2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating | Golden Skate

2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
With an early competition already happening this weekend in Alberta, we can officially start a new thread.

Go πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ !

Feel free to discuss your wishes, expectations and predictions for the new season in here !

The biggest question mark will be with our top senior dance teams : who will be returning next season. Both teams have mentioned last year they were going it year by year, and the worlds at home must have been an incentive to remain in the competitive field. Let's see what happens next year.

Also, as it is customary, there are tons of splits, retirements and new partnerships getting formed right now. I am looking forward to seeing the new team of Bombardier and Mimar.

Any thoughts and comments about the new season already ?

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Nothing official. But rumors about Brooke is trying out with skaters from Spain, Italy and other countries.
That would be heartbreaking considering both her mother and sister are Olympians and have represented (and will represent) Canada. That Brooke would jump federation, and have her career under another flag is something I feel uneasy about because of her family history... But, it's not my feelings here that matter most but hers ;) She is tall so the pool of partners is indeed very shallow. I wonder if Daleman is still trying to get back into the sport and though he is only 20cms taller than Brooke, he is taller than Brooke's former partner Brandon Toste. I wish her all the best.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It was mentioned that Billy Wilson French was accepted into Julliard (amazing achievement!!) Does anyone know if he has decided to go?
I am assuming in dance. And if that's correct, I have a hard time seeing how he could do both Julliard and competitive skating. Even if he relocated all his skating activities to NYC, how would he train both at the same time? I am thinking it would be so demanding physically. But what do I know ? :)

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I am assuming in dance. And if that's correct, I have a hard time seeing how he could do both Julliard and competitive skating. Even if he relocated all his skating activities to NYC, how would he train both at the same time? I am thinking it would be so demanding physically. But what do I know ? :)
I'd read somewhere that Billy is a professional level dancer - this confirms it. I wonder if he'll move to solo dance at some point? Or compete in both solo dance and ice dance.

He's the second fantastic ice dancer from South Yorkshire to defect to Canada (the other being Peter Beaumont).

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Difficult but not impossible as long as he stays healthy in general and injury-free, since his dance would be also his off-ice work for skating. They would support each other in conditioning, interpreting, and performing. He just has to be realistic about some limitations to maximum progress he's imposing on himself in both fields, and accept that there will be occasional scheduling conflicts that he'll have to resolve.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Difficult but not impossible as long as he stays healthy in general and injury-free, since his dance would be also his off-ice work for skating. They would support each other in conditioning, interpreting, and performing. He just has to be realistic about some limitations to maximum progress he's imposing on himself in both fields, and accept that there will be occasional scheduling conflicts that he'll have to resolve.
If he is enrolled at Julliard, he'd have a schedule to respect in terms of show etc. it is very difficult to compromise. He can adapt ice dance but not so much with his studies.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'd read somewhere that Billy is a professional level dancer - this confirms it. I wonder if he'll move to solo dance at some point? Or compete in both solo dance and ice dance.

He's the second fantastic ice dancer from South Yorkshire to defect to Canada (the other being Peter Beaumont).
We gave you the Fear sisters and G. Waddel :)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
If he is enrolled at Julliard, he'd have a schedule to respect in terms of show etc. it is very difficult to compromise. He can adapt ice dance but not so much with his studies.
I know, my daughter went to Juilliard (violin). Presumably either he'll have thought this all out himself, or if not, a counsellor there will make sure he understands his commitments. That's assuming he does try to do both, and we don't know that yet anyway, so it's all academic (no pun intended).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I know, my daughter went to Juilliard (violin). Presumably either he'll have thought this all out himself, or if not, a counsellor there will make sure he understands his commitments. That's assuming he does try to do both, and we don't know that yet anyway, so it's all academic (no pun intended).
Attending a performing arts school is one thing. He can surely do it and keep doing ice dance. Succeeding is another thing. The performing arts school are so competitive that if he wants good opportunities while studying there, he would need to be there fully invested. He can do that and skate recreationally... But I have my doubt about doing both at the same level. Dance is worse than music in that sense because many more things are group versus individual classes and training.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Attending a performing arts school is one thing. He can surely do it and keep doing ice dance. Succeeding is another thing. The performing arts school are so competitive that if he wants good opportunities while studying there, he would need to be there fully invested. He can do that and skate recreationally... But I have my doubt about doing both at the same level. Dance is worse than music in that sense because many more things are group versus individual classes and training.
That's why I hope Juilliard still has the counsellors they had when my daughter was there. With staff cuts everywhere, who knows. But one of their jobs was to make sure the starry-eyed ones understood exactly what you're saying, among other things. Knowing nothing about the boy except that he skates and dances, I don't know if he has realistic expectations or not. My daughter was pretty single-minded and wasn't pulled in two directions like he would be. She could devote her time fully to the orchestras and chamber groups that attracted her more than a career as a solo violinist. Whether he can be mentally in two places at once is speculation, but I hope he gets the advice and assistance that used to be provided by that school.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That's why I hope Juilliard still has the counsellors they had when my daughter was there. With staff cuts everywhere, who knows. But one of their jobs was to make sure the starry-eyed ones understood exactly what you're saying, among other things. Knowing nothing about the boy except that he skates and dances, I don't know if he has realistic expectations or not. My daughter was pretty single-minded and wasn't pulled in two directions like he would be. She could devote her time fully to the orchestras and chamber groups that attracted her more than a career as a solo violinist. Whether he can be mentally in two places at once is speculation, but I hope he gets the advice and assistance that used to be provided by that school.
All I can say is that there was not much available resources in my days
(won't tell you where I studied because that's just me but it's a very reputable school)
and that one needed to practice all day to 1) meet your solo requirements because if you want 2) earn an orchestral position, you better be good at 1.

I have a very hard time believing that doing both at the same time is possible, unless he has a deal with the school that he will be on a part-time basis... but many school do not accept part-time students in performing arts school. It's a bit like dead-weight. Each student costs a lot of money so if they are not integrated in the school productions, why are they there ?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
All I can say is that there was not much available resources in my days
(won't tell you where I studied because that's just me but it's a very reputable school)
and that one needed to practice all day to 1) meet your solo requirements because if you want 2) earn an orchestral position, you better be good at 1.

I have a very hard time believing that doing both at the same time is possible, unless he has a deal with the school that he will be on a part-time basis... but many school do not accept part-time students in performing arts school. It's a bit like dead-weight. Each student costs a lot of money so if they are not integrated in the school productions, why are they there ?
I know, I would suspect this is all rumour and if he does have both options he'll only choose one. I don't know if Juilliard would allow him to defer studying there if he chose to skate first? My daughter had a friend who was accepted at Oberlin and asked if he could defer that for a year, for reasons I can't remember now. They said no, not for his reason anyhow.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I know, I would suspect this is all rumour and if he does have both options he'll only choose one. I don't know if Juilliard would allow him to defer studying there if he chose to skate first? My daughter had a friend who was accepted at Oberlin and asked if he could defer that for a year, for reasons I can't remember now. They said no, not for his reason anyhow.
A friend of mine in Europe had a hard time getting a deferral : his reason, broke his arm playing football.... after several weeks of back and forth, they accepted to give him a deferral. It's no joke. These school are so competitive, not just to get in, but during education and also to get out in style... But it shows how talented as a dancer he is, and often, very talented individuals need to make difficult choices. Sometimes, money can be a factor too in these decisions. Julliard with (and perhaps even without) a scholarship is probably cheaper than figure skating.