Alena Kostornaia | Page 107 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

SkateSkates

Medalist
Finally some information on the injury: rsport.ria.ru/amp/20190310/1551665168.html

As we suspected, inflammation where the skate hits her leg. The wrap on her ankle at jr Nationals was very obvious. They were clearly hoping she could make it though Jr Worlds and then recover but it wasn’t possible. I’m just glad she’s taking the time off that she needs now.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Whatever happened to Alëna, I wish for her fast recovery. :pray::pray::pray:
I was rooting for her for JWC. Her skating is just magnificent.
Looking forward to her senior debut.

Finally some information on the injury: rsport.ria.ru/amp/20190310/1551665168.html

As we suspected, inflammation where the skate hits her leg. The wrap on her ankle at jr Nationals was very obvious. They were clearly hoping she could make it though Jr Worlds and then recover but it wasn’t possible. I’m just glad she’s taking the time off that she needs now.

Is it because she's growing and adding ounces to her weight and her boot is too tight? I am sorry for any pain Alena is in.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Is it because she's growing and adding ounces to her weight and her boot is too tight? I am sorry for any pain Alena is in.

It’s likely from repetitions when she taps in for her triple toe/takes off on the axel since the wrap was on her left leg. Impossible for it to heal without taking time off and they probably inadvertently made it worse by not addressing it immediately after JGPF. Had she taken time off then and skipped nationals she would have had time to recover for Jr Worlds. Hopefully this is a learning lesson for her and her team to not ignore or minimize any health problems.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
easy to say. RN is really important if you want to get funding and got in a main national team.

SkateSkates

Medalist
easy to say. RN is really important if you want to get funding and got in a main national team.

Right so I guess they chose to get selected to the national team and funding for next year over sitting out to recover in time for JWC. Honestly she won JGPF which is a higher level of competition so she didn’t necessarily need Jr Worlds for her international reputation but it does hurt her with ranking points for next season.

Scott512

Record Breaker
It’s likely from repetitions when she taps in for her triple toe/takes off on the axel since the wrap was on her left leg. Impossible for it to heal without taking time off and they probably inadvertently made it worse by not addressing it immediately after JGPF. Had she taken time off then and skipped nationals she would have had time to recover for Jr Worlds. Hopefully this is a learning lesson for her and her team to not ignore or minimize any health problems.

She should have missed Jr nats instead of Jr world's. I hope Alena is healthy soon.

SkateSkates

Medalist
She should have missed Jr nats instead of Jr world's. I hope Alena is healthy soon.

Health is the most important thing. Unfortunately I think she would have had to sit out of both senior and junior nats to recover in time, and it doesn’t seem like that was an option. 4 weeks off the ice post GPF would take her to mid-January, which would only give her about 6 weeks to recover for Jr worlds. I see why they decided to try to push through to the end of the season with the hope that they could manage the pain, but unfortunately it wasn’t possible. I’m glad she withdrew and didn’t push herself to compete and risk further injury or a bad performance.

Hopefully we will see her in an exhibition in the off season 🤞

GlitterIce

Rinkside

Glad it isn't anything more serious. Get well, Alena!

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just saw on Instagram that Daniil confirmed that Alena, Anna, and Sasha are all moving to seniors next year. The team wants all three girls to learn triple axels and compete them in their short programs [emoji15]

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
I'm glad it's just a boot related issues.

Alyona's absence at the JWC was a tremendous void :drama:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Perhaps she skated too long in her old Chorus boots, which shafts perhaps suddenly lost their support of Alyona's ankles when the leather/fabric wore out. And if Alyona has naturally strong shins, calves and ankles she might not even have noticed her boots degrading until the pain began and wouldn't go away when learning the triple Axel.
The injury described is akin to a 'tennis elbow', i.e. inflammation of the attachement of tendon to bone??

Her new Concerto's are said to be much stiffer, but perhaps less comfortable and there was insufficient time to have both the ankle healed and the new skates broken in.

I am glad Khrustalniy chose to rest Alyona instead of pushing her, even if Alyona herself perhaps would have wanted to compete despite the pain, her coaches held her back for her health's sake.

Now she has enough time to heal, break in her new skates and learn some new skills and routines.
And picking up her backlog of classes, subjects and preparing her end of year exams. She might be equally ambitious in her academics as she is in her skating ...

Batsuchan

Medalist
Yes, how much more interesting the gala could have been.. :sad4:

:sad46:

Japanese TV finally aired that footage they took at Sambo 70 a few weeks ago--when Masaru was on the ice.
You can see happy Alyona very briefly around 0:39: :love:
https://vk.com/figureskating_love?z=video-164963490_456240379/37d8b467427c09b927/pl_wall_-64888695

Separately, someone posted an old live broadcast that Darya Panenkova made in 2017 with subtitles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdSrXo8j_MU

I know some people don't approve of fans reposting videos, but I will admit I enjoyed this one. Unsurprisingly, our little hooligan was goofing off with Dasha when her mother joined the broadcast and then called--maybe to scold her? :laugh2: Apparently Alyona told Dasha that she ate 8-10 kebabs, and then she told her mom she only ate 5-6...? :rofl: Little devil indeed! :biggrin: :luv17:

Giltedge

Final Flight
This article in today's business online is an interview with Olga Ryabenko, where she discusses the ideas behind and the making of Anna's and Sasha's new costumes for their new gala exhibition programmes. She also talks a bit about making the "third costume" at the same time for Alёna's new exhibition programme, and how she is sworn to secrecy about new costumes that she makes, until they can be revealed by the skaters or their coaches.

http://sport.business-gazeta.ru/article/236068