2022-23 JGP Final Qualifiers: How will they do? | Golden Skate

2022-23 JGP Final Qualifiers: How will they do?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All the qualifiers have now been determined!

What are your thoughts on the competitors and how they will fare based on experience, technical skills, injuries, coaching, consistency, etc.?

PAIRS

PLNameNATFRACZELATARMPOLPOLITATotal
1Anastasia GOLUBEVA / Hektor GIOTOPOULOS MOOREAUS1515301327.72
2Cayla SMITH / Andy DENGUSA13152812782
3Sophia BARAM / Daniel TIOUMENTSEVUSA1511261323.92
4Violetta SIEROVA / Ivan KHOBTAUKR1313262298.22
5Ava Rae KEMP / Yohnatan ELIZAROVCAN137202254.12
6Chloe PANETTA / Kieran THRASHERCAN119203273.42

MEN

2Nikolaj MEMOLAITA131528
3Shunsuke NAKAMURAJPN151328
4Takeru Amine KATAISEJPN151126
5Nozomu YOSHIOKAJPN15722
6Robert YAMPOLSKYUSA91322

ICE DANCE

WOMEN

2Hana YOSHIDAJPN151530
3Jia SHINKOR151328
4Ami NAKAIJPN111526
5Chaeyeon KIMKOR111324
6Minsol KWONKOR131124

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Two epic battles to come...

In women... and in ice dance. Korea and Japan in women : who will land their 3a? Cze versus Can in dance which will be interesting when they compete one against another.

Pairs seem less deep.
Men... anything can happen which will be exciting.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
The men’s field is wide open. Case in point: Broussard is the top qualifier, yet he originally only had one assignment and did not attempt a 3A in his free skate. I certainly wouldn’t bet money on the podium. From what I I’ve seen though, Memola’s been the most consistent - and I also think he has the best free skate- but I hope he doesn’t wear himself out by over-competing.

All six junior ladies have been pretty consistent and Mao’s the favorite, but she absolutely can be beaten. Her TES isn’t such a big advantage against her compatriots and I also don’t see her necessarily winning the SP. If Yoshida can clean up the UR on her combination she could win the SP as she has, in my not-so-humble opinion, the best SP of all the ladies. Kwon Minsol and Shin Jia have a bit of a lower ceiling than the other girls so I think they’ll need to be squeaky clean in both programs to break through the stiff competition.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I must say that I'm surprised not to see any US pairs in Dance. I admit, I haven't seen any of the Junior Teams but, I thought we were near the top after so many years of success in the division.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Leah NESET / Artem MARKELOV , the USA team with the most potential were also not able to compete in their first event... They may not have earned qualification but it could have been close for them...

16Olympics

On the Ice
Congrats to all the qualifiers. Can't wait for the finals in Torino!

The women's event will be lit. I think the top 3 will be the podium with Nakai being a spoiler.

Men is more difficult with Memola's age helping him with the refinement that might be lacking otherwise. I think he'll hold a podium place with Broussard in the mix and one of the Japanese men who all won a gold in one event.

With so many in the women's event this last time, I wish the final field was extended. It's too bad they didn't have the 7th event but there are so many jr women it would be nice to see an expansion. JMTC.

Last edited:

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
For the women it looks like Korea vs. Japan, not much national diversity there, but the rest of the disciplines look great.

Since I'm a pairs girl first (then Men), I was already in love with Chloe & Kieran, but after seeing Kieran taping up Chloe during the mic'd up w/Bruno segment, that totally took my breath away, so they are the new loves of my life! I ❤️❤️❤️ this Canadian pairs couple, though I thought she was Indian until Bruno clarified she is very Italiano! Still, I would love to see a Bollywood program from them, soon!

As for the men, I love that 6'5 giant of a cutie, Nicolaj Memola, but any of the Nippon cuties will due, too! Honestly, I don't even know what to think about Broussard, the outlier he is!

readernick

Medalist
I think Mao is a slight favorite in the woman’s event. I am personally a much bigger fan of Hana and hope she can challenge Mao as both of her programs and her performance skills are incredible. The bronze could be anyone’s.
The rest of the events don’t seem to have a favorite imho.

Any of the qualifiers could win the men's event. It's junior men's after all. The qualifiers all have such different skill sets and strengths. Look forward to seeing who comes out on top.

I love pairs. I think the Australians and Baram / Tioumentsev will likely be fighting for gold. My personal favorites though are Smith/ Deng. They are just a perfectly matched pair in terms of age, matching, and skills. I hope they have a good competition.

Seems like the gold in ice dance will likely be between the Canadians and the Czech team. I prefer the Czech teams RD where I think their technical skills really shine but I find their FD a bit boring. The reverse is true with the Canadian team. I definitely prefer their FD to their RD. Anyone could win the bronze. It should be interesting!

I also like the diversity of countries that will be competing in all disciplines!

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
It's been an amazing JGP series for the Japanese and Korean junior women, scooping all but 2 of the medals across all the events! The only other skaters to medal were Soho Lee with her silver and Inga Gurgenidze with her bronze.

Meanwhile, men from 7 different countries and dance teams from 9 different countries won medals. I'm so excited to see the dance JGPF especially, it's going to be really interesting to see which of B/B and M/M come out on top and who from the rest can capture the bronze.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I'm excited for the singles events because of the variety of programs and I cannot call the podiums.
With the men, I think it is interesting how Lucas who was the only qualifier to win both his events actually has the lowest total high score.

Both Hana and Ami said in their interviews that they want to put 2 triple axels in their free skates, which will make them more competitive and yet add more risk. I hope they don't get injured by overtraining these elements as they will compete in junior nationals in the run up to the final. I admire all 6 of the women's skaters with their engaging programs and they all have great SS!

I think G/GM's experience will help them in the JGPF (although it is also their first time in the final too!) and I hope to see S/K on the podium as well.

Looking forward to ice dance the most, I'm happy to see my favourite teams there and a GB team made it!!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I don’t really feel like I can see a clear leader in men, but for me Yoshida stood out in women and Mrazkova/Mrazek in ID.
Edit: okay, after watching Memola in Budapest… I am going with Memola.

Last edited:

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I don’t really feel like I can see a clear leader in men, but for me Yoshida stood out in women and Mrazkova/Mrazek in ID.
Edit: okay, after watching Memola in Budapest… I am going with Memola.
Yeah I like him too, he's so consistently clean. As for the Women, not a clue...I don't really watch the women to tell the difference. :shrug: For ID, the Czechs are a good choice, though I can't decide between Team Canada and GBR. Though I like Chloe & Kieran for pairs, they won't podium, so it's prolly the Aussies for the win.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yeah I like him too, he's so consistently clean. As for the Women, not a clue...I don't really watch the women to tell the difference. :shrug: For ID, the Czechs are a good choice, though I can't decide between Team Canada and GBR. Though I like Chloe & Kieran for pairs, they won't podium, so it's prolly the Aussies for the win.
I just can’t bring myself to watch pairs this year, given the absense of competition.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I think the Australian Pair has a good chance of winning as they are first of all a good pair, and secondly already silver medallists at JW.

I really like it that the men's field is really open. My personal favourite is Italian Memola but I am expecting a lot of fireworks from the men so may the best of the evening come on top!

I am quite excited about the Dancers as well, with both the Canadians and the Czech being wonderful to watch (don't get me wrong, I like the others as well!).

I am happy to see the Korean and Japanese women do well, but I'm sorry to say a bit more countries than two would have made it more fun for me.

karlowens2

On the Ice
I appreciated Lucas Broussard telling Ted he's not sure what he'll do before the final. We all want him to get his 3A back and maybe the 4T. But, with the past injuries his team is wise not to push. Competitors are getting older; if he took a year to go the next level it's fine by me. A beautiful skater.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, Will Annis missed the final. He has so much talent and I hope this season is just a bump in the road.

Last edited: