2022-23 US Ice Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2022-23 US Ice Dance

ZeldaJo21

Rinkside
Cesanek/Yehorov and McNamara/Spiridonov were assigned to Nebelhorn Trophy. This will be C/Y’s season debut after withdrawing from Lake Placid

Green/Parsons withdrew from Lombardia, though they did not give a reason as to why.
Excited to see C/Y programs for this season! I felt so bad for them when they had to withdraw from LP. They are my fav up & coming ice dance team ❤️

dancelion21

On the Ice
The Browns and Pate/Bye have been assigned to Nepela Trophy. This will be the Browns season debut.

Of the US senior teams, CPom, Green/Parsons, Chock/Bates, and Hawayek/Baker all currently don't have any competitions assigned before their debut on the Grand Prix series. There are two more Challengers before Skate America, Finlandia and Budapest, though Budapest Trophy is only a week before SkAm, so quite unlikely that either C/B or H/B (who are assigned to SkAm) would want to compete there.

Weathergal

Medalist
The Browns and Pate/Bye have been assigned to Nepela Trophy. This will be the Browns season debut.

Of the US senior teams, CPom, Green/Parsons, Chock/Bates, and Hawayek/Baker all currently don't have any competitions assigned before their debut on the Grand Prix series. There are two more Challengers before Skate America, Finlandia and Budapest, though Budapest Trophy is only a week before SkAm, so quite unlikely that either C/B or H/B (who are assigned to SkAm) would want to compete there.
The one team out of those not getting any competitions before the GP series that concerns me is Carreira / Ponomarenko. Their last two seasons have been more of a struggle for them plus I think Anthony is recovering from an injury? I think it would be good for them to get at least one competition under their belt before the GP.

Lili1122

Rinkside
The one team out of those not getting any competitions before the GP series that concerns me is Carreira / Ponomarenko. Their last two seasons have been more of a struggle for them plus I think Anthony is recovering from an injury? I think it would be good for them to get at least one competition under their belt before the GP.
My guess is Finlandia- their 2nd GP is also in Espoo- if the assignments come out and they’re not going there, then I’ll worry

dancelion21

On the Ice
My guess is Finlandia- their 2nd GP is also in Espoo- if the assignments come out and they’re not going there, then I’ll worry
If I were to guess, Hawayek/Baker and Chock/Bates are more likely to be assigned to Finlandia since they're both competing at Skate America. There's no way either team would be assigned Budapest Trophy since it's only the week before SkAm. I'm not totally clear about how many spots USFS would be entitled to at Finlandia, but at all the other non-domestic challengers, it's two teams.

CPom don't have their first Grand Prix until the weekend of Nov 11. There is still Budapest Trophy and the Denis Ten Memorial in the weeks leading up to GP Sheffield for them to compete their programs before the Grand Prix series.

Green/Parsons debut at Skate Canada, and Budapest Trophy is two weeks before Skate Canada. If H/B and C/B are assigned Finlandia, then Gr/Pa would have to be assigned Budapest Trophy if they want to show off their programs before their Grand Prix debut.

There's a new sports.ru interview with Igor Shpilband where he talks about Zingas/Kolesnik and Avonley Nguyen

The Google Translate summary seems to say that Vadym should have no real trouble getting American citizenship in the next few years since he already has an American green card. He also says that they will compete at CS Golden Spin in Zagreb in December once Emilea is eligible to compete due to her changing federations. Igor says that Avonley is currently focusing on school after Grigory Smirnov retired, but Igor hopes that she'll come back to skating

dancelion21

On the Ice
What about updates on U.S. junior ice dancers?
I don't follow the JGP very closely, so far the Peals (last year's US junior bronze medalists), Pham/Rogers (US junior pewter medalists), and Hauer/Starr (jr 6th place) have all competed on the JGP, with Pham/Rogers competing twice with one bronze medal. Pham/Rogers have the highest score of the three teams who have competed so far.

The other teams who will be competing on the JGP are Bland/Sperry (jr 8th place), Neset/Markelov (jr champions), Carhart/Horovyi (jr 5th place), and Malcolm/Lafornara (jr 9th place).

USFS hasn't released assignments for the last JGP yet. Pham/Rogers, the Peals, and Carhart/Horovyi already have two assignments each. If I were to guess, N/M and H/S would probably get the two assignments to JGP Italy since N/M are the reigning junior champions and H/S got a pretty good score at their JGP.

dancelion21

On the Ice
Finlandia assignments are out:

Hawayek/Baker, Green/Parsons, and Ling/Wein were all assigned. This will be really interesting to see how H/B and Gr/Pa compare so early into the season. This will be the season debut for all three teams, since GrPa withdrew from Lombardia, and Ling/Wein withdrew from US Classic.

FB/S of Canada were also assigned to Finlandia, and GrPa are scheduled to compete against them at NHK. This will be an important matchup for GrPa since they have to beat FBS at NHK for the silver medal if they want to qualify for Grand Prix Final. If they can beat FBS at Finlandia, that will set them up well.

Since Chock/Bates weren't assigned Finlandia, they will most likely be making their season debut at Skate America

For the juniors, Neset/Markelov and Hauer/Starr were assigned to the last junior grand prix, thus giving both teams two JGP assignments.

Lili1122

Rinkside
My guess is Finlandia- their 2nd GP is also in Espoo- if the assignments come out and they’re not going there, then I’ll worryI
I guess it's Budapest for CPom for Challengers or nothing, because I just noticed on USFS their calendar doesn't include the Denis Ten Trophy as an option for assigning skaters:

dancelion21

On the Ice
US Intl Classic just ended, and three American teams competed.

Pate/Bye won silver with 179.63
McNamara/Spiridonov won bronze with 179.03
Wolfkostin/Chen placed 6th with 164.07

These three teams competed against each other at Lake Placid, where M/S won, P/B were in silver, and W/C were in bronze. Jeffrey fell on the midline step in the rhythm dance, which is why their score is so low. Of course, it's going to be a very interesting battle between P/B and M/S, and P/B only outscored M/S by 0.6 points here, while M/S won out by only 2.5 points at Lake Placid.

The JGP in Armenia was postponed because of the political situation there. Of course, this is unfortunate for Bland/Sperry and Neset/Markelov, who were assigned.

Lombardia Trophy starts today, where Bratti/Somerville are competing. It will be interesting to see how their total score compares to P/B, M/S, and W/C. When all four teams competed against each other at Lake Placid, B/S were fourth behind the other three.

dancelion21

On the Ice
Isabella Flores and her new partner, Ivan Desyatov, look good in training clips. Someone said they have already competed in a tune-up. I look forward to seeing how they develop.

They've competed once already, and we have scoresheets, though I haven't seen a video anywhere. Since Ivan competed for Belarus last season, they aren't international eligible yet.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ Thanks for sharing @dancelion21. Those look like very good scores for Bella/Ivan for a first outing. 👍 I look forward to seeing them compete.

What other domestic comps might they be eligible for in the lead-up to U.S. Nationals? Have they both aged out of juniors? Or, could they still compete domestically in juniors without age restrictions? If possible, it would provide them an opportunity to establish themselves as a new team before moving up to seniors (both domestically and internationally).

dancelion21

On the Ice
^^ Thanks for sharing @dancelion21. Those look like very good scores for Bella/Ivan for a first outing. 👍 I look forward to seeing them compete.

What other domestic comps might they be eligible for in the lead-up to U.S. Nationals? Have they both aged out of juniors? Or, could they still compete domestically in juniors without age restrictions? If possible, it would provide them an opportunity to establish themselves as a new team before moving up to seniors (both domestically and internationally).
They should be able to compete in the National Qualifying Series so that they can qualify for US Nationals. Both Bella and Ivan have aged out of juniors, and they competed senior at the Silicon Valley Open, so they're definitely going to be competing senior at US Nationals this year. I would definitely be keeping an eye out to see if they show up at any of the NQS competitions this fall. If I'm correct, Ivan should be able to compete for the US in the spring since his last competition for Belarus last season was on the JGP. It would definitely help them get assignments to Senior B comps in the spring by competing domestically this fall.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Lombardia Trophy just ended, and Bratti/Somerville placed 4th with a total score of 170.54.
I thought they were a little underscored in the free dance. Co and Pr high 7s is okay I would have given them low 8s. Though that would not have and should not have made a difference in the final standings.