2022 MK John Wilson Trophy | Golden Skate

2022 MK John Wilson Trophy

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2022 MK John Wilson Trophy is the fourth of sixth events of the 2022-23 Grand Prix series and is scheduled to take place Nov. 11-13, 2022, in Sheffield, Great Britain. The ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series consists of six international senior invitational events and culminates with the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final in December in Torino, Italy.
The Skaters are selected and invited to the six Grand Prix of Figure Skating events based on the results of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022. Skaters/Couples who have placed 1 to 6 in each of the four categories are seeded and assigned to two events. Skaters/ Couples who have placed 7-12 at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships are selected for two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events, and Skaters with a top 24 Seasonal Best Scores (from the 2021/22 season) as well as those placed in the top 24 of the ISU World Standings can also be invited. If available, medalists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships can also be selected.

In order for a Skater/Couple to be eligible to compete at an ISU Grand Prix event, a minimum total score must have been achieved in the 2021/22 or current 2022/23 season at an ISU event (Grand Prix, Junior Grand Prix, Championships) or a Challenger Series event. Exceptions apply to host country Skaters, previously ranked Skaters or split ranked Couples who return with new partners. The minimum total score is 3/5 of highest score per discipline at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022 and are as follows: Women: 141.65, Men: 187.49, Pairs: 132.65, Ice Dance: 137.89

laura_fsfan

Spectator
Impressed that it's almost sold out. That's wonderful news, I hope it means the UK will host more events in the future. I hesitated buying an all-event ticket but I found it to be slightly too expensive. Since I'm already going to Turin I'll sadly skip on this one :(

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Impressed that it's almost sold out. That's wonderful news, I hope it means the UK will host more events in the future. I hesitated buying an all-event ticket but I found it to be slightly too expensive. Since I'm already going to Turin I'll sadly skip on this one :(
Tickets are certainly expensive - I wasn't expecting them to be this much, especially as the rink is far from fancy, nor very big. I can only justify the expense because I live here.

You'll have a wonderful time in Turin, for sure, @laura_fsfan - beautiful city, fantastic arena.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
As far as I remember it has always been either all-events or one-day ticket. They don't do individual event as that would mean asking the public to leave and re-enter after each event. Too much logistic for a Grand Prix I believe.
Oh I didn’t realise that. Good to know for the future.

icybear

Medalist
Skate america is said to be also sold out but I have never seen a full arena in Skam. I doubt it is sold out in Sheffield, they are probably releasing them in batches, They like to give the impression there are little seats left so people will be in a rush to buy them and give them less time to consider the hefty price.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As far as I remember it has always been either all-events or one-day ticket. They don't do individual event as that would mean asking the public to leave and re-enter after each event. Too much logistic for a Grand Prix I believe.
I haven't seen you around, and you are very welcome.

Just a few posts from you, and they're informative and useful. This is a rare quality!

laura_fsfan

Spectator
Tickets are certainly expensive - I wasn't expecting them to be this much, especially as the rink is far from fancy, nor very big. I can only justify the expense because I live here.

You'll have a wonderful time in Turin, for sure, @laura_fsfan - beautiful city, fantastic arena.
I understand! I hope you'll have a wonderful time there. First ever GP on UK soil, it is something special!
Thanks, I will soon start praying the skate gods that all skaters remain healthy during the season so we can have an epic GPF to start this new Olympic cycle :bow:

laura_fsfan

Spectator
Skate america is said to be also sold out but I have never seen a full arena in Skam. I doubt it is sold out in Sheffield, they are probably releasing them in batches, They like to give the impression there are little seats left so people will be in a rush to buy them and give them less time to consider the hefty price.
oh, I didn't know that but that makes sense. Cheap marketing strategy to count on impulsive buy (I so fall for that often though lol) but hey, if it works for them...

eleonora.d

On the Ice
I haven't been active here for ages, but I came back just to check this thread :) I just bought all events tickets, but there's no detailed schedule. I was wondering if I could make it to Manchester airport by 7.30pm if I stay for the gala, but I doubt it.
I have been to many ISU championships, but never a GP. Looking forward to meeting some of you there!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I don't know if this will affect anybody, but it was announced yesterday that the nearest international airport to Sheffield, Robin Hood Airport (at Finningley, near Doncaster), is closing down. It is due to start winding down from 31st October.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-63033676

Unfortunately, the story doesn't indicate how long the winding down process will take, or when flights from particular places would stop.

I take it anybody who has already booked flights to that airport will be contacted by their airline.

Alternative airports would be Leeds Bradford (at Yeadon, roughly halfway between the two Yorkshire cities the airport is named after); East Midlands (at Castle Donington, Leicestershire); and Manchester (at Ringway, Cheshire). All are between 1 hour and 1h 30m from Sheffield.

Not good timing for anybody going to the skating.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

gleungc6

On the Ice
Does anyone roughly know when the Saturday will start and finish? If I get in at 10am and leave at 7pm, would I miss much?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Does anyone roughly know when the Saturday will start and finish? If I get in at 10am and leave at 7pm, would I miss much?

Here's the Coloured Time Schedule:

https://results.isu.org/schedules/gpgbr2022_ColouredTimeSchedule.pdf

Saturday's first segment, the Short Dance, starts at 13:45 GMT; and the day's last segment, the Men's Free, ends at 21:54 GMT (although there are Podium Ceremonies for the Pairs and Men after that).

10:00 GMT is in between the Ladies SP Practice and the Pairs FS Practice. 19:00 GMT is half an hour into the Pairs Free (it is due to finish at 19:47 GMT).

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

gleungc6

On the Ice
Here's the Coloured Time Schedule:

https://results.isu.org/schedules/gpgbr2022_ColouredTimeSchedule.pdf

Saturday's first segment, the Short Dance, starts at 13:45 GMT; and the day's last segment, the Men's Free, ends at 21:54 GMT (although there are Podium Ceremonies for the Pairs and Men after that).

10:00 GMT is in between the Ladies SP Practice and the Pairs FS Practice. 19:00 GMT is half an hour into the Pairs Free (it is due to finish at 19:47 GMT).

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan
Thank you so much, this really really helps :)