2022 Skate Canada Women's Short Program | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate Canada Women's Short Program

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Hmm Maria B wasn't a bad skater even with her nerves. She won a few world medals includnig the world title in 1999.
I know :ROFLMAO: She was my favourite skater, in fact, she was the one that got me into figure skating. And yes, she managed to pull through and win medals, but she always looked terrified doing it...:ROFLMAO:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very interesting and shocking results. Though I have to admit I don't think Canada will stay on top or certainly not Gabby but i have hope. I mean Gabby is Canada's answer to Gracie Gold - I forget Gabby actually has a more credible medal hall than Gracie with her world bronze and Olympic team gold. Still GAbby struggled on the 2A and triple lutz. Top marks for costume though. I would love her to skate clean in the fs though unlikely. But that 3T 3T maybe the garbage of triples but very well done. Ziegler was impressive considering one expected more from Lindsay. And yay Netherlands. You go girl! Rinka, Rhika and Japan were a disappointment. I Know Rhika has a huge fan base but I really have concerns for her well being. She really had to water down the jumps and there were issues. Maybe 3T 3T would be better - same rhythm as first jump. Madi is Canada's no. 1 but if Gabby can skate as well as she did today I think Gabby has a lot more excitement and when she's on her jumps have far more amplitude. Canada has had few woman champions or medallist but the few that have won medals and few of their leading skaters all of them are explosive and have great amplitude including Manley, Rochette, Chouinard even without a world medal, Daleman, Osmond. when on their jumps are huge flowing. Madi has pressure on her this year to repeat her national title and win two s pots. After the olympics it looked like Canada had a great chance for 2 spots - remember 3skaters ahead of her were gone (Russia). Sadly Schizas failed. When you consider the Russians weren't there her results at worlds were disappointing.
To be honest Gabby is going to go down as one of those one hit wonders who happened to win a World medal but never came close before or after. It seems like for a few months in early 2017 she put it all together at 4CC and Worlds but was never consistently a top 10 skater in the world like Gracie was .Yes Gracie never put it together to win a World medal but she was a top skater longer then Gabby who could never even win a GP medal of any kind or win very many medals of any kind internationally and winning a Gold medal in the team competition at the Olympics was just her being on a stronger team then Gracie was in 2014.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
(I changed my post above, but I will repeat it here)

If you, as a non skater, can see the edges and URs, don't you think that the judges can too? Wouldn't it be better if they immediately reflected that in the GOE so we can follow the scoring live?
1) i cannot see everything.. just to make this clear.
2) judges cannot see everything either because of angles and etc... so i do support the tech panel's work calling the jumps and then the judges evaluating quality.
3) most judged sports do not have instant scoring either...

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
To be honest Gabby is going to go down as one of those one hit wonders who happened to win a World medal but never came close before or after. It seems like for a few months in early 2017 she put it all together at 4CC and Worlds but was never consistently a top 10 skater in the world like Gracie was .Yes Gracie never put it together to win a World medal but she was a top skater longer then Gabby who could never even win a GP medal of any kind or win very many medals of any kind internationally and winning a Gold medal in the team competition at the Olympics was just her being on a stronger team then Gracie was in 2014.
?
Gabby had a superb skate at the team event. She definitely was a factor in that strong team. The history of the sport speaks for itself.
Gabby has had her physical and mental issues to deal with and tons of bad luck including a recent severe car crash... So let's not be dismissive of someone who works so hard for the passion she has for the sport.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Catching up the ladies!

Good to see Rika back! And hey Gabby!

OMG the Rink DJ decided to tempt fate with this music choice.

And Eliska B!

Lot of nice headwear in this group! :biggrin:

We start off with Yuhana, who has perhaps the coolest headwear. Shame about the fall though! The pink underskirt of her costume is rather eye-catching and I didn't catch what her music is.

Here comes Rika! Apparently she's been super injured, I hope she's OK? She seems to be, if a bit tentative on the jumps. I love her costume though!

Oh hey, there's Brian O in the background there :laugh:

Here comes Gabby! And wow! Her costume, so sparklely! And well matched to the program music...Diamonds indeed! Some trouble on the lutz, but wow her combo! :love2: Looks like her comeback is on track. Go girl :biggrin:

Rinka on ice with Roxanne, we can be grateful though that it's not that scary lady cover... And a 3A attempt! Whoo! I like the costume...you know I can't go past a good fringe. ;) Quality armography involved here as well. Ooo did someone throw her a koala?!

Now Mark is trying to fill the long gap with the scoring with a history of the event and whatnot.

Gee this is taking FIVE-EVER...I wonder...don't they also have a paper system or something that they can hold up?

Aww look at the giant stuffie her coach is holding! But that score is pretty low for having a 3A! Has there been sheninigans?

Wow look Ava Marie's hair ornament! And wow she had an awesome program! Love that she ended with a step sequence! As Mark said, very confident, she dealt with the delay super well! Great score too! Congratulations to here.

Now for Eliska B! Don't 🌵 on us, we believe! Plus this is great clapping music! Tough two jumping passes, but survives the 2A! I didn't even know there were this many kinds of Sweet Dreams covers, but you gotta love a cartwheel. That score seems a bit harsh, but I guess them's the brakes.

Right, I'll wrap this up here, so I don't do an emoji overload. I'll be back for Group 2.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Whoo! Look at Starr's unitard, awesooooome!

Wow Niiina's dress is pretty cool too, love the purple highlights. (I wonder is Eva Lotta competing in the GPs too?)

Lindsay's dress looks super familiar...and it's suddenly hit me...it looks like Sasha T's FS skate in the 2020/2021 season! Interesting.

And Young looks fabulous as always.

And we're off! Starr's having a great skate! Step sequence 4! All green boxes, woohoo! I love her style she's so fun :biggrin: Into 3rd.

Right, here comes Lindsay from the Netherlands...nice dress. Hey a Lara Fabien song I haven't heard before... Also a clockwise skater, neat.

Niina...and Estonian skaters have such an interesting style! And wow that 2A was huuuuuge!

Madeline S is fierce, the home crowd is getting a treat from the two Canadian skaters here. :) That's always nice. Hey another clockwise skater, interesting I don't remember seeing so many of them before. She goes into first!

Good luck to Lindsay from US! But aww no a pop! She at least got the combo in! She looks disappointed though :( Don't be sad Lindsay, there's the FS tomorrow! Although that score...geeze, judges feeling harsh today aren't they?

Finally Young! Epic 2A, but yiiikes on the combo, she almost ran into the boards! But she looks pretty good. Heh, love the tango highlights! And it's nice to see the audience cheering her on. But the score! 4th? WTF?

I watched the men's event live and the scoring wasn't crazy like this...different panels I guess. Still there appears to be some tomfoolery going on here, especially for Rinka!

Well, the top three did skate well so I shan't begrudge them, but these judges and tech panel better get the 9th degree at the conference thing they have when they need to explain themselves.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Whoo! Look at Starr's unitard, awesooooome!

Wow Niiina's dress is pretty cool too, love the purple highlights. (I wonder is Eva Lotta competing in the GPs too?)

Lindsay's dress looks super familiar...and it's suddenly hit me...it looks like Sasha T's FS skate in the 2020/2021 season! Interesting.

And Young looks fabulous as always.

And we're off! Starr's having a great skate! Step sequence 4! All green boxes, woohoo! I love her style she's so fun :biggrin: Into 3rd.

Right, here comes Lindsay from the Netherlands...nice dress. Hey a Lara Fabien song I haven't heard before... Also a clockwise skater, neat.

Niina...and Estonian skaters have such an interesting style! And wow that 2A was huuuuuge!

Madeline S is fierce, the home crowd is getting a treat from the two Canadian skaters here. :) That's always nice. Hey another clockwise skater, interesting I don't remember seeing so many of them before. She goes into first!

Good luck to Lindsay from US! But aww no a pop! She at least got the combo in! She looks disappointed though :( Don't be sad Lindsay, there's the FS tomorrow! Although that score...geeze, judges feeling harsh today aren't they?

Finally Young! Epic 2A, but yiiikes on the combo, she almost ran into the boards! But she looks pretty good. Heh, love the tango highlights! And it's nice to see the audience cheering her on. But the score! 4th? WTF?

I watched the men's event live and the scoring wasn't crazy like this...different panels I guess. Still there appears to be some tomfoolery going on here, especially for Rinka!

Well, the top three did skate well so I shan't begrudge them, but these judges and tech panel better get the 9th degree at the conference thing they have when they need to explain themselves.
the panels... 2 out of 3 were the same..

the women got carrots and edge calls... especially RInka and Young.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If the placements stay the same for the FS, most will have bombed their predictions. However, there are about 4 points between first and sixth so I expect lots of movement.

Having seen both AMZ and Lindsay compete in NY about 6 weeks ago, I would not have expected AMZ to be in 3rd place at SCI after the SP. She is really making some moves and it's exciting to see. I hope Lindsay bounces back in the FS and moves up in the standings.

Dawn825

Medalist
My TES rescoring:

1. Niina 36.27 - surprising, because I gave her 2 qs and a !, but her spins and axel all got great GOEs
2. Starr 34.94 - also surprising bec of the lower base value, but her combo and axel were great, no rotation issues or edge calls, decent spins
3. Young 33.83 - I gave her 2 unclear edges and a q for the flip, but her spins ranged from good to amazing, and her step sequence was the best of the event
4. Rinka 33.52 - the axel was less than a quarter under, I don't even want to discuss it, the combo was under though on both parts tho. GOE for the jumps were bad but she's held up by her base value. The only one in this top 7 with a true lutz, honorable mention for that.
5. Madeline 32.24 - lutz was unclear, and I gave her negative GOE for 2 of her spins, the traveling was significant and obvious
6. Gabby 30.62 - the lutz was a q with a terrible air position and an unclear edge, I gave two of her spins negative GOE for even worse traveling than Maddie's
7. Ava Marie 30.31 - very surprising because in real time I thought her skate should have been top 2, but I gave her lutz an e and her flip a q, and her first spin traveled terribly. The caller gave her level 3s on every sigle one of her spins and the step sequence, I'm not sure if that's accurate or not

So as far as I'm concerned, the judges almost got it right...if you hold the paper upside down :palmf:
The call on Rinka's axel was egregious, considering they took so long to presumably review it over and over again. And the positive GOEs for all 5 spins that clearly traveled several feet was also unacceptable. Not to mention that even if a jump has negative features you still have to give it credit for the positive features. And the edge calls were...off.
Seeing Young, Rinka and Lindsay under-perform was rough. But I was happy for the others who did their best.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
For some reason the judges crucified her. She popped the Flip but the rest was OK. She looked very nervous though, and I will say it again, it looks like Lindsay has Butyrskaya nerves.
Well, Let's hope Lindsay has anywhere near the career that Maria had. 3 World Medals, Including the title 1999, 3 European Titles, 6 National Titles, and 2 Olympic Teams. Plus.....Mr. Rice Loves Her :love:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Well, Let's hope Lindsay has anywhere near the career that Maria had. 3 World Medals, Including the title 1999, 3 European Titles, 6 National Titles, and 2 Olympic Teams. Plus.....Mr. Rice Loves Her :love:
I always liked Maria B. Her many accomplishments are significant - in and of themselves, but also because she was facing some really tough competition all the time. Didn't she just miss making the podium at both her Olympics?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
My TES rescoring:

1. Niina 36.27 - surprising, because I gave her 2 qs and a !, but her spins and axel all got great GOEs
2. Starr 34.94 - also surprising bec of the lower base value, but her combo and axel were great, no rotation issues or edge calls, decent spins
3. Young 33.83 - I gave her 2 unclear edges and a q for the flip, but her spins ranged from good to amazing, and her step sequence was the best of the event
4. Rinka 33.52 - the axel was less than a quarter under, I don't even want to discuss it, the combo was under though on both parts tho. GOE for the jumps were bad but she's held up by her base value. The only one in this top 7 with a true lutz, honorable mention for that.
5. Madeline 32.24 - lutz was unclear, and I gave her negative GOE for 2 of her spins, the traveling was significant and obvious
6. Gabby 30.62 - the lutz was a q with a terrible air position and an unclear edge, I gave two of her spins negative GOE for even worse traveling than Maddie's
7. Ava Marie 30.31 - very surprising because in real time I thought her skate should have been top 2, but I gave her lutz an e and her flip a q, and her first spin traveled terribly. The caller gave her level 3s on every sigle one of her spins and the step sequence, I'm not sure if that's accurate or not

So as far as I'm concerned, the judges almost got it right...if you hold the paper upside down :palmf:
The call on Rinka's axel was egregious, considering they took so long to presumably review it over and over again. And the positive GOEs for all 5 spins that clearly traveled several feet was also unacceptable. Not to mention that even if a jump has negative features you still have to give it credit for the positive features. And the edge calls were...off.
Seeing Young, Rinka and Lindsay under-perform was rough. But I was happy for the others who did their best.
I find these always interesting to read. Thanks for sharing. It was unclear to me if you were judging from the rink or from a stream.... because we know we do not share the same experience as people at the rink... and also, well, there is a reason why tech panels and judges BOTH evaluate their segment of the elements (BV versus GOE)... so I am not surprised that one person doing this on their own would get different conclusions.

This is a judged sport... and we fans, judge the judges... and then we also "judge" the fans who judge the judges :)

I complained a lot last week with the pair judging... and then, I decided that it's okay to complain because that's part of the fun as a skating fan... but in the end, like I have been told by some after SKAM.... the judges' ruling is what is being recorded in the history book... and I guess that's all that matters.

I have mentioned it earlier in this thread. I have seen Rinka skate once or twice at the BC Summer skates where she got hammered for her under-rotations. So it didn't surprise me at all that it may happen at SCI where, traditionally, tech calls on rotation and edges are harsher. I think it's good by the way to demand the best from elite athletes. Regarding Gabby, she usually gets an edge call on her flip... I don't remember if she's ever gotten a problem with her lutz, though of course, it wasn't a pretty jump. I think Maddie's jumps are tricky to judge as she jumps clockwise... it was the same with Kaetlyn back then... Lots of fans complained but then, the tech panel was usually quite happy with her. I will give you this : her spins were not the best in terms of speed and centering this time around but she did achieve difficult and clear positions . I will not talk about the other ones, not because I have nothing to say, but simply because I haven't watched them.

Thanks for sharing your views on this : I prefer when fans write down what they see in detail than just a wuzrobbed comment :) which I have done myself... :) guilty :)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If the placements stay the same for the FS, most will have bombed their predictions. However, there are about 4 points between first and sixth so I expect lots of movement.

Having seen both AMZ and Lindsay compete in NY about 6 weeks ago, I would not have expected AMZ to be in 3rd place at SCI after the SP. She is really making some moves and it's exciting to see. I hope Lindsay bounces back in the FS and moves up in the standings.
I am pretty sure there will be a lot of movement. I don't want to jinx a few of my favourites either way but I am pretty sure some will climb up and others will get down.... the judges really wanted to go even further with this long-said motto "you cannot win an event just with the SP... but you can certainly lose it there"

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am pretty sure there will be a lot of movement. I don't want to jinx a few of my favourites either way but I am pretty sure some will climb up and others will get down.... the judges really wanted to go even further with this long-said motto "you cannot win an event just with the SP... but you can certainly lose it there"

Practically a guarantee. The scoring is pretty tight. It's not out of the question that a lady from the first group skates a blinder and stands on the podium when all is said and done.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
200.gif