2024 Canadian National Skating Championships : Pre Game Chat | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2024 Canadian National Skating Championships : Pre Game Chat

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well let's make the best of what it is. I am sad there are some big withdrawls in ice dance we are missing the exciting LaLa and the Dandians who were going to battle for second and third. I guess this opens the door for two teams who wouldn't have even be thought of as a podium threat before this doom and gloom. Also, missing in pairs is the favoured bronze medallist andu and commers. So sad about the defending bronze medallists missing. Maddie S is in a league of her own. But she hasn't skated great this year. She is Canada's only hope in ladies. The men is a crap shoot. It's like do any of them really want the title. Yes, it is a relief Roman made it with boots though ice is slippery :( I have no idea what to expect with the men other than the unexpected and at the end of the day nothing will be really settled.

Sackie

Medalist
and at the end of the day nothing will be really settled.
This is so true. Unless one of the top contenders comes out and skates lights out and wins convincingly. But if they all skate about the same and are like last year where one has a bad short but great long or a great short and bad long then what does Skate Canada do for assignments. Do they just send the top 3 to 4CC and then wait to select the world team depending on 4CC results. And if Roman is not in top non-injury form yet will sending him out back to back do him more harm?

slider11

Medalist
Good thing Piper and Paul hung in there this year or the Canadian ice dance could be in a real pickle in maintaining world spots. Hopefully, if injury is the issue for LaLa, then they will petition to go to Worlds and have a decent showing. F-B/S's issue is another matter that may take time to resolve. I wonder if Firus/Sourcisse now regret their attempt to realign with Ireland. They could have been silver medalists! But I imagine they are looking at the long run and I'm not even sure they were released by Canada. Regardless, I can't wait to see Piper and Paul!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Good thing Piper and Paul hung in there this year or the Canadian ice dance could be in a real pickle in maintaining world spots. Hopefully, if injury is the issue for LaLa, then they will petition to go to Worlds and have a decent showing. F-B/S's issue is another matter that may take time to resolve. I wonder if Firus/Sourcisse now regret their attempt to realign with Ireland. They could have been silver medalists! But I imagine they are looking at the long run and I'm not even sure they were released by Canada. Regardless, I can't wait to see Piper and Paul!
Firus/Soucisse were released and are currently competing at European's.

slider11

Medalist
Thanks for the update on Soucisse/Firus. I see they are currently mid-pack in Europeans. Maybe this change will give them the boost they've been looking for.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Worlds are in a couple months from now. I suspect LaLa will be back in time. If they are, I don't see how Canada would have a hard time keeping worlds spots.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Worlds are in a couple months from now. I suspect LaLa will be back in time. If they are, I don't see how Canada would have a hard time keeping worlds spots.
I think it’s only a potential issue if neither the LaLas nor FB/S are able to compete.

Though I am a great fan of Laur/LeGac and am delighted that they have this opportunity to seize the moment at Nationals this year. I believe in them!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think it’s only a potential issue if neither the LaLas nor FB/S are able to compete.

Though I am a great fan of Laur/LeGac and am delighted that they have this opportunity to seize the moment at Nationals this year. I believe in them!
If both these teams are not at Worlds, Canada will retain 2 spots. There are bigger issues on this planet I am afraid ;)

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Stream archives are up very quickly and I've been posting the English and French archives in the junior threads :). The English stream has had some issues that the French hasn't.
Who are the commentators on the French stream?