2023-24 Japanese Nationals: Men's Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2023-24 Japanese Nationals: Men's Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

There were some great skates in this event and it was nice not seeing a large gap between the top three. Kagiyama keeps improving and I'm so happy to see that!

What are your thoughts on the Men's performances?

4CC assignments:
Yuma Kagiyama
Sota Yamamoto
Shun Sato

Substitutes:
Kazuki Tomono
Tatsuya Tsuboi
Nozomu Yoshioka

Worlds assignments:
Shoma Uno
Yuma Kagiyama
Kao Miura

Substitutes:
Sota Yamamoto
Shun Sato
Kazuki Tomono

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He was third last year at 4CCs. He also did well at his Challenger and GP events this season, but it's a really a deep field.

Like Kagiyama, Sato has also decided to work on polishing his expression and performance skills before the start of the season with French skater Guillaume Cizeron in Canada and choreographer Kenji Miyamoto. Feeling both regretful and happy at the same time, he wants to tackle more difficult jumps to be able to compete with the other skaters on the international scene.

“This competition was the most exciting,” said the 2023 Four Continents bronze medalist. “I was able to skate with top athletes and I was very happy about that. Of course, I have some regrets. I’m happy and frustrated, I have very mixed feelings. It’s the first time I experienced such a competition.”

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
(Oops - moved my post over from the competition thread. Meant to post it here.)

@tsuyoboogie You are doing god's work here! Thank you so much! When I read Jackie Wong's comment that this last group of men's skaters was "Quite possibly the most incredible group of six free skaters I've ever seen", I knew I was in for a treat. And these guys certainly didn't disappoint! Kudos to the audience who was with the skaters every step of the way and bursting into applause before they had even finished. You could tell these were experienced skating fans who knew they were witnessing a great final group!

Kazuki -- Love that he's doing a little different style program this season. I know everyone loves to see him racing around to La La Land, conducting an orchestra, etc., but this was a soulful, beautiful performance from him. I love the Halston music. Now if I could just get him to have a little more extension on his free leg. :biggrin:

Shun -- He has grown by leaps and bounds. Love his speed, and that opening 4Lz was a beauty. There were a couple times in the "Winter" section where it felt like he was chasing the music a bit, but this was a program to be proud of.

Kao -- Ok, give this guy a speeding ticket. LOL. Loved his passion, determination, cool moves that matched the music, super-fast rotation on his jumps. Sometimes his speed makes the program get away from him, but not today. I think it lends itself to some of his moves having an unfinished look, but these are things he'll fix as he gets a little more experience. Spins -- well, I think he might want to schedule a session with the spin doctor.

Yuma -- What can I say?! Well-deserved 1st in the free. Glad to see his gorgeous, textbook 4S was back. I'm sure he had "redemption skate" on the brain, and this was really it. Great job. This program had only two quads, so I can see him going to greater heights when he's able to put even more quads back in.

Sota -- Ok, I love a good warhorse, and his "Muse" with Kenji Miyamoto choreo really did shine here today. He has the most beautiful posture! I was hoping Team Yamada would correct his tendency to drop his arms to his sides for a long time (sometimes with clenched fists) as he goes into his jumps. Maybe they'll work on that. Glad to see him really deliver in the free, as I've always thought of him as more of a short program skater. Super happy to see him on the podium.

Shoma -- I know he's used to skating last, but I wondered what that was like being back stage and hearing the audience going bonkers (moreso than usual!) ! Not a perfect skate by any means, but I love the stillness of this program. Another Kenji Miyamoto choreo. Favorite move -- the back outside edge transition where he then steps up into the 3A. Sho, you are a master of the blade, or as Kurt Browning said, ":He's never NOT talking to the blade." Now if we can just get him to change his 90 year old boots before Worlds. Please!!!!!

That was truly amazing. I feel like Christmas came early! 🎄 🎁

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
4CC assignments:
Yuma Kagiyama
Sota Yamamoto
Shun Sato

Substitutes:
Kazuki Tomono
Tatsuya Tsuboi
Nozomu Yoshioka

Worlds assignments:
Shoma Uno
Yuma Kagiyama
Kao Miura

Substitutes:
Sota Yamamoto
Shun Sato
Kazuki Tomono

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have finally seen a skater, a Japanese man, do Sarah Brightman's "Question of Honor" , which I saw her do live during her Harem tour. Thank you Sena.......
Men arent my fav skaters but I have to say I was glued to the Telly for the last two groups. Well done.

Last edited:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Although I like everyone who placed above him, I thought Kazuki's PCS was lowballed (and I'm echoing others in lamenting how he ends up with no championship assignment) :cry: He has improved so much, just such a deep field.
A great event though in both programs!
I'm pleased to see Shunsuke and Rio confirmed for junior worlds and so happy to see Shoma win his 6th national title!

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have finally seen a skater, a Japanese man, do Sarah Brightman's "Question of Honor" , which I saw her do live during her Harem tour. Thank you Sena.......
Men arent my fav skaters but I have to say I was glued to the Telly for the last two groups. Well done.
We may make you a fan of really good men's skating yet my friend.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Finally found it on the JFS2 YouTube, and after SP, I still can't believe Kagiyama beat Sato. Yamamoto had a good day. But overall, I felt everyone looked cautious in SP, without much external energy projection, even Uno, until he got into his step sequence. Or was it the camera work? Or maybe it's because I am watching separate videos not actual competition? Gonna go look at the FS now.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yeah, I see it. Seems maybe Sato has stamina issues, not Ignatov-level, but that 4Lz takes a lot out of him. Hope he does fabulous at 4CC. I am happy he got assignment there. Yamamoto was great in the free.

I am pretty happy with World's team, hopefully I will finally see Kagiyama live. I saw Miura in both juniors and seniors, so will be happy to cheer for him in the senior worlds too. And another chance to see Uno is a gift.

Last edited: