2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Pairs Free Skate | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Pairs Free Skate

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Now, bring on the men 😵😵‍💫🫣

I’ve enjoyed the first three events. I have low expectations for the next event, with the exception of Keegan.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
No - I was counting individuals - 2 dancers, 1 pair skater and 1 man.
I see.. yeah... funny as I forget Laurence did skate for Denmark because of course she is Canadian but yeah :) that's just me being silly while thinking about Lolo and Nik :)

Sackie

Medalist
If Deanna has been sick ever since the GPF maybe best to have them skip 4CC and rest for worlds. That way Kelly Ann and Lucas will get to go.
Also wondering how high Brooke and Ben can place at worlds if they keep improving like they have been. I would think top 8 is very likely.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I hope Laurin/Ethier get 4CC. Also Brooke and Ben's twist is wonderful, they are really a team to watch.
I'm a little surprised the men's event is last but I hope they bring the house down for Keegan!

rain

Record Breaker
If Deanna has been sick ever since the GPF maybe best to have them skip 4CC and rest for worlds. That way Kelly Ann and Lucas will get to go.
Also wondering how high Brooke and Ben can place at worlds if they keep improving like they have been. I would think top 8 is very likely.
Yeah, if she's been sick for this long (since before the GPF) it sounds like the only thing that's really going to do the trick is to completely take some time off. I know she doesn't want to, but she might have to if they want to get back to 100 per cent.

rain

Record Breaker
I hope Laurin/Ethier get 4CC. Also Brooke and Ben's twist is wonderful, they are really a team to watch.
I'm a little surprised the men's event is last but I hope they bring the house down for Keegan!
I would've scheduled dance last. Clearly the marquee event for Canada right now, particularly if Piper and Paul had been here. But it might have something to do with number of competitors and how it schedules out...

Sackie

Medalist
The judges really seem to like Deanna and Max this year and willing to score them well, so it is best they show up in their best shape for worlds.

yesterday

Record Breaker
I would've scheduled dance last. Clearly the marquee event for Canada right now, particularly if Piper and Paul had been here. But it might have something to do with number of competitors and how it schedules out...
They may have just done it this way for Keegan.

Has anyone older schedules at hand?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They may have just done it this way for Keegan.

Has anyone older schedules at hand?
I remember one year (a long time ago in a galaxy far away) the women's FS was on
Sunday morning and the gala was Sunday afternoon. All the other FSs were on Saturday, ending with dance. I also remember there being more competitors, though I may be mistaken about that.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yeah, if she's been sick for this long (since before the GPF) it sounds like the only thing that's really going to do the trick is to completely take some time off. I know she doesn't want to, but she might have to if they want to get back to 100 per cent.
From what has been shared - time is not the real issue - they don't know what it is. I am floored that they won and over the moon but imagine if she could and they could really practice and skate their best. Now they haven't done the 3S and to be honest they don't have big tricks ie throw quad or triple axel, individual flips or lutzes which I was hoping was possible with her past singles skater. They don't even do say a 3S 3S 2A or just a triple toe triple toe combo. I would love this team to get healthy and win bronze. They almost did it against Italy despite the illness but come world if Deanna doesn't get healed quickly and practice for both of them with her healthy it will be close your eyes and hope for the best that they hang on to top six. B squared were nice with great extension and wow 3 twist. Happy for Trent and Lia - will they go to worlds or the surprising 4th place team or....

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
But Brooke and Ben not going to 4ccs could be problematic if they want to move up - they need to show they can beat some of the Americans.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But Brooke and Ben not going to 4ccs could be problematic if they want to move up - they need to show they can beat some of the Americans.
they beat 3 American teams at Finlandia... nobody is expecting them to beat the world champions... They were not that far to Chan and Howe in their GP assignments : they would have been a bit closer without the mistakes. For a team just out of juniors, it's pretty good.

yyzskater

On the Ice
Ted Barton mentioned a couple times that Lia and Trent are the future of Canadian Pairs and I concur. For just a few months together, they were amazing!

Sackie

Medalist
they beat 3 American teams at Finlandia... nobody is expecting them to beat the world champions... They were not that far to Chan and Howe in their GP assignments : they would have been a bit closer without the mistakes. For a team just out of juniors, it's pretty good.
And in fact Kelly Ann and Lucas beat 2 American teams on their home ice - which is hard to do. They did not skate as well there as they did at Nationals.