2022-23 South Korean Figure Skating | Golden Skate

2022-23 South Korean Figure Skating

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Posting this while I'm relatively not bothered by real life. As a recap, here are the National Teams, main and reserve:

Main Team

Women - You Young, Kim Yelim, Yun Ahsun*, Lee Haein, Shin Jia*, Wi Seoyoung, Kim Chaeyeon, Ji Seoyeon
Men - Cha Junhwan, Lee Sihyeong, Kyeon Jaeseok, Lim Juheon

Reserve Team

Women - Kim Minchae, Lim Eunsoo, Park Yeonjeong, Han Heesue*, Moon Boin, Kim Haneul, Kwon Minsol* (J), Lee Siwon, Kang Eunsoo
Men - Cha Younghyun, Lee Jaekeun*, Kim Hyungyeom

*not age eligible for seniors

And Lim/Quan are automatically included. I have no idea on the status of Min/Eaton right now, so as far as I know Lim/Quan are our only internationally competitive ID team. Kim Jinny/Lee Namu and Son Gain/Choi Sungmin are there but I'm not sure whether they'll be internationally competitive. Both are age eligible for JGP though, and since Lim/Quan earned enough spots at JW hopefully both will be able to have their JGP debut.

Minsol is marked (J) for domestic junior as of now, but if she passes the level test for her 7th level* on May 15th she'll be able to compete at JGP selections. Speaking of the level test, there are some upcoming names to look out for at the level tests and JGP selections.

Women - Kim Yujae, Youn Seojin, Hwang Jiyoung, (Hopefully) Lee Eun, Park Inkyong
Men - Seo Minkyu

*for women needs two out of 3Lo, 3F, 3Lz and for men a 3-3 to get, is required for national level senior competitions and international junior competitions assignments

Will post more stuff when the list for the level tests are uploaded.

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thanks 🙏🏽 for the update. Looking forward to seeing all the Korean skaters at the grand prank Prix series that qualify for a spot.

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
It makes me sad that my lovely Lim Eunsoo is only in the reserve team. :( I fear that means it´s not very likely to see her internationally next season. Well, at least she hasn´t retire. She is still my favorite Korean lady.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
The list for the level test has been uploaded, noteworthy entries include Youn Seojin, Kwon Minsol, Kim Yujae, Lee Eun, Hwang Jiyoung, and Seo Minkyu for the 7th level, and Jeong Deokhoon and Kim Hangil for the 8th level (requires a 3A).

Reactions: ana

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Minkyu, Seojin, Yujae, and Minsol have all gotten their 7th levels and will be able to compete at JGP selections. Hopefully Eun and Jiyoung get their 7th level in time as well :pray:

Last edited:

clippers8200

On the Ice
Are there any domestic competitions scheduled for the summer? In Seoul until mid-August and would love to catch one in the off chance there’s one happening

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Are there any domestic competitions scheduled for the summer? In Seoul until mid-August and would love to catch one in the off chance there’s one happening
No competitions, but there is a level test happening on 7/11 in Gwacheon. No entry list yet.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Posting this while I'm relatively not bothered by real life. As a recap, here are the National Teams, main and reserve:

Main Team

Women - You Young, Kim Yelim, Yun Ahsun*, Lee Haein, Shin Jia*, Wi Seoyoung, Kim Chaeyeon, Ji Seoyeon
Men - Cha Junhwan, Lee Sihyeong, Kyeon Jaeseok, Lim Juheon

Reserve Team

Women - Kim Minchae, Lim Eunsoo, Park Yeonjeong, Han Heesue*, Moon Boin, Kim Haneul, Kwon Minsol* (J), Lee Siwon, Kang Eunsoo
Men - Cha Younghyun, Lee Jaekeun*, Kim Hyungyeom

*not age eligible for seniors

And Lim/Quan are automatically included. I have no idea on the status of Min/Eaton right now, so as far as I know Lim/Quan are our only internationally competitive ID team. Kim Jinny/Lee Namu and Son Gain/Choi Sungmin are there but I'm not sure whether they'll be internationally competitive. Both are age eligible for JGP though, and since Lim/Quan earned enough spots at JW hopefully both will be able to have their JGP debut.

Minsol is marked (J) for domestic junior as of now, but if she passes the level test for her 7th level* on May 15th she'll be able to compete at JGP selections. Speaking of the level test, there are some upcoming names to look out for at the level tests and JGP selections.

Women - Kim Yujae, Youn Seojin, Hwang Jiyoung, (Hopefully) Lee Eun, Park Inkyong
Men - Seo Minkyu

*for women needs two out of 3Lo, 3F, 3Lz and for men a 3-3 to get, is required for national level senior competitions and international junior competitions assignments

Will post more stuff when the list for the level tests are uploaded.
I just realized that two of my three favourite Korean female (besides Haein) skaters Ahsun and Jia are stuck in Juniors for three more years😭😭😭

With the age changes, I don’t see anybody challenging Haein, Young, and Yelim for the three spots.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Wait isn’t ahsun age eligible bc she was born in feb2007 and that means right now she is 15?
Yep, Ahsun should be age-eligible.

Also, even if she was not, I don't think the top 3 is as secure of a bet as one might assume. Korea's depth is honestly extremely impressive and some of the skaters that did not have a very good National championship (for example) have shown their potential to be among the top Korean women before and are currently struggling with injuries/inexperience/puberty.

If they can overcome these struggles, they certainly are a threat to the current top 3, especially with how quickly many juniors/young seniors tend to improve.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
There seems to have been some kind of competition/demonstration performance today/yesterday, in which Yelim and Chaeyeon took part.

Yelim performed her "One day I'll fly away" 2019-2020 exhibition:

Chaeyeon debuted a new program set to "Everybody knows" by Sigrid from the movie "Justice League":

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
The second level test of the year is taking place today, names of interest:

- 7th level : Hwang Jiyoung, Ko Nayeon, Lee Eun
- 8th level : Hwang Jihyun, Youn Seojin, Han Heesue, Lim Nayoon, Kim Hangil*
* needs a 3A

If the girls get their 7th levels we'll get to see them at JGP selections. I'd love to see them so wishing them all the best :pray:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
The entries for JGP and Universiade selections are up:

JGP selections
- Junior Ice Dance: Lim/Quan, Son Gain/Choi Sungmin, Kim Jinny/Lee Namu
- Junior Men: Cha Younghyun, Lee Jaekeun, Kim Hyungyeom, Seo Minkyu
- Junior Women: Kang Eunsoo, Kim Yujae, Kim Chaeyeon, Park Eunbi, Hong Seungah, Jung Yean, Yook Jeongmin, Kim Minchae, Han Heesue, Ji Seoyeon, Hwang Jihyun, Son Daon, Kwon Minsol, Kim Seoyoung, Song Siwoo, Youn Seojin, Shin Jia

Universiade selections
- Senior Men: Jeong Deokhoon, Cha Younghyun, Lee Sihyeong, Kyeong Jaeseok, Kim Hangil
- Senior Women: Choi Dabin, Lee Siwon, Kim Yelim

There miiiight be a stream, will post links when it's official

fehervari

On the Ice
The entries for JGP and Universiade selections are up:

JGP selections
- Junior Ice Dance: Lim/Quan, Son Gain/Choi Sungmin, Kim Jinny/Lee Namu
- Junior Men: Cha Younghyun, Lee Jaekeun, Kim Hyungyeom, Seo Minkyu
- Junior Women: Kang Eunsoo, Kim Yujae, Kim Chaeyeon, Park Eunbi, Hong Seungah, Jung Yean, Yook Jeongmin, Kim Minchae, Han Heesue, Ji Seoyeon, Hwang Jihyun, Son Daon, Kwon Minsol, Kim Seoyoung, Song Siwoo, Youn Seojin, Shin Jia

Universiade selections
- Senior Men: Jeong Deokhoon, Cha Younghyun, Lee Sihyeong, Kyeong Jaeseok, Kim Hangil
- Senior Women: Choi Dabin, Lee Siwon, Kim Yelim

There miiiight be a stream, will post links when it's official
will Choi Dabin start the universiade selection again? was the announcement of her retirement just a promotion for Playing Sister or a misunderstanding? (now I see that this February news has also disappeared from Wikipedia)

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
will Choi Dabin start the universiade selection again? was the announcement of her retirement just a promotion for Playing Sister or a misunderstanding? (now I see that this February news has also disappeared from Wikipedia)
Dabin retired then un-retired