Alina Zagitova | Page 965 | Golden Skate

Alina Zagitova

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
And another one analyzing Cleopatra in detail -

Here is my take at it, another really good in depth posting on this exquisite blog Art in Sports:

Her own Cleopatra

At the end of last week, Alina Zagitova first introduced her free program to the image of Cleopatra in competition. The fans of the champion were waiting with bated breath for the premiere of her new dress, and some fans not deprived of artistic talent, were waiting actively, creating their own sketches. As a result, the dress could not help but raise a lot of noise: someone's expectations were exceeded, others' were not justified. In any case, in my opinion, the program definitely deserves a very thorough study, and this applies not only to the costume, but also to the musical accompaniment, and, of course, the very choice of the image.

We have repeatedly observed how Alina's coaching staff departed from the traditional interpretation of classical and well-known images to more closely match the character of the skater and to reveal her talent more thoroughly. In some cases, this was not required: for example, the cheerful, sparkling fun Kitri from the ballet "Don Quixote", whose main task is to enthral the audience with her virtuosity, was perfectly suited to demonstrate the unique abilities of young Alina in her famous fireworks program. Or the role of Christina in The Phantom of the Opera (for which, it seems to me, Alina looks better than the actress who played her in the film adaptation of the musical) - the main innovation in this production was not in reading the image, but in an incredibly rich choreography and selecting a sound track that does not repeat those previously used in figure skating.

But “The Black Swan” directed by Daniil Gleikhengauz significantly differs from the classical embodiment of Odette / Odile in ballet art: it partially echoes Darren Aronofsky's film of the same name, but in fact it is a completely independent story based on the ballet about a person growing up. Alina’s Carmen also has her own, although it contains many quotes from the choreography of Maya Plisetskaya - not tragic, but triumphant, rebellious and unconquered. This year, for Alina, the role of Cleopatra was chosen - a historical figure about whose life over two thousand years we only know little with surety, which gave birth to many myths, theories and interpretations of her history.

To begin with, the last queen of Egypt was not an Egyptian either - Cleopatra belonged to the Ptolemaic dynasty, which came from Ancient Macedonia. Hellenistic Egypt, which Cleopatra ruled, was never very similar to the country that usually pops up in our mind at the thought of Ancient Egypt. Under Greek influence, customs, beliefs, styles changed. Even the capital was in Alexandria, founded by Alexander the Great, and not in ancient Thebes or Memphis. Some traditions were nevertheless observed: for example, the custom to marry between reigning brothers and sisters, the deification of the ruler: Cleopatra associated herself with the goddesses - both Isis and Aphrodite at the same time - and was formally married to her two younger brothers.

Reliable images of Cleopatra, which could be used to judge her appearance, have not been preserved. Egyptian and ancient artists and sculptors represented the queen in their own way, giving her similarities, respectively, with either Greek or Egyptian ideals of beauty. From the biographies of Cleopatra in the works of ancient historians one can also draw very contradictory information, for example, Plutarch argued that “the beauty of this woman was not something that is called incomparable and striking at first sight, but her appeal was distinguished by irresistible charm and therefore her appearance, combined with the rare persuasiveness of her speeches, with the enormous charm that shone in every word, in every movement, she slammed into the soul. The sounds of her voice caressed and delighted our ears, and her language was like a multi-stringed instrument, easily tuned to any mood, any dialect. ”

What historians and folk rumour agree on is that the queen was an incredibly educated woman for her time, she knew many languages ​​(including Egyptian - it is noteworthy that the rest of the Ptolemies did not bother themselves and spoke only native Greek) and was strong in ancient sciences. It is known that two great Roman rulers - Julius Caesar and Mark Anthony - were in a romantic relationship with her. It is also known that her path to the throne was very thorny and passed through the corpses of sisters and brothers hostile to her. However, the licentiousness and bloodthirstiness of Cleopatra, according to some modern scholars, was exaggerated by order of the emperor Octavian to discredit the image of the queen after her death, presenting her as a dangerous enemy of Rome and the "evil genius" of Mark Anthony.

The history of the last Queen of Egypt attracted artists and poets, writers and cinematographers, and everyone spoke of her in his own way, eventually turning her from a historical person into a cultural phenomenon (like Richard III or Antonio Salieri). The image of the majestic, proud and tragic queen, created by the great Hollywood movie stars Vivien Leigh and Elizabeth Taylor (who relied on the game of Lee, working on her role), has become entrenched in the minds of modern man. But the life of the queen did not consist of continuous tragedies. Historians also mention the lush feasts in which Anthony and Cleopatra spent their time, and their amusements - like walking in the clothes of commoners around the city at night. Such a legend has survived:

“Once Anthony, planning to impress Cleopatra with his fishing skills, sent down divers who constantly put a new “catch” on his line; Cleopatra, quickly deciphering this trick, sent a diver of her own, who planted dried fish on Anthony's line.”

As you can see, this Queen, apparently, was not only smart, but also had a sense of humour, therefore, is it really implausible that Alina Zagitova is this smiling, playful Cleopatra ?

It seems to me that Daniil Markovich deliberately did not take music from the films about Cleopatra for this program: precisely for the purpose of showing an unconventional image of the queen. The first soundtrack is the work of the famous British singer and composer Peter Gabriel "The Feeling Begins" from his album "Passion". The music from Passion was originally written for Martin Scorsese’s film “The Last Temptation of Christ,” but after release of the film, Gabriel finalised it and released it as a separate track in a separate album. To create this unique musical composition, marked by numerous awards, Gabriel combined his unique vocal abilities, mastery of percussion and the talents of musicians from all over the world, with whom he creatively reworked Middle Eastern folk motifs: Pakistani, Iranian, Egyptian, Armenian, Kurdish, Turkish, Senegalese ... In particular, in "The Feeling Begins" there is a revised Armenian melody "The Wind Slows", performed on the Armenian duduk.

This is the first part of the program, a mysterious, mesmerizing intro, with an increasing pace created by percussion, with interesting bundles between four jumping elements, demonstrating the flexibility of the skater and referring to the elegant static poses of figures in Egyptian bas-reliefs. It ends with a rotation of the "ring".
link to Youtube clip

The next part is an excerpt from another excellent soundtrack: music for the film "Lawrence of Arabia", written by French composer Maurice Jarre, awarded with an Oscar for Best Soundtrack. Alina’s production uses the most famous part - the Theme of the Desert, which sounds simultaneously solemn and gentle, mesmerising, exotic, sunny and romantic. To these sounds, Alina "floats" on ice in a free spiral with a change of edges.
link to Youtube clip

Perhaps wearing such a smile, Queen Cleopatra was sailing her ship towards Mark Anthony, depicting Aphrodite. Here is what Plutarch wrote about it:

“She sailed along Kidna on a gilded stern ship which purple sails swelled in the wind, and her rowers measuredly lowered and lifted silver oars to the music of pipes, flutes and lute. Cleopatra herself reclined under a canopy of gilded cloth in Aphrodite’s robe, such as we are we see her in the pictures, and on both sides of her stood boys with webs dressed as Cupids ... From the numerous censers on the deck of the ship came a wonderful smell of incense, reaching the banks of the river ... Gradually a crowd of people gathered at the market square where Anthony was sitting on the dais, expecting the Queen, but he was left alone. Rumour has it Aphrodite herself was at a meeting with Dionysus, for the happiness of Asia."

And finally, the last part: Hatir Hicham’s incendiary composition “Ramses”, composed of music for modern oriental dances. Here Alina demonstrates her super-fast steps sequence, which also includes some recognisable movements of oriental dances and new references to ancient Egyptian painting.
Many links to Youtube clip

Well, a few words about the dress.

Again, I like that this image is not "quite the obvious" There are clear references to the Egyptian theme: gloves in the form of snake bracelets (by the way, a good net) and a falcon on the chest - symbols of the pharaohs, bright eye makeup, graphic cuts on the skirt. The color scheme also fits into Egyptian symbolism: gold is the color of the sun, black is the symbol of fertility, blue is the color of lapis lazuli, often used by the Egyptians in jewelry and makeup. Many noted the similarity of the costume with this Vivien Leigh dress (especially the necklace and falcon on the left side of the bodice):
Many links to movie stills

And at the same time, it is still a figure skating costume, with rhinestones, with smooth wave-like lines on the bodice, which you will not find on Egyptian costumes, without fancy designs for a head dress. So this is a very interesting stylisation that fits Alina and at the same time matches the image.

In general, we got a wonderful modern program, which Alina skates with obvious pleasure. Perhaps, this season that's the most important. Alina will have her own Cleopatra, mysterious, infinitely charming, timeless.

P.S .: I want to thank everyone who left their comments on my previous blog posts - it was very nice and unexpected to get so many positive feedback and useful tips at once. I am very pleased that such reviews are of interest to readers, it inspires and gives strength to continue to improve my blog.
-----
From: https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/artinsport/2598033.html

Art in Sport, very appropriate for the Amazing Aces from Khrustalniy, who together with their trainers, designers, choreographers and seamstresses never fail to surprise and impress us.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
This would make me so happy!

Well, she is into visage and couture, but perhaps is rather practical about her hair too, it has to be sporty and comfortable both. She doesn't seem to be of the vanity or beauty pageant type, sitting at her dresser for hours inventing 'new looks' ;-)

Alina still draws and paints for pleasure? Perhaps here she can really let her creativity flow and express itself?

But she is probably too shy to show her couture sketches, if any, to her seamstress? Perhaps her seamstress will appreciate them, professionally asses them, and can persuade Alina to try and design, or give her an assignment? Practice makes perfect and knowing about dresses, fabrics, composition, colour theory, their fabrication can be very beneficial if Alina wants to pursue a career in couture, or design like she told in her big interview a few postings below.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
A nice blog post about Alina's artistic journey through her senior seasons

Here is the other blog post:

What is Art in the world of Figure Skating?

After reading the comments to the latest figure skating news, I noticed the word "artistry" and its meaning are repeated in many.

Actually, this inspired me to create this post.

Let's figure it out.

ARTISTISM, a, m. (Dictionary). Exquisite workmanship in art, virtuosity in work.

Virtuosity at work is an important point, and for some reason some fans constantly discard it.

Today I want to talk about the artistry of our Real Olympic Champion, Alina Zagitova.

If not everyone noticed this before, now, in 2019, you can see how much she has grown in terms of skating technique and components.

How did the story of this future legend begin?

Don Quixote. The years 2017-2018.

It was with this program that she won the Olympic Games in Pyeongchang. Cheerful, perky, bright, and already, as it turned out - victorious.

But this free program is very different from the short one, in which Alina appears in the image of a Black Swan, and plays a real drama on ice.

It is necessary to be able to abruptly switch from a perky and positive mood into a dramatic one.

These 2 images once again confirmed the genius of Alina, at that time, still a very small, 15 year old girl, and her Coaching Staff.

Preserving artistry, being able to transform into different images and at the same time preserving a set of technical elements and winning, and all this in 15 is unthinkable.

After Alina’s triumph at the Olympic Games, a new, perhaps even more difficult season began for her.

Season 2018/2019.

Many were struck by the variety of images this season.

Short program, Phantom of the Opera.

Under terrible pressure, ridicule, jokes, delivering programs with very different images and moods, for this you need to have iron willpower.

In her SP, Alina appears in a rather gentle manner, and in a dress of light colours.
link to YT video

And already in the free program, Alina appears in the image of a burning and, as it turned out, victorious Carmen.
link to YT video

And many people ask themselves: how, at that time, a 16 year old girl could so easily transform from one mood into another?

I however, and many fans also, will answer: this is artistry. Not wringing your hands with open mouth and miming lyrics, but the ability to transform.

In each of her programs, Alina is like a different, new person, and this with all the technical content.

Well, that wasn’t all.

Demonstration program "Lara Croft" for the same season.
link to YT video

For me, this is the very program that fully characterises the strength of Alina’s character.

" I'm a survivor.

I'm not gon 'give up

I'm not gon 'stop

I'm gon 'work harder

I'm a survivor

I'm gonna make it

I will survive

Keep on survivin "

Lines from 2WEI's "Survivor" song, which were prophetic for Alina that season.

And Alina finished the season 2018-2019 in triumph.

Well, this season, a completely happy skater appears before her viewers in even more beautiful, different and new ways.

A new, more dramatic image of the composition "Me Voy", which Alina completely imbued.
link to YT video

A regal program with excellent choreography, where Alina looks relaxed and very happy, freed from any bindings, “Cleopatra”.
link to YT video

A slightly modified "Bad guy" for EX, which, it seems to me, answered almost all the questions.
link to YT video

Coming to the conclusion:

2017-2018: a vibrant program, a cheerful image, provocative music and a real drama with intensity of emotions and passions that melt the ice.

2018-2019: a gentle, sensual program with unexpected transitions in music, passionate, burning and victorious Carmen, as well as a strong, independent, strong-willed Lara Croft.

2019-2020: a dramatic production of beautiful music, really Regal program and the image of a bad girl who left all her problems behind and who doesn't care about someone else's opinion.

Impeccable artistry and technique, the ability to transform and show in all of her programs new and fresh images - that's Alina Zagitova.
-----
From: https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/greatfs/2599536.html

Referring to the other skater this ungraceful way is perhaps a bit over the top ...

Giltedge

Final Flight
...Referring to the other skater this ungraceful way is perhaps a bit over the top ...

I don't read that as referring to any particular skater, rather to a trend among some, and a fair enough opinion to voice in a piece focusing on Alina's impeccable artistic interpretation.

In any case, it seems to be falling out of fashion now, under the influence of the undoubted and varied artistry of such as Alina, Anna, Alёna Ko, Alёna Ka, Kseniya and Alexandra (& Darya, Maiia, Kamila, Sofiya, etc...not a comprehensive list, of course :love:.

Last edited:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
A retrospective of Alina's beautiful skating costumes created by Olga Ryabenko (they forgot the green dress for the Sperbank commercial :sad21: ) and the dresses of the 3A. -

https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/greatfs/2600834.html

Beauty really is in every detail....

Nice to see this posting, but it has little actual information (as compared to the in depth analysis of programs and images by Art in Sports and others).

But it shows the dedication of #TeamTutberidzeForProgress to every part of the image and presentation of their skaters, down to the smallest detail. Details one doesn't notice on TV or even in the stadium, but which are only discernible in good quality photographs. The selected dress designers and seamstresses employed in sowing and decorating these dresses and costumes (a jumpsuit can hardly be called a dress) deserve full credit for their work and craftsmanship.