2022 Skate Canada Women's Short Program | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate Canada Women's Short Program

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Before going to sleep I must wonder what judges had for dinner. Some sour water and bitter bites of something?

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Rinka's 3A and 3T were UR, 3Lz looked fine, GOE's still very low for those

Niina's 3F was fine, 3Lz+3T was q at most.

Young's 3F edge wobbled between outside and flat, but at the time of pick-in I think it was more flat, so a ! would have been a better call. I couldn't tell rotation because she landed just out of shot of the camera. Still very harsh GOE for that element as well

Country
Norway
No, I'm sorry, -5 is what you give a jump that fails IMO. A fall or a pop. A jump isn't -5 or even -4 when the rotation is under by such a small amount that most audience members can't see it with the naked eye. This is nonsense.
Some judges gave Dabin a -5 for her 3 flip at Denis Ten Memorial, it wasn´t even a stumble and for me looked great but maybe q or UR, the reason apparently edge and they actually downgraded her flip but IMO that was not more then UR :scratch2::scratch2: Someone explained to me that when it´s two mistakes, they have to give it -4 or -5, maybe that happen here, first mistake stumble and then another for UR = -5. It´s like you get punished double for one mistake. I don´t agree and I also think it´s very inconsistent judging from skater to skater.

Rinka did not deserve this!

Last edited:
Country
Norway
I’m super torn about the 3A?

Like the judges gave -5 across the board other than one -4. How were they all so consistent?

But then Rika only got -3/-4 for her stepout
As I said, I think they punish more now if there is more mistakes. For Rikas loop there was only one mistake, but for Rinkas 3A there was both a step out and UR apparently.

Same with Youngs flip, in real time for me it looked like a great jump, but she got both a edge call and q and they judges gave it -3 and -4.

This is why we see skaters get rewarded for easier but very clean element like the skater who went for 3T-3T and loop as solo jump...

Honestly I think this is really insane. Skaters take greater risk with difficult elements, for lutz and flip you are in danger of getting hammered because of both edges and rotations, and the same if you try difficult elements like quads and 3A you will be punished hard if you have rotation issues and a step out.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Is it not really the judges but the super harsh tech panel here...most skaters got hammered with jump calls for rotation and edges... i actually prefer this kind of panel than those who give halloween candy to everyone

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
At this point I say bring on the robot tech panels... at least they won't pick favorites. (Assuming they're not programmed to ignore rotations when Daft Punk is playing or something lol

Ziotic

Medalist
I will say as a former skater UR jumps are my pet peeve. I actually think not rotating in the air is the worst. I can usually see an UR from a mile away even if the skater has a nice looking hooked edge landing.

So I don’t mind getting dinged twice, one for edge and one for rotation.

I understand it’s an aesthetic sport, but it’s still a sport and rotating and hitting correct edges should matter. Just imagine back in the day someone doing a wrong edge on a figure.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I think we all need to be drunk to watch men if this scoring continues. :angry:
The men's scores have actually been really good this season imo. I like a harsh panel, and I do agree with a lot of the calls here. I don't think Rinka's combo was -5 worthy, but it did deserve negative GOE. The one person who really got hammered was Niina, but she's not that far back after the short and should be able to climb up in the free if she skates like this again

Warwick360

Medalist

Saw this in live action today. Thanks, judges of the day. :slink: