As We Await the GP Assignments... | Golden Skate

As We Await the GP Assignments...

Seven Sisters

Medalist
These last few days before the Grand Prix roster announcements are perfect for thinking about what combination of skater assignments to the Grand Prix nearest you would cause you to immediately say to yourself, “That’s it!! I’m going!!” So, tell us—what combination of skater assignments to a single Grand Prix this year would you find impossible to resist? Currently eligible skaters only please; no wishing for a comeback by Michele Kwan or anything like that :)

For me, I’m thinking that it would take a combo of Kazakova/Reviya, Muramoto/Takahashi, and Tuktamysheva, to make me want to pack my bags for a trip to the smoke-filled, seamy underbelly of Las Vegas.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
So, tell us—what combination of skater assignments to a single Grand Prix this year would you find impossible to resist?

That's an easy one. Yuzuru Hanyu and Sota Yamamoto. Fat chance of them being together at a GP anywhere but Japan, or Sota getting any GP this year, but if that happened, I'd seriously consider buying a ticket to France :cool: Though who knows what travel rules will be like come Autumn.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
If Guignard/Fabbri were assigned to IdF again, I'd be there in a heartbeat if my job allowed. But, while working in education gives you nice holidays, they very rarely line up with skating events :(

However, if in an alternate universe my attending a GP was possible, my dream combination of skaters would probably be: Guignard/Fabbri, Nazarova/Nikitin, Mishina/Galliamov, Pavliuchenko/Khodykin, Ziegler/Kiefer, Della Monica/Guarise, Tuktamysheva, Valieva, Rizzo and Chen.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Nathan Chen, Shoma Uno, Mishina Gualiamov and Piper and Paul + Conrad and Joseph +being completely vaccinated + low transmission in Canada might entice me... but for now, I am thinking more about Nationals in January. Bonus : Patrick skating as a guest of honour, like I believe he was supposed to do in Montreal when it was canceled. As you can see, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA it will take me a lot to go to a GP next year. Will happily watch them online though

mrrice

Record Breaker
Nathan Chen, Shoma Uno, Mishina Gualiamov and Piper and Paul + Conrad and Joseph +being completely vaccinated + low transmission in Canada might entice me... but for now, I am thinking more about Nationals in January. Bonus : Patrick skating as a guest of honour, like I believe he was supposed to do in Montreal when it was canceled. As you can see, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA it will take me a lot to go to a GP next year. Will happily watch them online though
I agree with this entire comment. I am also waiting to see if Vincent can redeem himself after his poor showing at Worlds.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Mishina/Galliamov came to skate America, I would if I could brave the bright lights and the noise and the flight across the Rockies! If Alyona Kostornaia came too, I might actually make it a mission to get there. Sinitsina/Katsalapov would sweeten the deal

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Reportedly, June

They sometimes are a bit earlier in Olympic years, but this year? Who knows!
I just hope that we get the announcements at least in June/early July this year instead of in September like last year. Though I think we should, because the JGP starts in August. (Hopefully there is a JGP this year)

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
For Skate America, which I will attend:
Ladies: I really want to see Kamila. I figure she will be paired up with Tuktamysheva, so blah to that. The third Russian? Please be Kostornaia then! I'm sure Bradie and Alysa will be there. The third US? Probably someone like that black girl who skated to Whip My Hair when she was 8, I'm totally blanking on her name. Aurora? Something like that. For Japan, Sakomoto and Wakaba. It would be cool to see Hendricks.

Men: Nathan and the Asian American with superb flexibility, won't even try to guess his name. Kolyada. Maybe Hanyu or the new star from Japan?

Pairs: Sui/Han, Kneirm, whoever won Worlds this year.

Dance: Will probably just skip it to spend time on the strip.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I would love to see the French GP that combines Shoma, Wakaba, M/G, P/R, Aliona, Loena and G/P! :giggle:
But I still think it could be a bit soon for travelling abroad and under current rules I'd have to quarantine for 10 days when I get back...

For Skate America, which I will attend:
Starr Andrews
Tomoki Hiwatashi?
Yuma Kagiyama
Alexa Knierim / Brandon Frazier
Anastasia Mishina / Aleksandr Galliamov

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Thank you!!! Of course Starr Andrews. I could only think of the letter A and knew it sounded something involving astronomy! I'm losing my mind in my old age!!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
These last few days before the Grand Prix roster announcements are perfect for thinking about what combination of skater assignments to the Grand Prix nearest you would cause you to immediately say to yourself, “That’s it!! I’m going!!” So, tell us—what combination of skater assignments to a single Grand Prix this year would you find impossible to resist? Currently eligible skaters only please; no wishing for a comeback by Michele Kwan or anything like that :)

For me, I’m thinking that it would take a combo of Kazakova/Reviya, Muramoto/Takahashi, and Tuktamysheva, to make me want to pack my bags for a trip to the smoke-filled, seamy underbelly of Las Vegas.
Gracie.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Well, I'm already committed (got my airfare and hotel) and just waiting for the tickets to go on general sale. I live in Phoenix and could not pass up the opportunity for such an easy trip.

That said, I'm hoping for Alysa Liu, Liza T, one of the 3A, and Kaori
Step/Buk, Hawayek/Baker, and McNamara/Spirodinov (though maybe they aren't high enough for GP?) and I guess Hubbell/Donohue

I'm not too into pairs but I'd like to see Knierim/Frazer
Also not too into men but I'll check out Nathan, and of course, if it happens, Hanyu.

I'm planning on getting an all session package so I'll have all the opportunities! I'm very excited and honestly it would be awesome if they just decided to make Las Vegas the default location for SA going forward. Nationals is nice and all (I went in 1993 when it was in my city) but I'm very excited about being able to see all the international skaters!

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I just realize no one has talked about Papadakis/Cizeron in forever. It would be cool to see them but I suppose they are more likely to go to Canada and France, aren't they?

ETA: oh my god I forgot about Jason. I LOVE Jason. I'd rather see him than Nathan.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Olympic season GP assignments are usually May rather than June.

With that said, I don't think we should be banking on all six GPs going ahead anyway. The situation in the world is still unstable and should be treated with caution.