Alena Kostornaia | Page 106 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Wishing her a speedy recovery and strong come back next season.

BTW, just a pointer/suggestion. I know it is quite common that her name is being spelled in English as "Alena", but it is actually quite misleading. Her name in Russian is spelled Алёна Косторная, with two dots above her "e", which means her name is pronounced as Alyona/Aljona. Since the pairs champion Ms. Savchenko, with the same name, has always been known as Aljona, why not start calling her (or writing her name) as such? And I think this fan thread is a good place to start... Or did explicitly approve of (or even prefer) being called Alena somewhere at one point???

SkateSkates

Medalist

BTW, just a pointer/suggestion. I know it is quite common that her name is being spelled in English as "Alena", but it is actually quite misleading. Her name in Russian is spelled Алёна Косторная, with two dots above her "e", which means her name is pronounced as Alyona/Aljona. Since the pairs champion Ms. Savchenko, with the same name, has always been known as Aljona, why not start calling her (or writing her name) as such? And I think this fan thread is a good place to start... Or did explicitly approve of (or even prefer) being called Alena somewhere at one point???

I think most people spell her name Alena for a couple of reasons - this is how the ISU has translated it and this is also how she spells it on her personal Instagram accounts. But true fans of course know it’s pronounced Alyona 😍

MGstyle

Medalist
I think most people spell her name Alena for a couple of reasons - this is how the ISU has translated it and this is also how she spells it on her personal Instagram accounts. But true fans of course know it’s pronounced Alyona ��
Oh, I see... it always nagged me whenever I saw it, but I guess if she is ok with it there is no reason for that :laugh:

taylor1

On the Ice
Oh, I see... it always nagged me whenever I saw it, but I guess if she is ok with it there is no reason for that :laugh:

I spell her name like Alena just because that's how everyone else spells it. But I pronounce it as Alyona

Azikin

Medalist

It would help if you see some past pages in this fanfest. This has already been discussed many times.. ;)

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
Today's photo? So, Anna (and Sasha) is still in Moscow? I know ladies start only in friday, but presumed they aldready flew to Croatia.
Also, good to hear Alyona's health is good, if true of course, but I tend to believe positive news easily.

The photo was made 2 weeks ago (according with answer in the IG comment)

MGstyle

Medalist
It would help if you see some past pages in this fanfest. This has already been discussed many times.. ;)

Ok, I see, I should have known... I have been seeing this spelling everywhere, was getting annoyed every time, and I just came here to vent it. well, I see I vented in the wrong place, where people already know the right way :palmf::laugh2:

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Elena Radionova (she is commentator on match tv from Universiada in Krasnoyarsk) said that she have seen Kostornaya and Kogan there just now. Most likely she would participate in gala tomorrow with her new twilight performance - but it strange - to say the least 0_0

Fluture

Record Breaker
Elena Radionova (she is commentator on match tv from Universiada in Krasnoyarsk) said that she have seen Kostornaya and Kogan there just now. Most likely she would participate in gala tomorrow with her new twilight performance - but it strange - to say the least 0_0

What? This doesn't make any sense. I mean, I would be thrilled to see Alena of course (JWC just isn't the same without her) but I doubt she'd choose not to compete if she could actually skate and then do a gala program instead... she should focus on recovering!

SkateSkates

Medalist

Very strange and you can also get in trouble from the ISU for skipping competitions to do shows - I remember something happened with Plushenko a few years back. It would only make sense if she doesn’t do any jumps? Maybe she’s just there to watch? Keep us posted if you hear anything else!!

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Whatever happened to Alëna, I wish for her fast recovery. :pray::pray::pray:
I was rooting for her for JWC. Her skating is just magnificent.
Looking forward to her senior debut.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Radionova said that Alena arrived in Krasnoyarsk because there is main russian team doctor there.

Scott512

Record Breaker
That makes sense.. hopefully she will be OK soon...

Hoping whatever it is is minor but there's no reason to risk her future on a Junior event even though it's a big Junior event and she could win it. Alena is skating for 2022 not 2019.

Batsuchan

Medalist
Her fans gave her flowers and gifts for international women’s day. She looks happy
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuykZenHexl/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=3gjhffc43d2z

Beauty! :love: It's so good to see her smiling! :luv17:

I hope that Alyona recovers soon and isn't too disappointed that she missed Jr Worlds! :pray:

Elena Radionova did an interview recently, and she had some lovely things to say about Alyona:
https://rsport.ria.ru/20190307/1551611049.html
(from GoogleTranslate)
Q: Nina Moser in a recent interview told me that she was not interested in the Russian championship, since the majority of figure skaters and figure skaters do not meet the modern requirements of skating - few have the necessary lightness, airiness, skill of the skate. Radionova has never had such a claim at any age. Are you impressed by any of the current athletes?
A: Alena Kostornaya. She is pleasant to look at, because she merges with the music; she has good skating skills. She just needs to smoothly go into adult skating, not to lose jumps. As far as I know, she owns a triple axel. I think someday she will show it to us at competitions.

Elena is one of my favorites, so it was quite cool to see her complimenting my other favorite. :biggrin: