2022 Worlds Pre-Game Chat | Golden Skate

2022 Worlds Pre-Game Chat

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is just three weeks away and the World Figure Skating Championships will be upon us. In most recent olympic yars it is not unprecedent that many medalliss would or retire or at least not compete at worlds which is often barely a month after the olympics. The performances aren't as crisp and if the top skaters from olympics do go to the world they are not as sharp often having done shows, interviews and pr after the olympics. Nathan Chen has been all over the place as an American winning gold. So let's talk about worlds.

WHO'S NOT GOING?

I haven't heard anything. The usual culprits aren't usual. PC won their much deserved OGM but probably will go to worlds because it is in their h ome nation France and really they are so far ahead of everyone and their closet rival arguably SK are injured. Which leaves two american teams that keep flip flopping you can't tell who is the best. The defending world bronze medallists placed below Russia no. 2 and Italy at the olympics so things look good for PC.

Who knows about Nathan Chen who has been really bus with television and media appearances. He has nothing to prove with OGM and three world titles.

One wonders about Yuzuru - will he want the 4A which too many wasn't even close. Trusova's 3A is closer. He had injury issues so who knows if we will see him in France.

Jason Brown may show up at worlds if Nathan can't or doesn't go.

Sui and Han also have it all and may not want to risk losing to a Russian most likely. Worse but some fluke end off th podium. The results at the olympic suggest one fall and they could be even fourth.

Down the list will MTM show up after suggesting they might be done?

The ladies is up in the air. Is Valieva eligible? What shape is she in? Will Trusova skate after saying she is done? Russia while deep has some serious injuries to top skaters but they still have Maya and Liza. Not bad alternatives.

What if any effect with the Ukraine / Russian war have on the Championships. If Russia cannot go due to travel restrictions that opens up 5 to 7 medals out of 12. This could open the door for say Alexa and her partner to win bronze. Japan and Liu to medal in ladies. USA to get two medals in dance. USA would most likely have a full squad for 2023 and Russia down to one entry if any at all in 2023.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IF Nathan does not go, it's more than likely Jason will, as he's first alternate. Is no one else concerned that Worlds may not happen?

pearly

Record Breaker
IF Nathan does not go, it's more than likely Jason will, as he's first alternate. Is no one else concerned that Worlds may not happen?
Very concerned. But it seems to trivial in light of everything.

Somehow I would not be surprised if both Nathan and Jason skipped this, but would be happy to see them both compete. I kind of expect Hanyu to go since he hasn't medaled and hasn't competed at all this season except for nationals and Olympics.

I think Khudaiberdieva/Bazin were first alternated for Olympics so I would like to see them selected for Worlds along Liza and Misha. But I think banning Russian athletes is a good decision.

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
Given the situation, who knows who will be going... if France blocks some athletes from entering the country, well, that certainly shakes things up. And the way things are going, and how quickly things are changing, who knows what will be happening by the end of March.

I doubt Yuzu will go since he has his injury...that ankle has given him trouble so often over the last few years that I can't think of many competitions where he hasn't been injured.

Skating47

On the Ice
I am not certain that Worlds will happen due to the current situation. If it does happen, I hope that Jason goes if Nathan withdraws. I just hope that Jason skates competitively for one more season, at least.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
At this point it looks very likely that if worlds happen it will be without any Russian skaters (this isn’t just an ISU thing, Russian and Belarusian delegations are being banned left, right and centre). Not commenting on whether such a decision is just or not (I have my own view on this, but it isn’t relevant), however it will really diminish the level of competition and the prestige of these Worlds. Post Olympic worlds are already weird enough without the deepest figure skating nation being banned entirely.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
WHO'S NOT GOING?

One wonders about Yuzuru - will he want the 4A which to many wasn't even close.

"The attempt that Yuzu did today was extraordinarily close, to the extent I thought he was going to hit it. It has been amazing to be an athlete at the same time as Yuzu and see how he's pushing the sport forward."

Those are Nathan's words at the press conference but what does he know, right? He's just a skater.

Nathan was right, the jump was close. The judges scored it as a 4A < on his sheet which means it was under-rotated more than a quarter turn but not more than a half turn. Yuzu already stated were it not for being at the Olympics, he would have withdrawn after he was injured practicing the 4A the day before the free skate and now that the Olympics has passed, he intends to give his ankle a proper rest. Frankly, I hope he skips Worlds and tends to his ankle in order to avoid more damage.

Update:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I would certainly like to see Worlds happen. I feel like so many great skates were swallowed by the scandal. I still haven't seen so many skaters as I had a mini boycott and didn't watch the individual event. This time, hopefully, I'll be able to relax and enjoy it. However, without the eligible Russian Ladies, It won't be a "Real" World Championship.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
I actually feel like Worlds might be an awesome relief 3 weeks from now. A nice break from all the intensity right now, with war, COVID, etc. However, it will feel even more fun and relief-worthy if we have absolutely no clue in advance who the podium-ers will be! Not to mention a discombobulated judge lineup. This could make for some once in a lifetime wild cards. I mean....
**Piper and Paul for gold?
**An all-Japan all-Sakamoto-ecstatic podium in women's?
**Yuna-wazrobbed" revenge with a Korean gold?
**An alien for the win?
**"Sword-slashing Spanish dancers wield some metal...."
**An under-20's triple play in men's?

This will also totally shake up the allocations going into next season? Like standings, number of slots at competitions, etc.

GoldenSkate could do VERY well with the pre-competition wagers, since they'll be all over the map.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
I would certainly like to see Worlds happen. I feel like so many great skates were swallowed by the scandal. I still haven't seen so many skaters as I had a mini boycott and didn't watch the individual event. This time, hopefully, I'll be able to relax and enjoy it. However, without the eligible Russian Ladies, It won't be a "Real" World Championship.
I think it will be REAL, REAL, REAL FUN: no one will know the winners in advance....

All the Russian skaters look to be ineligible because of the current situation, judging from news today. That doesn't make them "eligible but not there". It makes them ineligible.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am not certain that Worlds will happen due to the current situation. If it does happen, I hope that Jason goes if Nathan withdraws. I just hope that Jason skates competitively for one more season, at least.
How is Vincent feeling? If he's healthy, I would really like to see him go. It's been a roller coaster for him this year and this could be a great finish for him. Is Ilia still too young to go? If Nathan decides not to go ( I think he won't be going ) The team will be Vincent, Jason, and Ilia, right.

Last edited:

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
As much as I love skating, having Worlds or not just seems like a first-world problem. Doesn't mean I won't watch it if it still happens.

However, without the eligible Russian Ladies, It won't be a "Real" World Championship.
Given everything that's happened / still being investigated, I wonder now how long it has been since there were "real" international ladies competitions.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Since Russian flights are prohibited in most of Europe right now I don’t see how any Russian skaters will be able to attend. In some sense the situation doesn’t seem fair (as skaters aren’t responsible for geopolitical/military decisions, and the happenstance of it being in France instead of say China makes a difference). On the other hand, “fairness” toward Russian skaters given recent geopolitical events and doping in skating specifically feels a little generous.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As much as I love skating, having Worlds or not just seems like a first-world problem. Doesn't mean I won't watch it if it still happens.

Given everything that's happened / still being investigated, I wonder now how long it has been since there were "real" international ladies competitions.

I'll watch if it happens, for sure.

Given that the IOC has rescinded the Olympic Order previously awarded to Putin and two deputies, along with the smackdown of Russia for violating the Olympic truce... and given the doping of a minor... a lot of sports news has a ring of "we've had enough of this garbage" to it.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
Since Russian flights are prohibited in most of Europe right now I don’t see how any Russian skaters will be able to attend. In some sense the situation doesn’t seem fair (as skaters aren’t responsible for geopolitical/military decisions, and the happenstance of it being in France instead of say China makes a difference). On the other hand, “fairness” toward Russian skaters given recent geopolitical events and doping in skating specifically feels a little generous.
The flights are a minor issue compared with IOC's request to all federations to ban Russian and Belarussian competitors. There's no getting around the IOC's request (I'd guess the consequences would be quite onerous and $$$), though you could presumably get a train and head to Europe.

Source:
https://www.espn.com/olympics/story...-russia-excluded-sports-amid-ukraine-invasion

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
What a three years. We finally lose the covid scare and then we have a war and half the top contenders are banned or unable to leave their country. Medals are a free for all across the board at this stage and props to anyone who is focused enough to skate up to par after all this.