2023 Skate Canada Women's Short Program | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate Canada Women's Short Program

discodisco

On the Ice
LOVE this Baby God Bless You choreo on Kaori. Good job by Buttle and Marie France. So good to see her doing something other than Benoit! Woooowwww! Skating like the World Champion she is. That 2A, thought she was gonna ride the edge all the way to Japan. :biggrin:
Great 2axel as usual. Music sounds like elevator muzak though... Kaori has a lovely flow across the ice, but I'm not convinced that this music or program sets her apart. She is fantastic from the knees down, probably the best edges out there. Not sure I've seen anyone with edges that strong since Yuka Sato (honourable mention to Joannie Rochette) to be honest. But I think her posture is better suited to music and a program that is more dynamic and powerful. The music was pretty unmemorable, and took a bit of sheen off her program I think...

Still, hands-down best skills in the event, probably the business.

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Even after getting half of a finger nail cut off in a chipper yesterday, she makes me smile.....Love all of team Japan and Korea but oh that Kaori.:love2:
Seeing her live...even when she doesnt do well, lifts me up....that smile she gave me in the elevator in Vegas turned me to goo....The doc I was finally able to see says I should be good in 10 days. I had to drive two hours around Spokane finding an urgent care facility that would see me without a 600 dollar bill. Finally found one 15 miles away that would take my insurance. Took an old car so all the blood stains dont matter....the house is a mess! LOL!

At first I thought it was Kaori who got half of her fingernail cut off, I was so confused 😱 😅

I hope it's not too bad and that you're on the mend now Chris! It's so insane and unacceptable that you had to drive 2 hours while bleeding just to get to a clinic where you could afford the treatment 😡

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Im glad the youtube replay for Skate Canada is blocked in my country (Canada) :scratch2:

A true wonder the ISU is. Splendid organization.

Edit: same issue with American VPN, can anyone help? Whats going on?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Im glad the youtube replay for Skate Canada is blocked in my country (Canada) :scratch2:

A true wonder the ISU is. Splendid organization.

Edit: same issue with American VPN, can anyone help? Whats going on?
Try setting your VPN to the Netherlands? Seems to be the only country in the world where youtube doesn't slam down the banhammer.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Managed to find the replays on the CBC site.

Honestly, didn't particularly fall in love with any of the skates. But probably Kim was my favourite. It seems to me internationally Koreans are still the best by my taste, all things considered.

By the way, does anyone have much information on the training systems international skaters follow? It seems like although their technique is good, they lack in pure athleticism a bit. Not particularly explosive, and struggle with core/ankle stability. I assume off-ice training isn't a big focus in these countries, and they pay more attention to technique and choreography?

Especially the Korean girls struggle with pure athleticism, meanwhile the Japanese seem to be a bit more advanced in that regard. But I still hold the Koreans in higher esteem as I give more value to their spirit, essence and artistry.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Great 2axel as usual. Music sounds like elevator muzak though... Kaori has a lovely flow across the ice, but I'm not convinced that this music or program sets her apart. She is fantastic from the knees down, probably the best edges out there. Not sure I've seen anyone with edges that strong since Yuka Sato (honourable mention to Joannie9 Rochette) to be honest. But I think her posture is better suited to music and a program that is more dynamic and powerful.
I feel completely the opposite. I always thought of her as barreling around the rink with droopy posture and flailing arms, with her posture getting worse as she got more and more tired...But that's the interesting thing about discussing. We think differently. She looks so improved to me, and I'm really happy for her.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Protocols are up!

Rino got 3Lz!q+3T< 😬
Still I like that the tech panel are calling lutz edges, seems like they're doing it a bit more recently.

Also I need to know who Judge 3 is, they are as besotted with Rino as me 😂
CrUIGXb.png
Yes. They really need to reward the athletes with proper lutzes. So, good judging.

Judge 3 sees what we both see on the ice 😜

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My thoughts - Kaori was really good - not sure I love the program and she kind of had to fight for the combo but that's why she's the two time champ.

Loved Chaeyeon and Rino too - both lovely skaters who delivered. Good for them!

The American women did great! I actually love all three of their SPs - great choices of music, dresses and choreography. Audrey looked strong. Lindsay's presentation has improved so much (but could see the underroation in the combo). Starr fought for her program - such a fierce number for her.

Poor Rinka - she became a favorite of mine last year but looks to be struggling this year. Does she still go for the triple axel any more?

The Canadian women did not have a great day... but tomorrow is a new day.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My thoughts - Kaori was really good - not sure I love the program and she kind of had to fight for the combo but that's why she's the two time champ.

Loved Chaeyeon and Rino too - both lovely skaters who delivered. Good for them!

The American women did great! I actually love all three of their SPs - great choices of music, dresses and choreography. Audrey looked strong. Lindsay's presentation has improved so much (but could see the underroation in the combo). Starr fought for her program - such a fierce number for her.

Poor Rinka - she became a favorite of mine last year but looks to be struggling this year. Does she still go for the triple axel any more?

The Canadian women did not have a great day... but tomorrow is a new day.
Kaori skated like a champ though the program - meh. The americans were second tier here but fine. The Canadians completely forgettable. I am losing faith in Madi. She talks the talk but can't deliver the goods. she isn't even a Jennifer Robinson. Very mediocre and forgetable Canadian ladies. Far from the days of say Osmond and Daleman at their peak with Chartrand nipping on their heals. These ladies are not top ten maybe not top 15. Oh the fall from grace didn't Canada almost have it all years ago. But it is great to see the Americans showing they are a foce to be reckoned with.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Kaori skated like a champ though the program - meh. The americans were second tier here but fine. The Canadians completely forgettable. I am losing faith in Madi. She talks the talk but can't deliver the goods. she isn't even a Jennifer Robinson. Very mediocre and forgetable Canadian ladies. Far from the days of say Osmond and Daleman at their peak with Chartrand nipping on their heals. These ladies are not top ten maybe not top 15. Oh the fall from grace didn't Canada almost have it all years ago. But it is great to see the Americans showing they are a foce to be reckoned with.
Hmmm...what is this? A nationalistic rant for the Americans? I am rooting for Lindsay, but not this way.

Skating91

Medalist
Sakamoto quite lucky to be in the lead by 5 points. 75 a big, big score. Got lucky with a not clear edge call rather than a wrong edge call. It was an inside blade not flat.

The lutz landing looked on the quarter as well.
Kaori-3-Lz.jpg

Then blade assistance on the flip (1). As well as big underrotation(2).
Kaori-3F.jpg

Followed by the 3T also underrotated(3). None of it called and in fact 2s and 3s from the judges despite both jumps being well short.
Karoi-3T.jpg

Kim unlucky I thought not to be close or ahead of Kaori. The flip was a marginally flat edge but after everything else I saw the judges ignore they find fault with Kim for that. Kaori gets the same call for an actual inside edge on a lutz. This is just a marginally flat edge at worst for Kim. Kim had the more interesting program and she's more expressive too (that's just opinion is all it is not factual like the landings).

Something needs to be done because it's two weeks in a row now that the judges have been asleep and it's massively affecting results. It's completely unfair. It kills my enthusiasm for the sport. What should be a wonderful sport is mere sports entertainment when what I see clearly with my eyes sitting at home is not reflected on the scorecard. Components will always be subjective to an extent, but the least they could do is judge the landings correctly.

Last week Levito's problems with her landings were completely overlooked in the short (and Hendrickx to an extent), then Hendickx in the free nearly underrotated every jump but it was all ignored by the judges.

I could go through the Canada short program I'd be posting for hours. I made notes.

What can we do to help the judges? Do they need better technology? Is it an education issue? We need to get this corrected.

We have to get this right because Sakamoto is aiming the be the best of the last 50-60 years by three-peating world titles this year. The stakes will be high. The judges need to be up to it.

Last edited: