2022 Four Continents: Women's Free Skate | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2022 Four Continents: Women's Free Skate

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
this whole event has been so relaxing, no fandom wars, no wuzzrobbings, that's why is one of my favourites! see you for pairs in a couple of hours
For me it was the competition of the year. And a dream podium.

Edit: I still have to replay last seven girls from Junior Russian Ladies FP. So It can change in an hour. But I don't think it will :D

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
So happy that Mai and Rino end their season on an high note after disappointing nats. Best performances of the night for me :clap:
I wish them both health for next season. When healthy, they are spectacularly consistents and float even better on the ice.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tzu-Han Ting (TPE) 2022 National Champion

I’m satisfied with my performance today. Yesterday I talked with my coach on how to improve my first jump (3 Lutz+3 toe). Today I’m more concentrated. Despite the small mistake, I’m happy that I can overcome my mental barrier (on it).

(on next plan) There will be the Nordics in Denmark next week. I’ll go with my Canadian coach (Joey Russell). I’ll try to get the World minimum score for short program in Denmark again.

(on back to training in Taipei) I don’t have much time for training because I’m still a full-time student. I usually train on ice at 6-7am and 10-11am. I already had enough technical elements (jumps), so my focus is on the mentality and consistency.

(on difference between juniors and seniors) The biggest difference is I have to be more independent in seniors. I didn’t rely too much on my coach for training, competition preparation. The physical growth didn’t affect me much but I have to put more effort on my mental health the past year.

(on free program music) I always like Disney music because you can interpret the music easier. There was a new Aladdin movie couple of years ago. I really like the movie.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuhana Yokoi (JPN) 2020 Challenge Cup silver medalist

The music is very exciting so I just wanted the judges and audience to enjoy my performance. I popped one jump (3S-3T-2T became 3S-2T) but overall I’m happy.

(on holding up a T-shirt) The T-shirt was given to me when I departed for the Four Continents. It is a message from my club mates and they didn’t say “have a perfect performance”, but that I should enjoy myself and be myself, so it really resonated with me and I was encouraged. The T-Shirt was given to me through my coach and Yamamoto and Nakamura were on the ice with us so they wrote messages as well.

(on her development this season) Every competition I try to learn from events and to do better but it doesn’t always go well. I wanted to skate with a smile even if I make mistakes. Of course, a clean and perfect program is ideal, but I was able to embrace everything despite mistakes. I didn’t run away even when things got tough. I did that several times and I’m proud that I persevered. I was able to push myself so this would be a good lesson learned from the season.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alison Schumacher (CAN) 2022 National Championships 5th

(on struggling throughout the season) I’ve been struggling with putting out triple-triple in the short, I think also working on my underrotations and just overall going for them in the programs, I back off sometimes and sometimes I pop, so I’m really working on that. Today I’m happy about the way it went, just because it was really tough for me to put up a good program this entire season, so I’m really happy I did it on a high note.

(on music and the switching back to the program from last season) This was my coach Joey Russell’s idea, he also choreographed it. I actually had a different program for nationals this season, but wasn’t putting up performances with that one, so we decided to switch it back to this one (from last season).

(on plans after the competition) It’s all up in the air right now, especially with Covid in Canada, in my province, the regulations keep changing, so I don’t know how much I’ll be able to train. (on her next goal) I think, the triple-triple is something I really struggle with, especially in competition and under pressure, so I think, the triple-triple in my short program is one of my important goals at the moment.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kailani Craine (AUS) Eight-time National Champion

Obviously I wasn’t completely satisfied with my performance overall today. I was really happy with the opening of the program. That’s probably one of the best openings I’ve done all season. So that’s a great improvement. Obviously I made mistakes in the second half, but I’m very happy overall.

(on the Olympic spot). I think our team is being announced in about an hour and 20 minutes. Our policy is to combine TES from both Finlandia and this competition. I think I have no problem doing that. I already added up the numbers and it should be fine! Probably we’ll get the confirmation in the next hour and half.

(on the goals in Beijing 2022) I want to really enjoy the experience. I do last time obviously. I would love to do the personal best, and also keep doing 3+3 combo at the end of the short program. That’s definitely a goal of mine and something I need to nail. This whole season I haven’t held it back to 3+2. That’s what I’m definitely looking forward to. (on next plans) I think the next thing I would need to do is Worlds. After that I would sit back and see where we’re at and what else we want to achieve. I usually focus on one season at a time, or at least one quad cycle at a time. We’ll think about a little bit more after the Worlds.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gabrielle Daleman (CAN) 2017 World bronze medalist

Again, it wasn’t perfect, but I’m really happy about the performance, and I was keeping up the program. Again, I missed the combo that people have literally named after me, but I was thinking “OK, what can I do to make up some points”, so I kept fighting for everything and I didn’t give up, and it just feels really happy to be back. It’s always a step forward and every competition is a learning experience, so I feel like this was a big step forward and yes, there is still a lot to improve but I’m happy with how today went even though there were mistakes.

(next goal) I’m first alternate for Olympics and Worlds, so my next goal is to go home train and get ready in case something happens and just keep improving and get ready for next season, go day by day. When people found out I’m staying, I got a lot of response, as people sent me videos them crying and they were very happy, so it really melted my heart.

(on her beauty contest career) I won Miss Ontario and I’m just going a step further and keeping what I’m doing and showing that it’s Ok to embrace your body, we are perfect in our own ways, we are beautiful in our own ways and just enjoy life.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rino Matsuike (JPN) 2021 National Junior Champion

I scored 60 points in the SP and it’s the first time I reached 140 in the FS and got a total over 200, that is great! I learned in these international competitions that the tension is different and I was able to see different skaters and their uniqueness. I learned a lot from them. goal next season, maybe 3a?) This season I had very few clean SP and FS programs, so next season I want to skate perfectly clean. There are many skaters who jump a 3A and a quad, so I would like to make that challenge.

(on tears) This season at NHK, Rostelecom and Nationals, I had a lot of regrets and here in the SP I made mistakes and was down. I was crying and really under pressure but I was able to push myself and today’s performance was good. I’m so happy. My coach told me I have trained well and done everything I can, so she told me to keep calm and that’s what I did. As for the next competition, we don’t know yet.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gabriella Izzo (USA) 2022 National Championships 4th

(on the skate today) it’s not exactly what I was hoping for and I know that I can do better my goal is to do a better LP I will go home and work harder. I’m a little disappointed. More than anything your body as much as you want and you can be in the best shape and you can run programs like they are nothing but it’s a mental game at the end I tapped out in the middle and got back in the end but it’s not good enough and it’s not going to cut it. I need to train not only my body to do the jumps like they are nothing and run through 23 times and it’s going to be whatever it is but also knowing that I can do it and I need to just quiet and do what I need to do.

(on her season) It was an interesting one, I came up with the nationals, second shoulder surgery, the coach stepped away, switched coaches, I wasn’t really jumping and coming from the shoulder surgery and they told to try the competition in two months and I had a competition every other week and there were ups and downs. I learned even when am tired I can still push through and it’s a mental determination more than anything.

(on the plans this season) Right now I’m a third alternate for the Olympics and for Worlds and I don’t know what will happen there and it might be my last competition this season and I’m not really sure where I’m going from here.

(on the text season plans) I will continue to combine the studies and the skating at this point I’m going to take it day by day and see what happens.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Its amazing what a nice competition you can have without the needless q calls all over the place. Lol

icybear

Medalist
So Mai decided to peak in an olympic season but excluding nationals? That kinda defeats the purpose. :biggrin:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with the podium but I think Haein Lee should have won the free skate. She should have been ahead of Mai in PCS and also, Mai had a problem with her final spin. Mai still would have won based on her lead in the short program.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Audrey Shin (USA) 2022 National Championships 6th

(on her performance today and new her three personal best scores) I think I was very focused for this competition and I think I did a good job of staying in my own bubble and just focusing on myself and my own technique and my skating and that really helped a lot for this competition.

(on her future plans) I think this is a huge confidence boost for my upcoming season. I’m just going to try and work hard on everything, improving my jumps even more, and getting new programs is so exciting, and so just continuing on from this competition.

(on jump goals) Before I got injured the last year I was working on triple Axel and quad toe and it was honestly pretty close - a quarter turn cheated - and I was landing them. Unfortunately I got injured and that held back everything else. I really hope that I can go back home and start working on it – first on the harness to be safe and then off the harness.