2024 Canadian National Skating Championships : Pre Game Chat | Golden Skate

2024 Canadian National Skating Championships : Pre Game Chat

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Welcome to the Canadian National Skating Championships Pre Game Chat !

Canadian Nationals competitions (juniors, seniors and synchro) will be held in Calgary from January 9th to 13th
(Official practice on January 8th, Gala on January 14th).

Complete schedule can be found here https://skatecanada.ca/2024-canadian-national-skating-championships/#schedule

Have you watched sectionals/challenge ?

What skaters do you look forward to seeing compete ?
What is your wish list ?

Posts your thoughts, news or links to social medias (skaters in training for instance) here !

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Skaters have until Friday to finalize their entry to Nationals, so the start orders/entries should be up next week. It'll be interesting to see if the YOG entries will do Nationals too.

I'm looking forward to seeing Fee Ann Landry for senior women after her win at Challenge. She'll probably be this season's medalist with only junior B international experience. Also looking forward to Rose Theroux and how she does after more time with Ravi. And Sara-Maude too ❤️

For senior men, I was happy that Conrad, Matthew and Aleksa all had a better competition after their last competitions. I'm more confident in how they'll do at the moment thanks to Challenge. Happy to see Anthony do well at Challenge too.

WarmCheers

Rinkside
It'll be interesting to see if the YOG entries will do Nationals too.
I heard that YOG team has to compete in this years Nationals.
Posts your thoughts, news or links to social medias (skaters in training for instance) here !

More curious to see whether Fiona will compete in both categories and how she will do.

For Juniors, Lulu Lin mentioned during the post game interview with Ted that she had been injured going into Challenge so she couldn't add all her planned elements into her programs. Looking forward to see whether she can fully recovered and keep the 160+ domestic scores up.

For senior pairs, three teams in GP Final this week. Can't wait to see how they would do after all the excitement, as well as whether Brooke and Ben can come back strong after the unexpected fall in Finland.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Two teams for senior pairs, three for juniors. Three teams for dance..

Talder

Spectator
Excited to see Synchro included again. It adds a great energy to the event. Les Supreme, Nova and Nexxice compete in Kingston this weekend before going head to head at Nationals.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Excited to see Synchro included again. It adds a great energy to the event. Les Supreme, Nova and Nexxice compete in Kingston this weekend before going head to head at Nationals.
You probably noticed I created a thread just for synchro which we can use when the competition is happening !
I will update all these threads in a couple weeks at the latest, when the info is made available from Skate Canada.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I hope there will be a lifestream again for all of us who are interested outside of Canada. There usually is (I watched Challenge too). I am looking forward to it. For some reason, Canadians is always so much fun to (re) watch!

Weathergal

Medalist
I hope there will be a lifestream again for all of us who are interested outside of Canada. There usually is (I watched Challenge too). I am looking forward to it. For some reason, Canadians is always so much fun to (re) watch!

There will be a livestream, they have the page up for it here :)

So glad to read this -- I really enjoy watching Canadian Nationals, too!

WarmCheers

Rinkside
Skate Ontario is hosting a simulation camp for Ontario nationals entries today. Roman, Stephen, Conrad, Maddie, Fiona, Hetty, Lulu, Brooke/Ben, etc. are all going to perform there with a judge panel. Fiona will do both single and pairs. Hope they are doing well going into the Nationals in a couple of weeks.

Sackie

Medalist
So Skate Ontario is picking up the slack and realise these skaters need to be skating in front of judges more. Just hope the judges mark as hard as the skaters will face internationally. One thing I always liked about Can Nationals is that scores are not sky high like at some other nationals.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
That's good of Skate Ontario. At least Roman will have something resembling a full competition before Nationals, along with the other Ontario skaters.

I agree about the scoring for the most part. I'm not sure about ice dance after Challenge since the scores for some of the teams were 20 points higher than their SB. I don't know how accurate the scores are there, but if they're being scored that much higher domestically then they should be sent out more.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Skate Ontario is hosting a simulation camp for Ontario nationals entries today. Roman, Stephen, Conrad, Maddie, Fiona, Hetty, Lulu, Brooke/Ben, etc. are all going to perform there with a judge panel. Fiona will do both single and pairs. Hope they are doing well going into the Nationals in a couple of weeks.
well well well :) isn't that interesting :) we were hoping for Roman to have a shot at competing before nationals.
I feel a bit weird about this though : let's say that Roman or anyone here does very well or very poorly, does that help or negate their qualification for 4CC compared to Wesley and Aleksa who won't even be there ?

Or is this just a friendly runthrough :)

WarmCheers

Rinkside
well well well :) isn't that interesting :) we were hoping for Roman to have a shot at competing before nationals.
I feel a bit weird about this though : let's say that Roman or anyone here does very well or very poorly, does that help or negate their qualification for 4CC compared to Wesley and Aleksa who won't even be there ?

Or is this just a friendly runthrough :)
Not sure whether Skate BC and Quebec would have similar camps to prep the skaters. Also not sure how serious Skate Canada or even the skaters themselves look into the performance and the results from this kind of simulations. The set up is pretty formal, with the morning practice at the rink, introduction of the skaters before 6 minutes warmup for each group...... hope everyone can gain something from this.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not sure whether Skate BC and Quebec would have similar camps to prep the skaters. Also not sure how serious Skate Canada or even the skaters themselves look into the performance and the results from this kind of simulations. The set up is pretty formal, with the morning practice at the rink, introduction of the skaters before 6 minutes warmup for each group...... hope everyone can gain something from this.
I think it depends. Quebec would not be able to run a decent men simulation ;) but they certainly could run it in the other disciplines. BC has very few skaters but they do have Aleksa and Wesley and even Gabriel could be included.

I am happy Skate Ontario is aiming to prepare their skaters well. I am also thinking other provinces are doing something more or less formal... I doubt Skate Ontario is the only province acting smart in that department :)

My point is more that we haven't seen Roman and barely seen Conrad this season. And 4CC selection is around the corner. It's just weird. I also confess that I really want to see Conrad at Montreal worlds ;) but yeah... it will be tough.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
My point is more that we haven't seen Roman and barely seen Conrad this season. And 4CC selection is around the corner. It's just weird. I also confess that I really want to see Conrad at Montreal worlds ;) but yeah... it will be tough.
I don't think the partial 4CC announcement is helping, especially with the other entry announcement drama going on. Now there's people making jokes in other places about the men, or playing the Spanish TES game with them. Or wondering if there are women who have the minimums. I'm choosing to believe it's bureaucracy at work for the rest of the entries and they're getting their visas in order.

Still no entry lists/start orders. Hopefully they'll be up by tomorrow.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't think the partial 4CC announcement is helping, especially with the other entry announcement drama going on. Now there's people making jokes in other places about the men, or playing the Spanish TES game with them. Or wondering if there are women who have the minimums. I'm choosing to believe it's bureaucracy at work for the rest of the entries and they're getting their visas in order.

Still no entry lists/start orders. Hopefully they'll be up by tomorrow.
There was ABSOLUTELY no point sharing that partial list. 1) we knew they were going. 2) most of them already have their visas). 3) nobody on that list was an "if".

NO point but creating drama when it's already not a good thing....
Considering all the talk we have done about the lack of opportunities for our skaters, if I were a communication adviser for Skate Canada, I would have been quiet at this point with such an announcement.

Also, it simply exposes and confirms the weaknesses we have in some fields.