2022 Skate Canada Women's Short Program | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate Canada Women's Short Program

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The men's scores have actually been really good this season imo. I like a harsh panel, and I do agree with a lot of the calls here. I don't think Rinka's combo was -5 worthy, but it did deserve negative GOE. The one person who really got hammered was Niina, but she's not that far back after the short and should be able to climb up in the free if she skates like this again
I agree, but this mens competition could potentially be scored extremely harshly. And I just want reasonable scoring. I don't like overly lenient, either.

Dawn825

Medalist
What kills is that Rinka's triple Axel doesn't look underrotated on the replay at all. I don't think I would have even given it a q, after rewatching to the slow-mi several times. If you're gonna spend 20 minutes putting together a score, you better make it right, smh.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow! Skate Canada has always been known for their super strict calls.
Maybe, because judges are stricter at other events, they had to exaggerate the strictness here so they wouldn’t lose their reputation. SC is definitely not the event I’d participate in, if I was trying to obtain the minimum tech scores to qualify to Worlds.
I’m absolutely shocked that the two Canadian ladies lead after the SP. 🇨🇦
I would usually cry home advantage, but, these two ladies really were terrific. 👏
Ava, I love this American lady. She is really the dark horse. Will she win Budapest and now Skate Canada?
Starr, placed way higher that I thought. But, she can skate good SP and was good here. You, skated safely and despite no triple triple, she is still in contention.
Honestly, I expect a lot of changes tmrw as the top girls here, can have meltdowns.
I thought jumpers who went after 3F and 3Lz jumps and combos, were severely punished here. Rinka, Niina, and Dutch Lindsay, I thought skated the skate of their lives and then I saw the scores 😱

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Is it not really the judges but the super harsh tech panel here...most skaters got hammered with jump calls for rotation and edges... i actually prefer this kind of panel than those who give halloween candy to everyone
I disagree. I think this is exactly what is wrong with FS today imo. When I force my friends to watch they quickly lose interest because they don't understand the scoring.
If we at this forum, that are all pros, can't see the errors, then there must be something fundamentally wrong with the system.
I say f*ck all the edge and ur calls. If the skater is an expert in hiding them, so be it. Instead the GOE judges can adjust the scoring in real time if they see questionable edges or URs. It's important for the sport that we can follow the judging in real time and not having some all mighty God Tech person subtracting 10 points. There are too many competitions that are decided by the tech panel these days. And we all know the difference in tech judges are huge, which makes competitions hard to compare, especially in a GP tournament where the best goes to the final.

Just my opinion.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I disagree. I think this is exactly what is wrong with FS today imo. When I force my friends to watch they quickly lose interest because they don't understand the scoring.
If we at this forum, that are all pros, can't see the errors, then there must be something fundamentally wrong with the system.
I say f*ck all the edge and ur calls. If the skater is an expert in hiding them, so be it. Instead the GOE judges can adjust the scoring in real time if they see questionable edges or URs. It's important for the sport that we can follow the judging in real time and not having some all mighty God Tech person subtracting 10 points. There are too many competitions that are decided by the tech panel these days. And we all know the difference in tech judges are huge, which makes competitions hard to compare, especially in a GP tournament where the best goes to the final.

Just my opinion.
Very interesting and shocking results. Though I have to admit I don't think Canada will stay on top or certainly not Gabby but i have hope. I mean Gabby is Canada's answer to Gracie Gold - I forget Gabby actually has a more credible medal hall than Gracie with her world bronze and Olympic team gold. Still GAbby struggled on the 2A and triple lutz. Top marks for costume though. I would love her to skate clean in the fs though unlikely. But that 3T 3T maybe the garbage of triples but very well done. Ziegler was impressive considering one expected more from Lindsay. And yay Netherlands. You go girl! Rinka, Rhika and Japan were a disappointment. I Know Rhika has a huge fan base but I really have concerns for her well being. She really had to water down the jumps and there were issues. Maybe 3T 3T would be better - same rhythm as first jump. Madi is Canada's no. 1 but if Gabby can skate as well as she did today I think Gabby has a lot more excitement and when she's on her jumps have far more amplitude. Canada has had few woman champions or medallist but the few that have won medals and few of their leading skaters all of them are explosive and have great amplitude including Manley, Rochette, Chouinard even without a world medal, Daleman, Osmond. when on their jumps are huge flowing. Madi has pressure on her this year to repeat her national title and win two s pots. After the olympics it looked like Canada had a great chance for 2 spots - remember 3skaters ahead of her were gone (Russia). Sadly Schizas failed. When you consider the Russians weren't there her results at worlds were disappointing.

Sackie

Medalist
I think having Gabby right behind her here and so close in marks it might just be the push Maddy needs to come out fighting in the free. Cause we saw last year in the team event at the Olympics that Maddy is a fighter, and I don't think she wants to finish behind Gabby here or even have the marks this close. Especially since there is only one lady going to worlds. Gabby I think did well in the short here partly due to her car accident. Sometimes when skaters have an injury to worry about it takes the pressure off and they can just go out there and skate the way they know they can. So I am not too sure how the free will go for her because now she will be under the pressure (from herself) to medal.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Just my opinion.
I am not even a skater and i can spot some of the carrots and edge issues... so i am glad when they are called because i can definitely see the difference between a super clean combo like gabby's and a tight and ur 3t with little flow like some of the other women... also, for years, we have complained about edges... intersting to see that some women prefer doing the loop or a 3t3t to avoid showing a weaker flip jump... i think that is what good technique should be... doing what you can do best and be rewarded for it.

Sackie

Medalist
And now with CAN ladies sitting in 1 and 2 spots I wonder if Skate Canada is 2nd guessing their choice to not fill their 3rd spot. Cause I am sure they were not expecting this kind of result after the short. And no telling where our 3rd lady might have ended up since she would have had no pressure on her at all.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I haven't seen the skates but, I am quite shocked to see Lindsay so far back. After her performances at Junior Worlds, I was expecting big things from her this season. She has the content to pull up if she has a clean skate. However, I am thrilled for Gabby!!!!! She's been out there a long time and it must have been great to pull off a clean SP in front of the home crowd.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Just my opinion.
I tend to agree. I don't like gymnastics because I don't understand the scoring. Actually, the same goes for Ice Dance.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I am not even a skater and i can spot some of the carrots and edge issues... so i am glad when they are called because i can definitely see the difference between a super clean combo like gabby's and a tight and ur 3t with little flow like some of the other women... also, for years, we have complained about edges... intersting to see that some women prefer doing the loop or a 3t3t to avoid showing a weaker flip jump... i think that is what good technique should be... doing what you can do best and be rewarded for it.
I agree to that. A clean skate should always be promoted.

But if you can see the edges and URs, don't you think the judges can too? Wouldn't it be better if they reflect that immediately in the GOEs?

What I felt was wrong in this judging as I think @norwegianfairytale mentioned, was that skaters that went for more difficult content and mostly succeded got double punished if they found a small error. Rinka's 3A looked perfectly fine to me, maybe q, and with a stepout, but she got 3.20 points for it, which is much less than all the others who did a 2A. The judges called it UR so the BV was lowered, PLUS the judges gave it -4/-5 in GOE because of the UR and the stepout. Not many of the other skaters can even dream about doing a 3A.
Gabby's combo was amazing, but it's the easiest combo you get. Niina Petrokina's 3Lz+3T was MUCH harder, and backloaded as well. Gabby got 10.08, Niina got 8.25. And Niina's combo looked fine, even if there was a q in there it should have been worth more than Gabby's Toeloops.

I think things will correct itself tomorrow as many of the skaters at the top now simply just can't do a Flip or a Lutz so their tech content BV will be low to start with. We'll see what happens.

But as I said above, this kind of judging makes no sense to me. It just upsets people. And already we will have a huge difference with scores compared to SA last week as that one was candy judged.

Last edited:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I haven't seen the skates but, I am quite shocked to see Lindsay so far back. After her performances at Junior Worlds, I was expecting big things from her this season. She has the content to pull up if she has a clean skate. However, I am thrilled for Gabby!!!!! She's been out there a long time and it must have been great to pull off a clean SP in front of the home crowd.
For some reason the judges crucified her. She popped the Flip but the rest was OK. She looked very nervous though, and I will say it again, it looks like Lindsay has Butyrskaya nerves.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree to that. A clean skate should always be promoted.

But what was wrong in this judging as I think @norwegianfairytale mentioned, was that skaters that went for more difficult content and mostly succeded got double punished if they found a small error. Rinka's 3A looked perfectly fine to me, maybe q, and with a stepout, but she got 3.20 points for it, which is much less than all the others who did a 2A. The judges called it UR so the BV was lowered, PLUS the judges gave it -4/-5 in GOE because of the UR and the stepout. Not many of the other skaters can even dream about doing a 3A.
Gabby's combo was amazing, but it's the easiest combo you get. Niina Petrokina's 3Lz+3T was MUCH harder, and backloaded as well. Gabby got 10.08, Niina got 8.25. And Niina's combo looked fine, even if there was a q in there it should have been worth more than Gabby's Toeloops.

I think things will correct itself tomorrow as many of the skaters at the top now simply just can't do a Flip or a Lutz so their tech content BV will be low to start with. We'll see what happens.

But as I said above, this kind of judging makes no sense to me. It just upsets people. And already we will have a huge difference with scores compared to SA last week as that one was candy judged.
The rules however are strict.. skaters are aware they will be doubly punished on both base value and goe if they get carrots and edge calls... sucks for rinka the most from what i have seen as i left after her.... but she used to skate at bc summer events and would get tons of calls... so i am not too surprised ... i agree tomorrow is another day though i would not write anyone off...

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
The rules however are strict.. skaters are aware they will be doubly punished on both base value and goe if they get carrots and calls...
(I changed my post above, but I will repeat it here)

If you, as a non skater, can see the edges and URs, don't you think that the judges can too? Wouldn't it be better if they immediately reflected that in the GOE so we can follow the scoring live?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
For some reason the judges crucified her. She popped the Flip but the rest was OK. She looked very nervous though, and I will say it again, it looks like Lindsay has Butyrskaya nerves.
Hmm Maria B wasn't a bad skater even with her nerves. She won a few world medals includnig the world title in 1999.

Ziotic

Medalist
The rest wasn’t okay though. Her combo was visibly under rotated real time and had zero flow on the way out. You could see her struggle and fight just to eeke out the toe.