As We Await the GP Assignments... | Page 9 | Golden Skate

As We Await the GP Assignments...

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I don’t think my heart could take Nathan Chen in SkAm and Shoma Uno at SkCan. I just will shut down like one of those super computers in old SciFi stories that cannot compute their choices.

but yeah, I also feel that the delay is because they are searching for alternative host to Skate Canada

Last edited:

Ella5555

On the Ice
I have heard this, but I have seen nothing in the official language. Officially, world champ goes first, second place goes second, etc. But if I am reading it incorrectly, I would be happy to see the language.

Meagan Duhamel had a very interesting interview where she talked about how Skate Canada asked for Eric and her preference, and then relayed those preferences to the selection committees.

That said, I absolutely do believe that the feds wheel and deal informally. And that no skater with any sense goes up against their own fed.:biggrin:
As world champ in 2019, Nathan wanted NHK because it fit into his school schedule. He didn‘t get it because NHK wanted Yuzu instead. Nathan ended up in France. It just goes to show you that the feds have the final say - even if you’re world champ.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As world champ in 2019, Nathan wanted NHK because it fit into his school schedule. He didn‘t get it because NHK wanted Yuzu instead. Nathan ended up in France. It just goes to show you that the feds have the final say - even if you’re world champ.

I think we are discussing the same thing, but I will try again:

De jure, by law, the world champ gets to pick.

De facto, in fact, I would absolutely presume the feds wheel and deal. I would always anticipate that Yuzu gets NHK, I think he's going to get it this year over Yuma. But when he does, I think it's a result of wheeling and dealing, not a "final say"

For example, in 2019: Nathan talks to the US Fed, says maybe can I get NHK, the Fed says no we're going to wheel and deal with the Japanese Fed to let them have Yuzu so we get who we want at some other comp, so what would you like after NHK?

Personally I have never seen a skater quoted as "I put in for this GP and I didn't get it because the host fed said I shouldn't get it". For example, in 2019, I saw other people say NHK would work out for Nathan's schedule; I never saw Nathan say, I put in for NHK and didn't get it. And I have never seen any other skater say that either. I certainly could have missed it🤷‍♀️

But the end result is the same. :)

Ella5555

On the Ice
I think we are discussing the same thing, but I will try again:

De jure, by law, the world champ gets to pick.

De facto, in fact, I would absolutely presume the feds wheel and deal. I would always anticipate that Yuzu gets NHK, I think he's going to get it this year over Yuma. But when he does, I think it's a result of wheeling and dealing, not a "final say"

For example, in 2019: Nathan talks to the US Fed, says maybe can I get NHK, the Fed says no we're going to wheel and deal with the Japanese Fed to let them have Yuzu so we get who we want at some other comp, so what would you like after NHK?

Personally I have never seen a skater quoted as "I put in for this GP and I didn't get it because the host fed said I shouldn't get it". For example, in 2019, I saw other people say NHK would work out for Nathan's schedule; I never saw Nathan say, I put in for NHK and didn't get it. And I have never seen any other skater say that either. I certainly could have missed it🤷‍♀️

But the end result is the same. :)
I’m in total agreement with you about process…just adding a little example. Sorry if I wasn’t clear. In any case, Nathan did state in an interview after the GPF assignments were announced in 2019 that his first choice would have been NHK because it would have coincided with a school break. If memory serves, I don’t think he stated anything about why he didn’t get it.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My understanding re: Grand Prix selection is that it's the host picks that go first (hence, why federations can prevent a first seed from claiming a spot in their own Grand Prix event if they want to), then the seeds, then everybody else.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
So we know for sure that Tuk is paired with Valieva, as expected. I don't see a complete list. I'm disappointed Trusova will be at SkAm. I guess Usacheva will be companion?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Alysa Liu won't be at SkAm either. She's debuting in Canada.... Shoot, I'd rather go to Vancouver and see Liu, Kostornaya, and Valieva!!! Are tickets still available? I also like Keegan, and Nathan will be there. Hmm, seems like I might combine one trip for Vegas to Vancouver...

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Only the seeds and host picks so far. What about the rest of the skaters?
End of the article has full lists link

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Alysa Liu won't be at SkAm either. She's debuting in Canada.... Shoot, I'd rather go to Vancouver and see Liu, Kostornaya, and Valieva!!! Are tickets still available? I also like Keegan, and Nathan will be there. Hmm, seems like I might combine one trip for Vegas to Vancouver...
I don’t think they even start selling them yet.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I don’t think they even start selling them yet.

So before I start making plans, my first worry is Canada. Could Canada cancel this event at the last minute? I am feeling uneasy. It's obviously the event to go to this GP season. I don't want to miss it, but I also don't want to waste a ton of time working the trip out if it's only going to be canceled.

Ziotic

Medalist
So before I start making plans, my first worry is Canada. Could Canada cancel this event at the last minute? I am feeling uneasy. It's obviously the event to go to this GP season. I don't want to miss it, but I also don't want to waste a ton of time working the trip out if it's only going to be canceled.
Based on how things are going, the entire country will be vaccinated by about August….if the government prevents it from happening it will be absurd.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As Ziotic observed, it's very unlikely to be cancelled. However, whether there will be an audience, or audience restrictions (numbers, vax status, country of residence, etc.) are still in question.