As We Await the GP Assignments... | Page 8 | Golden Skate

As We Await the GP Assignments...

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
There is no doubt that the latest easing is a real boon for Canadian citizens/residents who want to go to Skate America. So, congratulations!

But it does not, by itself, clear the way for holding international competitions in Canada. It's a step toward that, but there are many steps more to come. I am cautiously optimistic that those additional steps will be achieved.
Anything is better than nothing. I mean, okay, Edmonton JGP stage is an upset, for sure, but 2023 Junior Worlds would be even worse to lose.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Anything is better than nothing. I mean, okay, Edmonton JGP stage is an upset, for sure, but 2023 Junior Worlds would be even worse to lose.
Don't even think it! I wasn't looking that far ahead; I was just thinking about this fall's senior comps: the Challenger and the Grand Prix event. I can't even imagine how bad things in general would have to be for cancellations of anything in 2023!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skate Canada really seems to have not been prepared or had any plans in place for holding any figure skating competitions unlike other countries. Even the US managed to hold both SA and Nationals albeit without an audience and other countries such as France and Italy had their Nationals too. Makes you wonder if Skate Canada or Canadian Nats are going to happen.

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
Considering the seeding of skaters, if everything is logical.... Nathan would go to Skate America which means no Yuzu nor Yuma... and Keegan would go to skate Canada, which means no Shoma there.... and Rostelecom would have Kolyada = again no Shoma. So considering this, the chances of Shoma going to Skate America are greater than the chances of him not going..... unless Skate America wants to have Keegan, and that he decided to do back to back events, to focus on training afterwards... Considering the location of events for SKAM and SCI, I can see that being a possibility...
Hi, can someone please explain these rules about no Yuzu or Yuma at Skate America because of Nathan? Or no Shoma at Skate Canada? Or no Shoma at Rostelecom Cup because Kolyada would be there? I never knew there was rules like this. Somebody please explain why these are in place and why? Thanks so much!!! :pray::)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi, can someone please explain these rules about no Yuzu or Yuma at Skate America because of Nathan? Or no Shoma at Skate Canada? Or no Shoma at Rostelecom Cup because Kolyada would be there? I never knew there was rules like this. Somebody please explain why these are in place and why? Thanks so much!!! :pray::)

Numbers one though three at Worlds must be assigned to separate GPs. I presume it is to "spread the wealth" among the GPs. So if Nathan, as is 99.99% certain, selected Skate America as a GP, Yuzu and Yuma cannot attend. Nathan picks first, Yuma second, Yuzu third.

The same for fourth through sixth.:biggrin: ETA: Theoretically Shoma could select Skate Canada and box out Keegan or select Rostelecom and box out Misha. But the feds can wheel and deal and I can't see that happening.🤷‍♀️

That being said, although 2nd at Worlds is supposed to pick over 3rd, you will be able to knock me over with a feather if Yuzu does not get NHK if he wants it. Yuma will be persuaded that he really wants to skate elsewhere ;)

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
That being said, although 2nd at Worlds is supposed to pick over 3rd, you will be able to knock me over with a feather if Yuzu does not get NHK if he wants it. Yuma will be persuaded that he really wants to skate elsewhere ;)
But that would mean Yuzu could potentially lose Skate Canada. It'll be interesting to see which GPs he picks, and where all the skaters end up assigned.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Skate Canada really seems to have not been prepared or had any plans in place for holding any figure skating competitions unlike other countries. Even the US managed to hold both SA and Nationals albeit without an audience and other countries such as France and Italy had their Nationals too. Makes you wonder if Skate Canada or Canadian Nats are going to happen.

It would be really weird if the Olympic team was chosen via monitoring or a virtual competition, but I could see it happening. :(

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the situation in Canada is very different right now. People are getting vaccinated. Competitive sport is reopening. For the Habs game, they even had 3500 spectators on Thursday... so I am not too worried about that. They have also announced that the tennis big tournaments will happen this summer : they said, worst case scenario, no fans... but that was the worst case scenario. I wouldn't necessarily blame Skate Canada for this... The federation couldn't have done it alone. The few events that were organized in other sports were monitored by public health and did not happen in the fall but in 2021. For instance, the curling bubble in Calgary was quite successful. Last week, Canadian swimming trials happened in Toronto, this weekend, it was the track and field trials in Montreal. I am pretty sure that public health and Skate Canada will come together to organize at least Nationals, as it would serve for Olympic qualification, just like in other sports.

figureskatingandrainbows

Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
As 4everchan added, Canada is gradually reopening. My interpretation of the cancelling of the JGP event was because there were going to be minors involved, many of whom probably haven't had the chance to get vaccinated, and if something goes wrong and they have to quarantine, it's a whole mess. (and one of the reasons why I think they cancelled senior Nats last year was because there were several skaters training in different countries, and they couldn't afford to quarantine for fourteen days and then compete at Nats)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The US held SkAm and US Nationals because the state of Nevada let them. The same event plan would not have been allowed by any of the Canadian provincial governments, hence why SCI and Canadian Nationals did not happen.

The fed shouldn't (at least as things currently stand) have a problem hosting domestic competitions the way things are currently trending. The JGP was called off because international travel rules are still up in the air for the summer, and there's no way to guarantee that foreign skaters assigned to the junior event will be able to come.

mrrice

Record Breaker
You're welcome! I do want to point out that the bus stops there about every 15 to 20 minutes. Buses are currently operating on a Saturday schedule on weekdays, though this may change. It'd be best to check Google Maps or the transit website: https://www.rtcsnv.com/ways-to-travel/schedules-maps/

As for Nathan being there, that seems more certain than the possibility of any other skater being there, imo.
I hope Nathan goes to Skate America. It will give the US Fans a chance to see his new programs and it will give him a chance to build an even bigger fan base than he already has. I'm not sure why the National Champions in every discipline aren't required to attend their countries GP.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Who wants to do a poll, for our guesses as to when the assignments will be announced? :)

I can only think that the uncertainty over whether Skate Canada can be held as scheduled is causing this delay. I could be all wrong of course—but I am imagining the ISU frantically trying to line up an alternate location/alternate assignments, due to availability of facilities and skaters.

figureskatingandrainbows

Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I can only think that the uncertainty over whether Skate Canada can be held as scheduled is causing this delay. I could be all wrong of course—but I am imagining the ISU frantically trying to line up an alternate location/alternate assignments, due to availability of facilities and skaters.
It's probably both the uncertainty of holding the events, but also whether international travel is feasible. They're probably waiting to see whether they'll need to hold the events in bubbles or if they'll be domestic again.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Nathan goes to Skate America. It will give the US Fans a chance to see his new programs and it will give him a chance to build an even bigger fan base than he already has. I'm not sure why the National Champions in every discipline aren't required to attend their countries GP.

I believe the national champs in each country would prefer to attend their country's GP, without a doubt. But the only one who gets the first choice is the Worlds champ.

What happens when the national champ finishes behind a teammate at Worlds? What happens when Yuma comes in second and national champ Yuzu comes in third;) As I said, I believe Yuma will "show an interest", aided by his fed, in CoC and Rostelecom, should Yuzu want to compete at NHK and SC

What happens if Shoma, who is fourth, decides he wants to compete at SC and Rostelecom? That boxes out Keegan and Misha K. I believe that will never ever happen, but under the rules, it could.

No national champ is deliberately avoiding their own GP:)

Ziotic

Medalist
I believe the national champs in each country would prefer to attend their country's GP, without a doubt. But the only one who gets the first choice is the Worlds champ.

What happens when the national champ finishes behind a teammate at Worlds? What happens when Yuma comes in second and national champ Yuzu comes in third;) As I said, I believe Yuma will "show an interest", aided by his fed, in CoC and Rostelecom, should Yuzu want to compete at NHK and SC

What happens if Shoma, who is fourth, decides he wants to compete at SC and Rostelecom? That boxes out Keegan and Misha K. I believe that will never ever happen, but under the rules, it could.

Fed choices overrule the skaters. As in Nathan will not be at NHK.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fed choices overrule the skaters. As in Nathan will not be at NHK.

I have heard this, but I have seen nothing in the official language. Officially, world champ goes first, second place goes second, etc. But if I am reading it incorrectly, I would be happy to see the language.

Meagan Duhamel had a very interesting interview where she talked about how Skate Canada asked for Eric and her preference, and then relayed those preferences to the selection committees.

That said, I absolutely do believe that the feds wheel and deal informally. And that no skater with any sense goes up against their own fed.:biggrin:

mrrice

Record Breaker

Well, Nathan is National and World Champion so, if he isn't at Skate America it was his decision, right?

As for Bradie, if the GP's are allowed a Host Pick, I would hope they would pick their Champion to represent them.