2022 MK John Wilson Trophy | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022 MK John Wilson Trophy

eleonora.d

On the Ice
Has anybody been attending ISU events at this arena before? Maybe 2012 Euros? I have no idea what to wear- coming from Ireland, I expect the weather outside to be the same, but if the arena isn’t heated, sitting still for many hours can feel like freezing and I am just recovering from long covid 🥶☃️ Shall I pack my thermals and gloves?

Last edited:

gleungc6

On the Ice
Does anyone know if we can bring stuffies to throw? I tried submitting a form but I haven’t gotten a reply yet

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Tickets are certainly expensive - I wasn't expecting them to be this much, especially as the rink is far from fancy, nor very big. I can only justify the expense because I live here.

You'll have a wonderful time in Turin, for sure, @laura_fsfan - beautiful city, fantastic arena.
What does expensive mean to you? Just curious. Premium tickets are 300 pounds, which should have been what SA costs. I didnt make this SA but tickets are the cheepest part of the event. A 100 pounds a day for four events, if that is what it was, doesnt seem bad.
This will be interesting....will Bradie show?
ISU GP MK John Wilson Trophy 2022
Women
Entries

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Skate america is said to be also sold out but I have never seen a full arena in Skam. I doubt it is sold out in Sheffield, they are probably releasing them in batches, They like to give the impression there are little seats left so people will be in a rush to buy them and give them less time to consider the hefty price.
I thought the SA effect was odd....they said it was sold out....ok, they got their money....but many people chose to not attend events and did not give their tickets away to anyone to use.....there were lots of empty seats at certain events. I dont know if the tickets were paper but it they were, it would have been a simple matter to have a table where people could leave off their tickets for say ice dance that they were not going to use and a volunteer could take them and they could be given to skaters from local clubs in the area. This would help food vendors as well. In the age of digital tickets, this is much harder to do, from an old person's point of view....in the days of paper, I certainly have given tickets away to strangers and friends....or even sold the gala tickets.....

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Has anybody been attending ISU events at this arena before? Maybe 2012 Euros? I have no idea what to wear- coming from Ireland, I expect the weather outside to be the same, but if the arena isn’t heated, sitting still for many hours can feel like freezing and I am just recovering from long covid 🥶☃️ Shall I pack my thermals and gloves?
It's not particularly cold - but I guess if you're recovering from being poorly, you might feel the cold more.

It's quite mild in Sheffield at the moment, and the forecast for the end of the week is 12-15 Celsius.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
What does expensive mean to you? Just curious. Premium tickets are 300 pounds, which should have been what SA costs. I didnt make this SA but tickets are the cheepest part of the event. A 100 pounds a day for four events, if that is what it was, doesnt seem bad.
This will be interesting....will Bradie show?
ISU GP MK John Wilson Trophy 2022
Women
Entries
I think it's expensive - a lot of people I've spoken to aren't going to the event, because the tickets are too expensive for them - this is more than a week's wages for a lot of people, certainly in Sheffield. The Internationaux de France tickets at Grenoble were about 15 Euros a day (£12). This event is £80 per day ticket.

Also, the venue is quite small in terms of seating, and not at all fancy compared to other Grand Prix venues I've been too. There's a small cafe on site (not very good), not many toilets.

There's a nice cafe about 5 minutes drive away (La Piazza on Brightside Lane/Newhall Road), which has plenty of space, and nice coffee, paninis, etc. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...Coffee-Sheffield_South_Yorkshire_England.html

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Does anyone know if we can bring stuffies to throw? I tried submitting a form but I haven’t gotten a reply yet
My guess is that you will be able to do this. People were allowed to throw stuffies at the Britannia Cup (held at the same venue in August)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think it's expensive - a lot of people I've spoken to aren't going to the event, because the tickets are too expensive for them - this is more than a week's wages for a lot of people, certainly in Sheffield. The Internationaux de France tickets at Grenoble were about 15 Euros a day (£12). This event is £80 per day ticket.

Also, the venue is quite small in terms of seating, and not at all fancy compared to other Grand Prix venues I've been too. There's a small cafe on site (not very good), not many toilets.

There's a nice cafe about 5 minutes drive away (La Piazza on Brightside Lane/Newhall Road), which has plenty of space, and nice coffee, paninis, etc. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...Coffee-Sheffield_South_Yorkshire_England.html
Wow....in the US, a fast food worker makes twice the 300 Pound price in a week! I dont follow games of the ball, but my friends who do report paying lots of dollars to go see a football game...the $1300 for US Nationals for front row seats seem high to me...Worlds can be $1400. Four continents is more like $300-400...but with high inflation, all bets are off....a trip to Worlds is $3,000 to $4000 if you get a hotel room by yourself.
A trip to Worlds 2009 LA cost me $3,500 in 2009 dollars, ticket, airfare, hotel, food, taxis.

eleonora.d

On the Ice
It's not particularly cold - but I guess if you're recovering from being poorly, you might feel the cold more.

It's quite mild in Sheffield at the moment, and the forecast for the end of the week is 12-15 Celsius.
Thanks a mil! Waterproof/performance clothing should do :)

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
2012 Europeans was in a much bigger venue, being used by hockey during the dates. I believe 2026 Europeans will be hosted in the large arena though. The ice itself will be at ISU standard temperature. Generally it can be pretty chilly, but with a full crowd I assume it will be heated. I'd recommend winter clothes.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Who could be the replacement for Lori-Ann MATTE / Thierry FERLAND (CAN) here?
Or will the also go with 7 pairs as Angers did?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Probably just the 7 because they w/d recently... (no obligation to replace them)

Last edited:

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Probably just the 7 because they w/d last recently... (no obligation to replace them)
Would the British Ice Fed be able to replace them with Smart and Mattick (host pick)? They train just down the road in Nottingham.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Would the British Ice Fed be able to replace them with Smart and Mattick (host pick)? They train just down the road in Nottingham.

Oh, I really hope they can be substituted in. They should never have been left out in the first place.

From that page:

For the first time ever, Great Britain will host an ISU Grand Prix event. Taking place right here in Sheffield, 11-13th November 2022.

Erm, first SENIOR Grand Prix event. Have the local council in Sheffield already forgotten that they have hosted a Junior Grand Prix (the John Curry Memorial) in their own city three times, in 2007, 2008, and 2010? Or that Ayr hosted the 2000 Junior GP Final?

I have to admit, I didn't know until there now that we hosted the Junior GP Final in Y2K. Nor did I know that the Junior and Senior GP Finals were held in separate places back then.

But, that minor issue of wording aside, it is so good that the council are making an effort to promote the event. And providing aditional information for visitors. I'm sure they will find it very useful.

Hope you have a great time!

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Or that Ayr hosted the 2000 Junior GP Final?

I have to admit, I didn't know until there now that we hosted the Junior GP Final in Y2K. Nor did I know that the Junior and Senior GP Finals were held in separate places back then.
Yes, I have the Gala on video tape. A friend was a Volunteer for the event as her daughter skated at Ayr, 6 years before Lewis Gibson walked in the door!

yesterday

Record Breaker

The two are scheduled to skate at IceChallenge this weekend, so don't seem available, even if they were on the replacement list.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The two are scheduled to skate at IceChallenge this weekend, so don't seem available, even if they were on the replacement list.
Harry & Lydia would've loved to skate at the GP, but BIS chose to go with one GBR entry in each category rather than utilise home advantage, which is such a shame.
Hirst & Currie who train and coach at Sheffield are listed for Pavel Roman in Olumuc.