2023 European Championships Men's Short Program | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2023 European Championships Men's Short Program

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When Deniss was skating to "Englishman in NY", all I could think was "I'm a Latvian in Espoo." Just me? (Well, speaking of Sting at least it's a refreshing change from Tango de Roxanne. Someone should skate to the original "Roxanne.") Happy to see him in medal position again, we'll see as he, Matteo and Kevin are pretty close in scores.

Adam was amazing - glad I picked him to win in my predictions - he was the only one who really went out there in the last group with "I want and can win this" attitude.

As for Daniel, I'm not sure what is going on with him. When I saw him in person at SA, he seemed like such a sweet kid. Now he's on his third coaching change since October and I don't like seeing Dani G's sighs of disapproval here anymore than in Russia. Just bad energy going on.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Well, well. Watched on youtube and my favourite quote of the night:
"Choreo by Benoît, he's always so versatile" (not a literal quote)
😂

Now Italian commentators are scolding Grassl for his coaching change
German ones were as well.

got to chuckle to the irony of spinning to the words `to another level` while losing a spin level
Well, it's another. Doesn't say it has to go up :biggrin:

Great. Was cleaning my glasses, looked at Kevin without them, thought "Wil Wheaton?".. and now I can't unsee it. 🤣🤣🤣
Put it into the skaters lookalike thread!

Goes to show the German commentator guy knows nothing..
Oh yeah.. long story with them. And as it is long, this probably shows that they should be doing something else right now, not commenting FS still.
At first, they were both okay (long ago), then one dropped and the other one (expert) tried to keep up the good work and in the meantime one drew the other one to his level and now they are... now words.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I was caught by surprise that competition started on Wednesday so had a super fun night watching men’s short. Rizzo was my fav with Fa doing awesome as well. Glad Samoilov held onto lead for as long as he did and Starostin looking good too. Gonna bite nails for Grassl in the free 🫂

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
he can make choices, we can comment that we disagree with the choices. We are talking about a skating forum where posters criticize skaters all the time.

IMO, this was a highly ill advised choice. I'm not being nasty, just expressing facts as I see them. Which we do on skating fora.
You can of course do whatever you want and say whatever you want. But for the majority of people this (and this exactly) is a type of thread where they try to enjoy skating without politics and gossips. I don't know why it is so hard for you to understand that :shrug:

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I could only watch snippets yesterday so I'm hoping to rewatch what I can later on, but can anyone explain the low score for Frangipani? I was surprised when it came up. I get he got a one-point deduction for a sliding move, but the rest? I thought he did really well. I haven't seen the protocols yet, but were his jumps really severely UR or what? They didn't seem that way when I was watching. :/
Also, wishing Grassl and Morisi to be in a better place soon, from a mindset POV. Both seem to be taking the goings-on in their skating lives very hard.
Fa was on a level of his own though, both tech and artistry were top notch. If he perfects some of the landings some, he'll be over 100 for sure.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can of course do whatever you want and say whatever you want. But for the majority of people this (and this exactly) is a type of thread where they try to enjoy skating without politics and gossips. I don't know why it is so hard for you to understand that :shrug:

Moving the goalposts. ;)

Your OP did not say that my comment was unnecessary *for this thread*. I do not like irrelevant comments that derail threads. Nothing is more boring and irrelevant to me, for example, than talking about skaters who are not present at that comp in a competition thread, or talking about men's skaters in women's threads and vice versa. Those are examples of irrelevant comments in this "exact type of thread" for me.

However, here we are talking about a competitor at this comp who made a coaching change, presumably because he thought it would improve his chances at this comp and in the future. So I still maintain that my comment that the change is ill advised for Daniel, that it will not help him at this comp, that it will not help him in the future (to the extent he is using this comp as a stepping stone for the future) , is relevant.

And so I made it. :)

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
However, here we are talking about a competitor at this comp who made a coaching change, presumably because he thought it would improve his chances at this comp and in the future. So I still maintain that my comment that the change is ill advised for Daniel, that it will not help him at this comp, that it will not help him in the future (to the extent he is using this comp as a stepping stone for the future) , is relevant.
:)
No actually, your comment and your opinion is irrelevant for him. And every other comments of the rest us. At least that is how the things should be... The second, to use the word 'ill' can speak more about some other stuffs instead to be related to the skater you 'want to help' by giving him an advice ;)

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The second, to use the word 'ill' can speak more about some other stuffs instead to be related to the skater you 'want to help' by giving him an advice ;)
With all due respect... rubbish. People on this and other forums have been calling such decisions 'ill-advised' (or rather less polite terms) for ever. Medvedeva's move to TCC and Trusova's to wherever she went were awash in politics and tut-tutting, Yuzu's way back in what, 2013? - pretty much the same, and let's not talk about the vast amount of unsolicited advice that Patrick Chan and Shoma Uno got over their decisions. And that's just one aspect, coaching. Grassl's choices, the benefits or lack thereof, and the external fallout which almost certainly affected his state of mind when skating are all extremely germane to the actual performance he gave and therefore - especially given the above examples and a hundred like them - fair comment.

Last edited:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I could only watch snippets yesterday so I'm hoping to rewatch what I can later on, but can anyone explain the low score for Frangipani?
He fall at step sequence, it is costly and affects to PCS too, I think. Then his 4s was < and landing of axel a little bit scratchy and got - GOES.