's the point of anyone outside the Top 10 showing up? Might as well go get an education or something.
That's not quite what I meant - I just mean that they don't prove themselves when it's most important therefore they don't win? They've bombed many important competitions since 2018 - and Worlds 2019 just so happened to be one where they didn't? When they do well the judges reward them for it and when they don't the judges don't reward them? I'm not sure how this is a bad example of IJS judging?

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And that's really the answer. No two people are going to love exactly the same two skaters or teams, unless they only have a handful that they really love. You and I might agree, and we do agree, on certain pairs and their chills-thrills ability. But our tastes are still individual and unique to us ... and thank goodness for that!

Fluture

Record Breaker

Btw, I don‘t know if it interests you at all but I just watched both pairs at the WC 2019 and:

I‘d have T/M lead the SP as S/H were a little out of sync on the sbs jumps and they seemed a bit far apart on the spins, too, although I‘m not sure if that was just an impression? I also prefered T/M in terms of program and choreography - their step sequence in particular was excellent - so dramatic and well executed, I actually got chills watching it.

In the FS, however, it‘s the other way round. S/H brought the house down and were picture perfect whereas T/M made several small but costly mistakes. The latter had rough landings on both sbs jumps and one of the throws, so I think their silver was deserved, even without taking PCS into account. And if we do that - well, S/H skated with passion and abandon while T/M felt a little cautious (contrary to the SP).

I did this before checking the protocols and was pleasantly surprised to see they actually matched up with what I saw. :)

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
No two people are going to love exactly the same two skaters or teams
But there are skaters like that, S/H are one..apart from me I've never heard anyone say they're not thrilled every time they show up.

Then there's the skaters you're "apparently" allowed to like, but when you actually praise them and share how much you like them people are like "LOL, OK, you utter weirdo." I just sense the condescension in their replies, like "If you were a REAL skating fan, who understood these things, you'd never say that. Keep trying tho, you're funny."

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But there are skaters like that, S/H are one..apart from me I've never heard anyone say they're not thrilled every time they show up.

Then there's the skaters you're "apparently" allowed to like, but when you actually praise them and share how much you like them people are like "LOL, OK, you utter weirdo." I just sense the condescension in their replies, like "If you were a REAL skating fan, who understood these things, you'd never say that. Keep trying tho, you're funny."
Well, I'm not arguing with you, but there are probably people who speak up when they love a pair; but maybe they keep quiet about the ones that they don't love. I doubt that you're alone. :love: