Adelina Sotnikova Flip-loop combination | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova Flip-loop combination

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
Glad to see her training at all o
O I didn't think she was practicing st all... But I like what I see!! Now hopefully she will stop flutzing

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The 3L is < if not <<, and this is coming from a fan. But I do think she intends to continue competing, because even in the competition she skated in this year she still showed a 3/3, 3Lz (maybe flutz, couldn't tell from the angle), and the other triples.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
The 3L is < if not <<, and this is coming from a fan. But I do think she intends to continue competing, because even in the competition she skated in this year she still showed a 3/3, 3Lz (maybe flutz, couldn't tell from the angle), and the other triples.

I agree that it was short but she's gotten the 3Lz-3Lo rotation ratified before (not the edge) so I'm sure if she really wants it, she could get it, I always liked her 3F better than her 3Lz

Globetrotter

Medalist

Theres quite a bit of pre-rotation on the 3R. I won't say it is << but certainly looks < even without slo-mo. I personally love the 3R combos just for the sheer athleticism and speed and instinctive reflexes required. Looking at the ratified ones from Slutskaya (3Lz-3R, Worlds 2005), several from Ando (3Lz-3R), Asada (3F-3R) and certainly Tara Lipinski's 3R-3R, it looks like those that get ratified are immediate launch into the second 3R without any hesitation and allowance for pre-rotation. It is very different from a 3T tagged on where you almost land on the first jump, get a bit of outflow and then launch the 3T. The 3R combos are like land the first and then immediately off you go up. Those where you hold out a bit invariably gets called for < or even << probably due to the pre-rotation.

Pity that 3xx-3R combos do not get sufficiently rewarded both in BV and GOEs for their sheer difficulty. Consider a 3R-3T versus 3T-3R. They both get the same BV and GOE but the latter is actually much more difficult to execute. I personally think the second 3R ought to have a bonus BV of 25% if fully rotated and GOEs get a similar 25% extra bonus. Things can stay the same if the combo gets a < or <<. This should give lots of incentives for skaters to aim for the more difficult combos. It is also amazing that very few male skaters have managed to tag a 3R - off my head, I can only think of Eric Millot (first ever 3R-3R), Alexei Urmanov (3S-3R) and Kevin Reynolds (3F-3R I think). Perhaps they get more points out of 3A and quads. More ladies have attempted 3R combos since quads and 3A are in another realm for them but I think it is also getting much less popular especially after Asada decided to sit out.

Great that Sotnikova is trying it. She could technically get a much better technical BV for her jump layouts with a 3F-3R, where she can repeat both 3F and 3R instead of 3F and 3T in her previous.

Possible layout:
3F-3R
3Lz (e) - better fix this quick!
2A-3T
3F-2T-2R
3R
3S
2A

Sotnikova actually has a huge and steady 2A - only Tuks can match hers among the Russians who generally have scary axel techniques at present. If ever one day she can land a 3A, her BV difficulty will reach that of Mao Asada's at Sochi and we can see if someone will really land a fully ratified 8 triple programme - which hadn't been done yet.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I don't like a loop in a combo at all. It always looks ur, or it is actually very difficult to make it fully rotated no matter who does it. I even hate 3lo-3lo more. It always gives me the feeling the skater is "cheating", even for Mao.

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
Theres quite a bit of pre-rotation on the 3R. I won't say it is << but certainly looks < even without slo-mo. I personally love the 3R combos just for the sheer athleticism and speed and instinctive reflexes required. Looking at the ratified ones from Slutskaya (3Lz-3R, Worlds 2005), several from Ando (3Lz-3R), Asada (3F-3R) and certainly Tara Lipinski's 3R-3R, it looks like those that get ratified are immediate launch into the second 3R without any hesitation and allowance for pre-rotation. It is very different from a 3T tagged on where you almost land on the first jump, get a bit of outflow and then launch the 3T. The 3R combos are like land the first and then immediately off you go up. Those where you hold out a bit invariably gets called for < or even << probably due to the pre-rotation.

Pity that 3xx-3R combos do not get sufficiently rewarded both in BV and GOEs for their sheer difficulty. Consider a 3R-3T versus 3T-3R. They both get the same BV and GOE but the latter is actually much more difficult to execute. I personally think the second 3R ought to have a bonus BV of 25% if fully rotated and GOEs get a similar 25% extra bonus. Things can stay the same if the combo gets a < or <<. This should give lots of incentives for skaters to aim for the more difficult combos. It is also amazing that very few male skaters have managed to tag a 3R - off my head, I can only think of Eric Millot (first ever 3R-3R), Alexei Urmanov (3S-3R) and Kevin Reynolds (3F-3R I think). Perhaps they get more points out of 3A and quads. More ladies have attempted 3R combos since quads and 3A are in another realm for them but I think it is also getting much less popular especially after Asada decided to sit out.

Great that Sotnikova is trying it. She could technically get a much better technical BV for her jump layouts with a 3F-3R, where she can repeat both 3F and 3R instead of 3F and 3T in her previous.

Possible layout:
3F-3R
3Lz (e) - better fix this quick!
2A-3T
3F-2T-2R
3R
3S
2A

Sotnikova actually has a huge and steady 2A - only Tuks can match hers among the Russians who generally have scary axel techniques at present. If ever one day she can land a 3A, her BV difficulty will reach that of Mao Asada's at Sochi and we can see if someone will really land a fully ratified 8 triple programme - which hadn't been done yet.

I think a better layout for her would be:
3Lz
3F
3L
2A-3t
3F-2T-2L
2A-3T (OR 3L-2A which I could see her doing.)

CarneAsada

Medalist
I had no idea she was still training. The combination looks good, probably < but I definitely don't think it's <<. Plus if she ends up doing this next season we can enjoy a guilt-free 3-3 from Sotnikova with no technical issues.

jkun

Final Flight
It'll be interesting to see how the Russians battle it out for the spots. I think Liza will be there #1 for 2018, however, or I hope. Her skating is much more pleasant to look at. It will also be interesting if Adelina decides to train a 4T to combat Liza's 3A.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Good to see Adelina back in training. Though I hope her foot is really okay and she isn't pushing too hard too soon. :slink:

-3Lo looks <, but not bad for someone who was out with injury. If she really wants to challenge the loop combinations, 3F-3Lo is probably the smarter choice; if she does 3Lz-3Lo and gets an edge call, that kills the GOE for her entire combination.

@Globetrotter
Imo, the reason men don't do a lot of loop combinations isn't that they can't--it's that there's no point. Why do a challenging -3Lo combination (that could get a UR call) when you can do a -3T combo and a solo 3Lo for the same number of points?

GF2445

Record Breaker
I want to see her do the Je Suis Malade FS she did at the test skate. The running to the boards and dying infront of the judges was everything!!

Nice combination. I hope to see a more refined mature Sotnikova this cycle.

KweenAsada

On the Ice
I don't like a loop in a combo at all. It always looks ur, or it is actually very difficult to make it fully rotated no matter who does it. I even hate 3lo-3lo more. It always gives me the feeling the skater is "cheating", even for Mao.

Really? I love a triple loop as the second jump in a triple/triple. It's beautiful. I wish more skaters tried it. Mad props to Adelina for trying this. I hope she brings it next year.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Imo, the reason men don't do a lot of loop combinations isn't that they can't--it's that there's no point. Why do a challenging -3Lo combination (that could get a UR call) when you can do a -3T combo and a solo 3Lo for the same number of points?

Sigh, it was exactly what I suspected. And it is the same for the ladies too. For the men, they could get better dividends by training a quad or a 3A rather than tagging a 3R in combo and risking the <. I guess the issue I have is what many have said already - CoP BV does not fairly reward and score combos in relation to their real difficulty. And 3R combos are certainly much more difficult than 3T combos and there is a lack of incentive for going after them. For ladies, the quad and 3A is in the stratosphere, so I guess there is some room to go for 3R combo. Really, I do think 3R combos ought to be rewarded with an additional bonus in the BV e.g. the 3R BV can be boosted by 25% (5.1 -> 6.4) when done successfully as the second jump in combo, with an additional 10% bonus if done in the 2nd half. I believe this may encourage some other folks to start thinking of tagging the 3R.