2023 U.S. Nationals Sr. Women's Short Program | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2023 U.S. Nationals Sr. Women's Short Program

sworddance21

On the Ice
Well, that was wonderful!! Isabeau skates young, but she IS. She does not skate like a Junior, though IMO. Her attention to detail is phenomenal. I absolutely LOVE Bradie's new program. Starr was great - but usually I really feel her, and this time I didn't as much. Not sure why. Amber's program suits her to a T. And finally, - OMG GRACIE IS IN THE FINAL FLIGHT!! And with a look at the podium.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I couldn't post during the last group (technical troubles) ... but I had to come here and say how gorgeous a skater Isabeau Levito is, and how singular, how really special. She reminded me a little of Michelle Kwan, when she would come out and skate with calm confidence, no matter who else was skating (well, until Tara).

Isabeau's artistry is stunning. It's her attention to detail, and this is where she betters Bradie, in my opinion. And Bradie is also a great skater. Tomorrow should be a squeaker.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow! Gracie! I usually criticize her for lack of fighting power.
The way she went for the 3T after a shaky 3Lz was wow!
Also, when I saw her go for the 3F, I yelled out NO, go for 3S…but, she went for 3F and that was the best triple flip I’ve seen her land. Wow!
This should be 3rd place
I fear that flip means her hip is STILL bothering her. I hope very much I am wrong.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know. Question - when did you become such a big Gracie fan?
Well I became a Gracie fan before her Olympic season, so what, 2010 maybe? I mean I was a fan, the first live figure skating event I went to was Boston Worlds in 2016. I drove, albeit with my sister, which makes driving much more tolerable. We sat way way way up in the rafters and sat through 44 womens shorts and then came hers and just perfection. Immediately went back to the hotel and started watching it over and over. My sister was like “are you watching that again?” And I was like yes, it was that good. Than the long and devastation. Than jacketgate and more devastation. Then I went to KC Nationals and that didn’t go so well either. Then I think she retired, went into ED treatment. Then she’s making a comeback. She had to start from nothing. Like doing basic conditioning and a lot of it. Then she could start skating again. Like basic skating. Her whole body had changed and sometimes it was one step forward and two back. And she worked like a dog. And she has nothing to prove to anyone. But she keeps going. She had to go to regionals. She had to go to sectionals. Placed 3rd at regionals. Didn’t make the tech mins. Everyone’s like “she won’t make the tech minimums.” But she did. Goes to Greensboro. Skates imperfectly, but that wasn’t the point. That’s the first time I brought her roses. I was hyperventilating so badly I could hardly speak. After that I started practicing what I would say. Now I just kind of have an idea. And now I follow her around the country and give her roses at each stop. And she got TWO International assignments this year. And if she can stay in 5th she will have a bye and people can stop predicting she won’t make Nationals next year. I just can’t even fathom the intestinal fortitude it must have to go from living in a house with black trash bags over all the mirrors because you can’t stand to look at yourself and lying in a bed thinking you’ll eventually just die and someone will find your body to…to this. To what she did tonight. It’s one of the more astonishing things I’ve seen in my life, in or out of sport. And every time she goes out there she takes me and everyone else with ED, anxiety, depression with her and we are represented. Thank you for attending my TED talk.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You are right. I didn’t think about that. I’m going to cringe when I see her go for the 3Lo 🥹😟
I mean maybe she isn’t still injured (and if she is she didn’t show it) but whenever she isn’t injured I want her to burn that flip with fire.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Bradie!!!!!!!! Squeeeeeeeeeeeee

So great to have her back!!! She was fabulous and I'm just so so so happy to watch her skate again!

I had a giggle when I read that she said she got over excited and made small errors at the end🤣

She really truly loves the sport and doesn't carry angst about it like some others do. I truly hope she stays as fit as a fiddle and competes for as long as she wants to!

Isabeau was also lovely and very engaging as a performer!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought they did but alas they don't. They gave the pairs a day off. Surprising.
Whatever happened to the Ladies skating the final on Saturday night? Now the LP is on a Friday night not even on the weekend and the Ladies event is done even before the Pairs final why are they taking along with the Men the most popular event of Nationals and just getting it out of the way as fast as possible? It's idiotic. :mad:

katymay

Medalist
Ava keeps growing on me.
Ava IMO, has the most raw jumping ability and natural ability with the possible exception of Amber Glenn. And other aspects of her skating have improved a great deal. Isabeau does everything well except...jumps. The way she sinks on her knees, comes to a complete stop and flails her arms around (on toe jumps) is difficult to watch. That one aspect of her skating is very juniorish, otherwise, she is of course, beautiful to watch with wonderful spins and skating skills.
Nationals judging always leaves me a bit : hmmmm. Well okay. Hosed on PCS: Clare Seo and Audrey Shen. Gifted PCS: Gracie Gold. (Sorry Moonvine)

sworddance21

On the Ice
I just can’t even fathom the intestinal fortitude it must have to go from living in a house with black trash bags over all the mirrors because you can’t stand to look at yourself and lying in a bed thinking you’ll eventually just die and someone will find your body to…to this. To what she did tonight. It’s one of the more astonishing things I’ve seen in my life, in or out of sport. And every time she goes out there she takes me and everyone else with ED, anxiety, depression with her and we are represented. Thank you for attending my TED talk.
Yes. Everytime she steps on the ice she gives me hope for my Kiddo who struggles with anxiety and depression.

macy

Record Breaker
the first group was a bit rough, but really happy Ting skated well and even made top ten! she might not have the difficult jumps like she used to, but much of her previous level of skating is still there. i hope Gasparatto goes home and really digs into PCS with Rohene, if she can build some refinement + consistency with jumps she'd place a lot higher.

Claire and Audrey got hosed, i thought both of them would be mid 60s. I think both should have been ahead of Ziegler and maybe even Shin ahead of Thorngren.

i'm not sure if i agree Starr should have been ahead of Amber. She skated really well, but i think she was a bit gifted with GOE and PCS. the one thing that just bugs the heck out of me with her skating is her shoulders. they seem to always be high/tensed. maybe it's just me, but its one aspect i have never been able to look past. This was definitely a win for Amber, it wasn't perfect but she looked good. Gracie was my 2nd biggest highlight, this is as close as we've seen her to her previous form in like 2014-2016. she looks so much more comfortable in her skating. it has taken her like 5 years to get to this point and i am SO, SO proud of her. what a role model and queen she is. After she retires, i would love to see her in some kind of mental health role in US figure skating.

But the highlight of the night for me...BRADIEEEEEE. This was a breakthrough for her. it's taken her so long and so much to get to this point; I just hope no matter where she places she skates well tonight. The old Bradie is back and i hope she stays healthy and injury free. i want so bad for her to finish out her career the way she wants to.

I figured Isabeau would very narrowly nab first. i really appreciate her attention to detail and how she takes her time with every movement. each one has purpose. however...man, that jump technique. i just want her back to stay upright and straight instead of hunched over on the way into them. i really don't want her injured because of it one day, she's got so much talent yet to tap into.

anyway, i'd be happy with any order of Bradie and Isabeau 1-2 and i am GUNNING for Gracie on the podium, it would be her first in 7 years AND at 27 years old. not holding my breath, but what a moment that would be for her. it would be so awesome if she was sent to 4CC.

if i were to re-place the top 10 this is how i'd do it:

1. Levito
2. Tennell
3. Glenn
4. Andrews/Gold
5. Gold/Andrews
6. Shin
7. Thorngren
8. Seo
9. Ziegler
10. Cui