2023 Skate Canada Women's Short Program | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate Canada Women's Short Program

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Sorry, but beating the Russians in Yuna's era is definitely not what makes anyone (including her) a GOAT. Of the 6 WCh Yuna competed at, the highest placement for a Russian woman was 4th.

Her biggest competitors for most of her career were Mao Asada and Miki Ando, plus Carolina Kostner. And to be very honest, the one Russian who ended up beating her, probably shouldn't have. 🤷‍♀️
Ok, so Yuna killed the best of her era, and Kaori isnt even skating against the best. Kaori isnt even in an era.

And yea, Yuna is arguably 2x OGM.

Not like we actually need Yuna the greatest to find someone above Kaori. But if were giving Kaori winner of the last century, might as well put her against the Korean queen.

Reactions: chz

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Kaori isnt even skating against the best.
Because of things we can't talk about, there are no 'best' at the minute for Kaori to skate against, with or without Russia.

It is what it is. Live with it, as others have had to in other disciplines for other reasons.

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
What era? There is no era right now. What happened just a year ago at Olympics? You yourself said a Rus Grand Prix stage mops Skate America, meanwhile Yuna killed Russians for almost a decade and is effectively a 2x OGM. Also significantly more artistic and sophisticated. Sakamato has no emotional range, even her biggest fans admit this.
Kaori’s achievements this season - whatever they may be - will historically be overshadowed by this fact. Her emotional range may be limited but there is no doubting she can perform lights out!! And FWIW I adored her program this time.. something different.. she does sentimental very well

Last edited:

Mathematician

Medalist
Because of things we can't talk about, there are no 'best' at the minute for Kaori to skate against, with or without Russia.

It is what it is. Live with it, as others have had to in other disciplines for other reasons.
Kaori’s achievements this season - whatever they may be - will historically be overshadowed by this fact. Her emotional range may be limited but there is no doubting she can perform lights out!!

Yes, totally agree. Again it might sound like I was being harsh on her but I by no means dislike her. I just dont at all see the argument of her being the greatest ever - very strange. But, I'm glad to see most people agree and I'm not just being a hater.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, totally agree. Again it might sound like I was being harsh on her but I by no means dislike her. I just dont at all see the argument of her being the greatest ever - very strange. But, I'm glad to see most people agree and I'm not just being a hater.
Actually I don't think anyone was claiming that (and she doesn't have that third WC or even the GPF yet! there's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip), just someone getting all up in arms at the possibility of anyone at all even thinking so in the future.

Last edited:

Mathematician

Medalist
Actually I don't think anyone was claiming that (and she doesn't have that third WC or even the GPF yet! there's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip), just someone getting all up in arms at the possibility of anyone at all even thinking so in the future.
Judging by his later comments, he was for real saying that shes the greatest. Unless hes just joking or exaggerating for fun.

But, I digress, I was just surprised that it could be a popular opinion, but it seems thats not the case so I got my answer. Thanks guys.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
All the short programs except for the women are on dailymotion. So I'm watching this on the ISU youtube and Mark's habit of repeating inconsequential things to fill airtime, (e.g. Madeline Schizas saying "stupid") is driving me mad.

I think most of the commentators except for maybe Chris Howarth) struggle a bit on their own. They need company!
That's because Chris speaks for two. I switched away from him last week.... He couldn't stop talking... and most of it was very uninteresting.

Mathematician

Medalist
yet I haven't seen you call out the judging of the Russian girls
I am very sorry when I am wrong here and apologize if that is so, but to me it looks like you just want to throw shade at the international top ladies
Um, Skating91 has been flaming the Russian scene for a while. We all know Russian judging is beyond corrupt, thats not even a discussion anyone is interested in anymore.

He is not a user that gives the impression of Russian bias, as a matter of fact he has annoyed me a great deal on countless occasions with his unwavering negativity towards the Russian girls.

Last edited:

Mathematician

Medalist
The last women's skater who won three World Championship titles back-to-back is Peggy Fleming - from 1966 to 1968. Michelle Kwan, Katarina Witt and Mao Asada have won 3+ World Championships each, but not in subsequent years

If Kaori wins this year, she'd thus become the first woman to do so back-to-back in 56 years.
Im aware, thats correct but those kinds of accolade statistics are relative and dependant on circumstances which render it far from indicative to greatness.

Mathematician

Medalist
It was just a response to explain why the time frame of 50-60 years was used by the original commenter, not what my personal opinion is 😅
Yes, thank you for your clarification, it was helpful. I also was not necessarily implying you were making any point yourself, but was just making a statement to protect my own perspective further.

viennaskater

Medalist
Really enjoyed Mark Hanretty as a commentator on Peacock. He is knowledgeable but not intrusive with his remarks. And the Scottish accent is pleasant on the ears!
I just wish he would refrain from saying 'showcase' all the time! It's driving me nuts! Such a stupid word!