As We Await the GP Assignments... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

As We Await the GP Assignments...

Ziotic

Medalist
I just realize no one has talked about Papadakis/Cizeron in forever. It would be cool to see them but I suppose they are more likely to go to Canada and France, aren't they?

ETA: oh my god I forgot about Jason. I LOVE Jason. I'd rather see him than Nathan.
I doubt Canada would want P/C at their GP. They will want to clear the way for G/P to take gold.
It will definitely be interesting as P/C are unseeded. I’m sure they will try to avoid S/K also as it would be really detrimental to lose to them prior to GPF.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I doubt Canada would want P/C at their GP. They will want to clear the way for G/P to take gold.
It will definitely be interesting as P/C are unseeded. I’m sure they will try to avoid S/K also as it would be really detrimental to lose to them prior to GPF.
P/C train in Canada though. Seems like that's the most likely one for them, especially if there are travel restrictions.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
It will definitely be interesting as P/C are unseeded
P/C put a lot at risk. They haven’t competed almost a year and a half, so not only do they have catching up to do, (at least in the judges’ eyes) but they’ve also lost WS rank and point and must rely on that and the power of the French fed to get GP’s, and by skipping World’s this year they dropped France’s Olympic spots from 1-3, so no one else will most likely be sent. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out. I believe they got covid in July 2020 and it hit them pretty bad, so my guess is that they are tying to avoid an Aliona Kostornaia type situation where they compete when they’re not ready and maybe not loose titles, but loose reputation, which can be arguably harder to earn.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just realize no one has talked about Papadakis/Cizeron in forever. It would be cool to see them but I suppose they are more likely to go to Canada and France, aren't they?
Canada would not invite them unless they were forced to, which, since they're unseeded, is unlikely.

P/C will obviously do France, their second assignment will be one of the two Asian Grand Prix events (probably NHK, as Zhulin has said S/K want China).

Ziotic

Medalist
P/C train in Canada though. Seems like that's the most likely one for them, especially if there are travel restrictions.
It doesn’t matter where they train, the federations are the ones who select the skaters and Canada will not want them. Just as USA and Russia will not want them. So that leaves France(obvious) China, or Japan. My bet is on Japan as they don’t have a horse in the race and like to invite big names.
However I do kind of expect G/P in France as I think H/D will want to avoid P/C until GPF if possible.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I don't know visa status of Russian skaters. Maybe everything is fine. However, if they don't have North American visas I would try to avoid nominating our "top guns" - world champions plus Kamila to SA and SC.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
If Fear & Gibson, Tuktamysheva and Alyssa Liu were all at a GP I’d be there (if flights were under £800).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Russian federation can't 'nominate' skaters to NA events or elsewhere. Scherbakova and Tuktamysheva can name their preferred events, which will be honored, and Trusova gets the two events not selected by the top two. But Valieva doesn't get to choose her events, and if one of the NA countries goes first in the selection order and chooses Valieva, then she goes there.

Ziotic

Medalist
Although there is a lot of wheeling and dealing between feds I could easily see Canada inviting Kamilla and Evgenia along with whoever of the seeded skaters goes, likely Sasha.

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Although there is a lot of wheeling and dealing between feds I could easily see Canada inviting Kamilla and Evgenia along with whoever of the seeded skaters goes, likely Sasha.
That's not necessarily how it works. It's a big ruckus because some skaters are guaranteed GP's, others aren't. RusFed will push for their priorities, as will every other fed, but no one gets to rule all the decisions. Now RusFed probably has the most power, at least in the ladies event because of the Worlds podium sweep, but they also have very few choices to strategically plan because of the number of girls they have.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That's not necessarily how it works. It's a big ruckus because some skaters are guaranteed GP's, others aren't. RusFed will push for their priorities, as will every other fed, but no one gets to rule all the decisions. Now RusFed probably has the most power, at least in the ladies event because of the Worlds podium sweep, but they also have very few choices to strategically plan because of the number of girls they have.
Sweeping the podium simplify things for the top 3 Russians. At least they won't face one another until GPF. It also allows for the Russian girls who didn't go to worlds to shoot for silver (at least) and pass the skaters seeded 4 to 6. The Russian federation plays this game very well, considering : they have shown that in the JGP (and they have the skaters to do so)

Ziotic

Medalist
Again, that’s what I meant by wheeling and dealing. With the lack of clarity with the selection process this season due to only 1 major and a couple minor competitions very few are guaranteed spots. That being said, Russia will make sure their picks get assignments, they just may not be as favourable as in the past.

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Do you think Gracie will get more than 1 GP assignment?
If she gets any assignment at all it will be the Skate America host spot. She isn‘t guaranteed a single assignment because she doesn’t have a high enough world ranking. USFS will probably decide if they are going to send her to SA based on what they see at Champs Camp in August, since they can decide host spots later.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I'm already committed (got my airfare and hotel) and just waiting for the tickets to go on general sale. I live in Phoenix and could not pass up the opportunity for such an easy trip.

That said, I'm hoping for Alysa Liu, Liza T, one of the 3A, and Kaori
Step/Buk, Hawayek/Baker, and McNamara/Spirodinov (though maybe they aren't high enough for GP?) and I guess Hubbell/Donohue

I'm not too into pairs but I'd like to see Knierim/Frazer
Also not too into men but I'll check out Nathan, and of course, if it happens, Hanyu.

I'm planning on getting an all session package so I'll have all the opportunities! I'm very excited and honestly it would be awesome if they just decided to make Las Vegas the default location for SA going forward. Nationals is nice and all (I went in 1993 when it was in my city) but I'm very excited about being able to see all the international skaters!
I’m glad you are excited and hope you have fun. I definitely hope they do not decide to make Las Vegas the default. It is an 8 day drive for me (4 there and 4 back) and that would almost certainly put me in a wheelchair for awhile. There are people in the middle of the country and the East Coast who would like to see International skaters also

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you think Gracie will get more than 1 GP assignment?
I think Gracie can get ONE GP assignment IF she does well at summer comps/Champs Camp. I know several years ago Megan Wessenberg got the host pick the year after she had placed ...10th? 12th? st Nationals on the strength of her performances at summer comps. USFS knows Gracie is a star (who else draws SRO crowds at Regionals?) and I think that given an excuse they will send her. Unfortunately summer comps are not “on brand” for Gracie as she would say. So we shall see. I’m not driving 4 days there and 4 days back for anyone else, I can tell you that.

mrrice

Record Breaker
If she gets any assignment at all it will be the Skate America host spot. She isn‘t guaranteed a single assignment because she doesn’t have a high enough world ranking. USFS will probably decide if they are going to send her to SA based on what they see at Champs Camp in August, since they can decide host spots later.
The thing about Gracie is that she sells tickets. If she is skating on the west coast, I am there.

Amei

Record Breaker
The thing about Gracie is that she sells tickets. If she is skating on the west coast, I am there.

Well I would hope that the US Fed would prioritize promising skaters and their future vs. a ticket sale; Gracie hasn't finished inside the top 10 at Nationals the last 2 years her competitions this season haven't exactly yielded great results.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well I would hope that the US Fed would prioritize promising skaters and their future vs. a ticket sale; Gracie hasn't finished inside the top 10 at Nationals the last 2 years her competitions this season haven't exactly yielded great results.
Sadly, I agree. At this point, I'd rather see a strong Junior get the chance to prove themselves. I still think Gracie would be a great draw for Shows.

Blueshirt

Rinkside
My wife and I plan to attend Skate America. The 2019 edition was her first time attending an ISU-type competition, and it was my first one in 20 years.

I'm hoping to see Satoko Miyahara, first and foremost, as this might be my only chance. Among the other women, Mrs. Blueshirt and I also agree we'd be thrilled to see Karen Chen, Bradie Tennell or Kaori Sakamoto again, and certainly Rika Kihira.

Sadly, we know Yuzuru Hanyu won't be at Skate America, but we hope that means Jason Brown, Nathan Chen and Keegan Messing will compete in Las Vegas again.

Dance is probably my favorite event, and I really want to see Papadakis/Cizeron, Chock/Bates and Gilles/Poirier live someday. But I'm skeptical that any of them will be at Skate America. Seeing Stepanova/Bukin and Hubbell/Donahue again would be great as well, and my wife and I are hoping Wang/Liu are there, too.

I'm rooting for Sui/Han, Cain-Gribble/LeDuc and as many of the top 3 Russian pairs as possible to go to Skate America.