2023 U.S. Nationals Sr. Women's Short Program | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2023 U.S. Nationals Sr. Women's Short Program

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I have a question about Starr. Does she have a Triple Lutz? I know she didn't have one in Canada but, I thought they were playing it safe. Can she make the podium without one????
I think it's more likely than not that she'd hold onto third. She can still do a six triple LP without a lutz, and the women behind her after the SP don't usually surpass that number of triples. Amber is capable of doing so, but Gracie hasn't in many years and the rest are far enough behind that they'd probably need two triples beyond what Starr does.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Does anyone have a link to where we can see info about the skaters and who their coaches/choreographers are? It would be interesting to find out who all these different coaches are that I see with the skaters. Would be nice if the commentators on the broadcast could also mention the coaches, I think fans might like to know.
I can try and put coaches in PBP's tonight.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Having the World Champions in the event has its privileges.
I don’t think that having World Champions in event does that much. I mean, for the past few years the men have always gone back to back despite Nathan being WC.

SkateTM0102

On the Ice
Honestly? I see plenty of speed, and especially power (Johnny has said she still has some of the best jumps of all the US ladies. I do not pretend to know her personally or know her finances. But she does have her Road to Gold training camps, including an adult weekend one in Vail. She has sponsors, and she did the Ice Dreams tour last summer. She’s also written or is writing a book. As for her costumes, they are all Brad Griffies custom costumes and I’m sure they are very costly. She’s just more ladylike and refined (on the ice), I mean I would go out there covered in huge freaking rhinestones, but I’m way more of a loud and in your face personality. Yes, she’s wearing the same dress as last year, but she’s doing the same program.

Terry Gannon said she’s “chasing her own idea of perfection” and I love that.
I was just going to comment, I also have no idea of Gracie’s finances but she is still using Brad Griffes for her costumes. She’s used him since at least the 2014 Olympics (he made that blue dress). If you go on his Instagram there’s a post about Gracie and an up close of that dress. It is covered in rhinestones. Like everywhere…I imagine that dress was very, very expensive. It’s personally not one of my favorites because I think the waist of the skirt is too high and the skirt comes up weird when she’s spinning, but I do not think it’s a cheap dress in any way, shape or form. BTW, my absolute favorite Gracie dress was the short for “I Put A Spell on You.”
And I agree, I didn’t think Gracie looked slow at all, she actually has a lot of power, she covers the ice in a few crossovers. However, she often backs off when competing and I think that’s why she pops some in the second half. She really kept her speed up going into that triple flip in the short and it was a beauty! I’m hoping she will rotate at least 5 triples tonight, but I’ll be honest, I’m not feeling great about it. I hope she proves me wrong and has a great skate! I wonder if she plans to stick around another year?

skatemore

Rinkside
I was there in 2018, it was a Olympic year, so the larger crowds.

It does look really empty on TV, though. Maybe there will be more people over the weekend.
Good point about the Olympic year.

There was a whole (very large!) section of prime seats to the left of the judges that was completely empty the entire night. It would have been nice if the organizers had moved the Development Team down there to make the place seem less deserted.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Wow, lots of drama in ice dance. What a huge score for Chock/ Bates. Ice dance scores are off-the-hook at the high end these days. C/B are clearly class of the field. I'm sorry Hawayek/ Baker had to WD. But if this is C/B's final season, they will go out in style at Nats.

I think Flores/ Desyatov were not given what they deserved. Clearly, they are an excellent, above-average team. Being new and skating early wasn't helpful. Because they are so good, certain teams who made mistakes or were less compelling, were placed behind them.

While I like Zingas/ Kolesnik, they appear to be very favored with that high score. They were very good, but so were Flores/ Desyatov and Bratti/ Somerville, two other equally young and talented up-and-coming teams. Yet, Z/K get the nod, maybe due to Kolesnik's high profile and past accomplishments with Avonley Nguyen, and a mix of politics.

Skating clean in the FD, may have Carriera/ Ponomarenko moving over Z/K overall, based on pecking order seniority, etc.

Probably no doubt, it will be Chock/ Bates, Green/ Parsons, and Hawayek/ Baker at Worlds. Maybe C/B and H/ B will skip 4CCs, giving C/P and two other lucky young teams the chance to compete there.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes usually they make an effort to make it look more crowded than it is but I have a feeling in this case they knew it was impossible.
I'm hoping things will improve during the free skate. A lot of people want to be there to see who wins and will only buy Free Program Tickets.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm hoping things will improve during the free skate. A lot of people want to be there to see who wins and will only buy Free Program Tickets.
Ok…but the premium seats have been sold out for a long time. Would people actually pay $1500 or $3000 or whatever it is for first row and only come to watch the women’s long? Because I find that to be crazy.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was just going to comment, I also have no idea of Gracie’s finances but she is still using Brad Griffes for her costumes. She’s used him since at least the 2014 Olympics (he made that blue dress). If you go on his Instagram there’s a post about Gracie and an up close of that dress. It is covered in rhinestones. Like everywhere…I imagine that dress was very, very expensive. It’s personally not one of my favorites because I think the waist of the skirt is too high and the skirt comes up weird when she’s spinning, but I do not think it’s a cheap dress in any way, shape or form. BTW, my absolute favorite Gracie dress was the short for “I Put A Spell on You.”
And I agree, I didn’t think Gracie looked slow at all, she actually has a lot of power, she covers the ice in a few crossovers. However, she often backs off when competing and I think that’s why she pops some in the second half. She really kept her speed up going into that triple flip in the short and it was a beauty! I’m hoping she will rotate at least 5 triples tonight, but I’ll be honest, I’m not feeling great about it. I hope she proves me wrong and has a great skate! I wonder if she plans to stick around another year?
Terry Gannon says she’s “chasing her own ideal of perfection” which I love. So I guess whenever she achieves that. Maybe when she’s 30?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ok…but the premium seats have been sold out for a long time. Would people actually pay $1500 or $3000 or whatever it is for first row and only come to watch the women’s long? Because I find that to be crazy.
Well, as Superfans, we can sit and watch skating for days and not get bored. The year I went to Helsinki, we watched the practices and the Free Program. For me, it was very thrilling even without seeing the SP portion. For the non-skating members of our cast, they got coffee or hot chocolate during the first flights. They watched the final flights and bolted before the show was completely over. They weren't even thrilled by Maria Butyrskaya story. :console:

Last edited:

withwings

On the Ice
Finally got a chance to watch US women SP... Bradie Tennel deeply touched my heart with her...everything...it was a full package!! there was a heart, a soul, and a body...holy trinity as one may say... so, so happy for her development, for her love of sport, her progress. She is 24, it is not like she is a teenager. Bravo, Bradie!! :clap::points:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
This is one of the prettiest pieces of music of all time (in my opinion): Appalachian Spring. The vocals for this version are... special.
The vocals really are special!

For those who aren't familiar with it, "Simple Gifts" is a Shaker hymn that was almost unknown outside Shaker communities until Copland used it in "Appalachian Spring," which he scored for the Martha Graham company in 1944. As a singer, it's been my great good fortune to have performed a vocal setting of "Simple Gifts" several times with my chorus. I love the tune and the words:

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we will not be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come round right.

to come down where we ought to be---isn't that the gift that every skater wants for every jump? Talk about a "place just right!" 🥰

sworddance21

On the Ice
The vocals really are special!

For those who aren't familiar with it, "Simple Gifts" is a Shaker hymn that was almost unknown outside Shaker communities until Copland used it in "Appalachian Spring," which he scored for the Martha Graham company in 1944. As a singer, it's been my great good fortune to have performed a vocal setting of "Simple Gifts" several times with my chorus. I love the tune and the words:

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we will not be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come round right.

to come down where we ought to be---isn't that the gift that every skater wants for every jump? Talk about a "place just right!" 🥰
Yes, I love this sone, especially the lyrics. In my professional acting days I was in an original work about the Shakers called The Dancers of Canaan. I sang that song.

mrrice

Record Breaker
:ot: Do the alternate skaters travel to these events JIC? I remember Emily Hughes was not at the Olympics when Michelle got injured and left. Since it won't be a big trip, will they send Starr to 4CC?