Animal Fun | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Animal Fun

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm not sure of any of you already know about this, but on the platform formerly known as twitter (and there is an extension that basically turns it back into twitter for me, so I'm calling it that still) a friend retweeted this adorable feed which is very good for when I need just a little cuteness lift (aka calorie-free sugar rush :laugh:) in my day

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm not sure of any of you already know about this, but on the platform formerly known as twitter (and there is an extension that basically turns it back into twitter for me, so I'm calling it that still) a friend retweeted this adorable feed which is very good for when I need just a little cuteness lift (aka calorie-free sugar rush :laugh:) in my day

The husky puppy doing the faceplant in the snow is my cuteness lift :love:

The fat cats made me feel better about my own big boy who has sturdy bones and is rectangular, not spherical like them. He was told six months ago to lose 1 kg (2.2 lbs for non-metrics), and go from 19 lbs to 17. How can someone cut out all treats and live on prescription diet cat food for half a year and GAIN a pound!:scratch2::( I think he phones out for pizza when I'm not home.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Ever wonder what it takes to groom the largest furry dogs on the planet? Meet Duke .. the 180 pound Great Pyrenees furnado…😬😻!!

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Ever wonder what it takes to groom the largest furry dogs on the planet? Meet Duke .. the 180 pound Great Pyrenees furnado…😬😻!!

Wonder if she'd like to make housecalls for my 18 lb cat who hates to have his very thick fur combed? He's never aggressive about it, but he pulls away and runs off. I'm not strong enough to hold him still with one hand and comb with the other, so he gets a lion clip from two groomers every four months, which is how long it takes him to grow a full coat again. He goes in looking obese, comes out looking skinny but sooooo happy to be free of all that fur!

https://www.catcarevet.ca/grooming (that's my boy in the pictures, modelling)

Attachments

• Cute Spooky.JPG
    Cute Spooky.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 55

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wonder if she'd like to make housecalls for my 18 lb cat who hates to have his very thick fur combed? He's never aggressive about it, but he pulls away and runs off. I'm not strong enough to hold him still with one hand and comb with the other, so he gets a lion clip from two groomers every four months, which is how long it takes him to grow a full coat again. He goes in looking obese, comes out looking skinny but sooooo happy to be free of all that fur!

OMG .. so cute!😻
Does her fur grow out fully after every cut? I heard it sometimes does not ..
I had a cat done once due to extreme matting I could not manage.. looks like your floof has the same kind of undercoat mine did that tends to extreme mats .. mine of course would not let me touch her either. I think this groomer does cats too; not sure where she is located but I think your question was a rhetorical one.. we have had 100+ pound Newfoundlands for years (down to 2 now.. one very lazy lady Siobhan and a “baby” boy at 70 pounds, Beathen)
so have the utmost respect for the professionals who do this work but this GP blew my mind especially at the blow dry.. hysterics at her haz-mat suit, head gear and goggles 🤣

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
OMG .. so cute!😻
Does her fur grow out fully after every cut? I heard it sometimes does not ..
I had a cat done once due to extreme matting I could not manage.. looks like your floof has the same kind of undercoat mine did that tends to extreme mats .. mine of course would not let me touch her either. I think this groomer does cats too; not sure where she is located but I think your question was a rhetorical one.. we have had 100+ pound Newfoundlands for years (down to 2 now.. one very lazy lady Siobhan and a “baby” boy at 70 pounds, Bevan)
so have the utmost respect for the professionals who do this work but this GP blew my mind especially at the blow dry.. hysterics at her haz-mat suit, head gear and goggles 🤣
His fur does something different each time it grows back. He's a Maine Coon with a bit of other "forest breeds" (Norwegian and Siberian) mixed in by his breeder, so he has a triple layer coat. Sometimes his outer layer grows back more, which is less likely to mat so he can go a bit longer before his next clip. If his innermost floof grows back more quickly than the rest, like right now, it's so dense I can barely get a comb into it.

With past cats, we've had a long-hair who was all flowing outer coat with no undercoat and never matted, never needed combing, a Persian and a short-hair with a thick plushy coat who both could turn themselves into something that felt like a cobblestone pavement just rolling over in bed, and a mostly-Siamese who never got a mat in her life and never needed combing. Spooky is somewhere in the middle of that.

My older son and his family had Newfies until their four sons grew up and flew the nest. The boys had had the job of grooming the dogs and the parents found it beyond them. Now they have small terriers who love a vigorous brushing but don't need much else. My daughter and younger son have cats, like me. (I love dogs as long as they belong to someone else. Not keen myself on long outdoor walkies. My husband had never had pets growing up, but realized if he wanted to marry me a cat was going to be part of the deal :)) He was a keen gardener and I've always kept my cats indoors, so that worked out well. He could have walked a dog, but didn't want one digging in his garden. So cats it was. Spooky is the first who is all my own, being adopted 12 years ago shortly after my husband died.)

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sorry for your loss.. odd how an animal can fill the void. Great mix of cat breeds you have had over the years. Forest cats are huge and super independent and so beautiful but the short hairs are a blessing care wise for sure. Most of my animals are rescues/ special needs and seniors because I am also a senior and don’t want to leave animals behind..
there was a time many years ago I took in FeLeuk+ cats working with my local shelter. They do not live long tho some longer than others and losing them so young was heartbreaking but they had a good home and care for the duration. My favorite of these was Patches.. part British shorthair with an incredibly thick undercoat. I used a fine tooth comb on her and usually came away with enough fluff to knit a sweater! My sister owns the Neufs and I help her care for them every day; my dogs are ages 14, 11 and 5, all rescues. Two older ones Hannah and Po are blind and in good health for older dogs and will live out their
days with me; the 3rd Norman is in perfect health, small, probably an Affenpinscher and my only concession to the senior dog rule. My nephew will take him if something happens to me. And then there are the two senior cats Data & Ninja..
They are all great company!
This is Norman..
IMG_1652.jpeg

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Sorry for your loss.. odd how an animal can fill the void. Great mix of cat breeds you have had over the years. Forest cats are huge and super independent and so beautiful but the short hairs are a blessing care wise for sure. Most of my animals are rescues/ special needs and seniors because I am also a senior and don’t want to leave animals behind..
there was a time many years ago I took in FeLeuk+ cats working with my local shelter. They do not live long tho some longer than others and losing them so young was heartbreaking but they had a good home and care for the duration. My favorite of these was Patches.. part British shorthair with an incredibly thick undercoat. I used a fine tooth comb on her and usually came away with enough fluff to knit a sweater! My sister owns the Neufs and I help her care for them every day; my dogs are ages 14, 11 and 5, all rescues. Two older ones Hannah and Po are blind and in good health for older dogs and will live out their
days with me; the 3rd Norman is in perfect health, small, probably an Affenpinscher and my only concession to the senior dog rule. My nephew will take him if something happens to me. And then there are the two senior cats Data & Ninja..
They are all great company!
This is Norman..
View attachment 6770
Norman is so super-cute he looks like a stuffed toy :love:! He must feel like a little kid at a family gathering of grown-ups, surrounded by seniors. I know what you mean about not wanting to leave pets behind, as a senior myself from a short-lived family for whom 80 would be considered incredibly old! Spooky may be my last, depending on how long he survives. He's only 12, but he has diabetes so he's been getting insulin injections for about two years now. Most of my cats have been from the SPCA shelter, but he was a rescue of sorts from my vet -- his breeder died suddenly leaving a mother cat with a litter of kittens who she had not gotten around to registering yet. The breeder's daughter was allergic to cats and just bundled the little family up and handed them over to the vet to find homes for them, so he's purebred but paperless. My only other purebred, the little black Persian we had in the 1980s, was a similar case in that he was a runt in his litter and the breeder thought she'd have trouble selling him even at pet price. Her vet knew we'd just lost our beautiful big boy at 9 from liver cancer and didn't have to coax to get us to adopt Carbon Copy (Copy for short). He never grew larger than a six-months-old kitten, but was the healthiest cat we had, finally dying at 16 of lung cancer. He was succeeded by Cleo, the one with the "cotton ball" short coat, who also died of cancer, this time in her throat, at 9. I was beginning to think I was a jinx to cats, but our next girl, Sylvia, lived to be 16, apparently healthy, and then just died in her sleep one night of what her vet said was a heart attack. I'd actually adopted Spooky from the vet to console her after my husband died. She'd been such a Daddy's girl, and loved it when he when he was in a wheelchair or in bed for his last few years because she always had his lap to sleep on. After he was taken off to the hospital for the last time, she got so upset whenever I had to go out and leave her, I got Spooky to keep her company. She claimed him as her kitten from the first day, although she was alarmed when he grew to be twice her size. But he's so timid and shy, he meekly allowed her to boss him around for ten years. When she died so suddenly he was lost with no one to give him orders :(. I think he's now adjusted to being an Only.

That's great that you take in so many senior pets who need you! I wish I had the space and money to do that, but one at a time is about all I can cope with. Having Sylvia and Spooky overlap for those years was something different for me. My next-apartment neighbour was fostering some kittens last year and tried to get me to take one of them, but we experimented with having little Oscar stay here for a week and Spooky was Not A Happy Cat. He was kind to the visitor because he has beautiful manners anyway, but he really didn't want to be pestered to play by this lively brat. Kept giving me reproachful looks and slinking off to hide for long naps.

This is giant Spooky calmly watching a six-month-old Oscar try to taunt him into a wrestling match. Eventually the old gentleman had enough of this and just walked away. And the other picture is Sylvia helping Daddy use his computer.

Attachments

• IMG_1433.JPG
    IMG_1433.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Sylvia, 6 mos., safe on new Daddy's lap .jpg
    Sylvia, 6 mos., safe on new Daddy's lap .jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 50

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Norman is so super-cute he looks like a stuffed toy :love:! He must feel like a little kid at a family gathering of grown-ups, surrounded by seniors. I know what you mean about not wanting to leave pets behind, as a senior myself from a short-lived family for whom 80 would be considered incredibly old! Spooky may be my last, depending on how long he survives. He's only 12, but he has diabetes so he's been getting insulin injections for about two years now. Most of my cats have been from the SPCA shelter, but he was a rescue of sorts from my vet -- his breeder died suddenly leaving a mother cat with a litter of kittens who she had not gotten around to registering yet. The breeder's daughter was allergic to cats and just bundled the little family up and handed them over to the vet to find homes for them, so he's purebred but paperless. My only other purebred, the little black Persian we had in the 1980s, was a similar case in that he was a runt in his litter and the breeder thought she'd have trouble selling him even at pet price. Her vet knew we'd just lost our beautiful big boy at 9 from liver cancer and didn't have to coax to get us to adopt Carbon Copy (Copy for short). He never grew larger than a six-months-old kitten, but was the healthiest cat we had, finally dying at 16 of lung cancer. He was succeeded by Cleo, the one with the "cotton ball" short coat, who also died of cancer, this time in her throat, at 9. I was beginning to think I was a jinx to cats, but our next girl, Sylvia, lived to be 16, apparently healthy, and then just died in her sleep one night of what her vet said was a heart attack. I'd actually adopted Spooky from the vet to console her after my husband died. She'd been such a Daddy's girl, and loved it when he when he was in a wheelchair or in bed for his last few years because she always had his lap to sleep on. After he was taken off to the hospital for the last time, she got so upset whenever I had to go out and leave her, I got Spooky to keep her company. She claimed him as her kitten from the first day, although she was alarmed when he grew to be twice her size. But he's so timid and shy, he meekly allowed her to boss him around for ten years. When she died so suddenly he was lost with no one to give him orders :(. I think he's now adjusted to being an Only.

That's great that you take in so many senior pets who need you! I wish I had the space and money to do that, but one at a time is about all I can cope with. Having Sylvia and Spooky overlap for those years was something different for me. My next-apartment neighbour was fostering some kittens last year and tried to get me to take one of them, but we experimented with having little Oscar stay here for a week and Spooky was Not A Happy Cat. He was kind to the visitor because he has beautiful manners anyway, but he really didn't want to be pestered to play by this lively brat. Kept giving me reproachful looks and slinking off to hide for long naps.

This is giant Spooky calmly watching a six-month-old Oscar try to taunt him into a wrestling match. Eventually the old gentleman had enough of this and just walked away. And the other picture is Sylvia helping Daddy use his computer.
I adore these stories.. one-at-a-time is a good strategy.. we are country dwellers so a few at once works well but these are my last group after which I will donate to animal causes instead
The cat antics are familiar; difficult to have more than 2 cats in a household because they are so territorial. During the FeLeuk+ phase I had 3 together at the most which was challenging.
Spooky sounds cool and he is certainly beautiful.
Yah Norman is very active, Zoomies all day and at bedtime he drops like a stone and sleeps like the dead🤣.. and he dreams! Yipping barking feet running in place.. he makes me laugh every day. He bosses the others around but is surprisingly gentle.. he helps me guide the blind ones thru the gate to the dog yard and stays with them outdoors .. a really good little chap.. we both lucked out when he came my way.
Ninja (aka Nina, Ninochka) is black very tiny who had a litter before she was a year old.. awful for her. She was just a kitten herself. I had her spayed right away.
I have a sense of what you went thru with your husband; I help care for my BIL who is in a wheelchair and needs help all the time; my sister is the primary caregiver so we trade off chores and this gives her a break. We know where this is headed but one does the best one can til it is no longer needed. Sending you and Spooky big virtual hugs.🤗
Take care.. E

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Working Cats:

I tried to show this to my cat, but he wasn't interested in having a career. Actually, he could be claimed to be a Drug Prevention Officer. All he does all day is sleep, or sit quietly in the apartment window watching birds and squirrels at his level, or dogs being walked below. Who needs tranquilizers when they live with Spooky?

Attachments

• IMG_1551.JPG
    IMG_1551.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 40

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

He's stunning!

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Y'all - Gracie (the kitten, so there is no confusion) got in the shower with me tonight and STAYED in there. I tried to dry her off but she was having none of that. Kitties are so funny.
One of our past cats loved to sit on the edge of the bathtub and watch me when she was a kitten. One day she slipped and fell in, and just started to do the catpaddle. She thought that was so much fun she joined me frequently until she was about a year old, and then I guess decided that was baby stuff and never did it again. They do provide us with so much material for anecdotes, don't they!