As We Await the GP Assignments... | Page 10 | Golden Skate

As We Await the GP Assignments...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US held SkAm and US Nationals because the state of Nevada let them. The same event plan would not have been allowed by any of the Canadian provincial governments, hence why SCI and Canadian Nationals did not happen.

The fed shouldn't (at least as things currently stand) have a problem hosting domestic competitions the way things are currently trending. The JGP was called off because international travel rules are still up in the air for the summer, and there's no way to guarantee that foreign skaters assigned to the junior event will be able to come.
I’m VERY concerned about the Delta variant. There are rumors that the CDC is going to tighten its guidelines on fully vaccinated people.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So before I start making plans, my first worry is Canada. Could Canada cancel this event at the last minute? I am feeling uneasy. It's obviously the event to go to this GP season. I don't want to miss it, but I also don't want to waste a ton of time working the trip out if it's only going to be canceled.
Stated earlier in the thread but I personally am very concerned about the delta variant.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
for those thinking about coming to attend SCI, the borders are not yet open to tourism. I have an acquaintance who is coming on a work permit, 14 days quarantine... So, international spectators for ACI and SCI, I wouldn't count too much on it for this year... things are changing quickly for the better right now, but the reverse could also be true.... your best bet is to, in the meantime, get fully vaccinated.... that may be a requirement for visitors in the future.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Stated earlier in the thread but I personally am very concerned about the delta variant.
The delta variant is definitely concerning, but from what I've heard two shots of pfizer and/or moderna and/or astra zeneca are pretty good against it. One shot is not so good, and it was the delta variant (plus a greatly increased vaccine supply) that spurred the Canadian provinces to move up the second-shot schedule. It was originally "up to 4 months" in Canada, based on what was happening in Britain. BC abruptly changed that the 8 weeks, and made a big push to get caught up to that (we were already past 8 weeks, but got the second shot within a week of the change in eligibility).

I think one thing the delta variant will do is change the target for herd immunity. In Canada they are concentrating on second shots (especially in delta variant hot-spots) and communities where less than 75% of eligible people (ie, those 12 and over) have been vaccinated. I think they should be much more ambitious and aim for 90%.

I definitely agree with 4everchan that I would NOT plan to cross the border for Skate Canada. Heck, I'm in Canada less than a day's drive from Vancover, and I am still waffling.

But tickets aren't on sale yet, and I suspect I will be ready to make a decision by the time they are available.

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
Numbers one though three at Worlds must be assigned to separate GPs. I presume it is to "spread the wealth" among the GPs. So if Nathan, as is 99.99% certain, selected Skate America as a GP, Yuzu and Yuma cannot attend. Nathan picks first, Yuma second, Yuzu third.

The same for fourth through sixth.:biggrin: ETA: Theoretically Shoma could select Skate Canada and box out Keegan or select Rostelecom and box out Misha. But the feds can wheel and deal and I can't see that happening.🤷‍♀️

That being said, although 2nd at Worlds is supposed to pick over 3rd, you will be able to knock me over with a feather if Yuzu does not get NHK if he wants it. Yuma will be persuaded that he really wants to skate elsewhere ;)
Thank you... i appreciate it!!

Ziotic

Medalist
Canada just announced that unvaccinated tourist will not be welcomed for some time but vaccinated ones will be.
I’m fairly certain we will see some travel allowed in August for leisure.
We are almost at 80% with one shot and 45% with two, very near the threshold public health wanted to see

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Effective Sept 7, fully vaccinated people are welcome to Canada. So Skate Canada shouldn’t be an issue. Autum classic in August is kind of in limbo for international but Canada/USA can attend.
I think all of the US skaters going to SC are vaccinated... I know Nathan, Karen, Alysa, and Jason are based off of IG. And the other skaters are getting vaccinated too. I just saw that Shoma had his first dose, so that means the Japanese skaters should probably be fully vaccinated in time for the GP. I'm hoping that we can have a normal season.