As We Await the GP Assignments... | Page 6 | Golden Skate

As We Await the GP Assignments...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They updated the rankings after Worlds, but in the past, usually around late April, they purged the list of the oldest year of data and then reduced the value by 70% of the year prior to current year. They haven't done any purge or data reduction so far, and that may be in the interest of fairness. However, if they leave the WR as they are, that is unfair to the juniors moving up to senior in the coming season---they have limited data from two seasons past, so when the older skaters have their data reduced, the younger ones benefit most.

OTOH, the Seasons Best list for this past season is even more unfair---lucky Europeans who were able to do the few Challenge events have high rankings while NA, Asian skaters and Junior skaters who didn't go to Worlds are way down. It would be fairer IMHO if the ISU merged SB lists for the past two seasons and removed redundancies.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Oh, I see. Thank you for the explanation, guys. I am curious what they decide. Part of me would be in favour of resolving Grand Prix in favour of the old guard, and filling back with the up and coming talent for those who retired letting the normal progression work for the juniors. I realize that it would work against many of my favourites though 😭

MaHa75

On the Ice
They updated the rankings after Worlds, but in the past, usually around late April, they purged the list of the oldest year of data and then reduced the value by 70% of the year prior to current year. They haven't done any purge or data reduction so far, and that may be in the interest of fairness. However, if they leave the WR as they are, that is unfair to the juniors moving up to senior in the coming season---they have limited data from two seasons past, so when the older skaters have their data reduced, the younger ones benefit most.

OTOH, the Seasons Best list for this past season is even more unfair---lucky Europeans who were able to do the few Challenge events have high rankings while NA, Asian skaters and Junior skaters who didn't go to Worlds are way down. It would be fairer IMHO if the ISU merged SB lists for the past two seasons and removed redundancies.
But juniors had worlds last year 2020 when seniors did not...so fair play!

pianistliz

On the Ice
Vegas is 8 hrs away from me. I'd make the trip in a heartbeat if Hanyu were at Skate America (still an unfulfilled bucket list item for me to see him live), but obviously that won't happen. If Skate America were closer (if I could make the whole trip in a day), I'd go for Jason, Nathan, and man if Shoma were there that would be so amazing. I went to 2019 US Nationals so I've already seen most of the top US men live, but I'd love to see Shoma in person (and Yuma, but again, the way the GP series is organized, I know that won't happen either).

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Skate America were closer (if I could make the whole trip in a day), I'd go for Jason, Nathan, and man if Shoma were there that would be so amazing. I went to 2019 US Nationals so I've already seen most of the top US men live, but I'd love to see Shoma in person (and Yuma, but again, the way the GP series is organized, I know that won't happen either).
It's probably not extremely likely, yet not impossible that Shoma will be at Skate America. I haven't given up hope yet! It was really fun seeing him there in 2015 and 2016!

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
It's probably not extremely likely, yet not impossible that Shoma will be at Skate America. I haven't given up hope yet! It was really fun seeing him there in 2015 and 2016!
I know a lot of people think the JSF is going to put Shoma with Nathan in two of the events, since the rules state Yuma can't skate against Nathan and obviously having Yuzuru compete against him would be a crazy idea, and since Nathan's almost certainly going to Skate America, I think Shoma has a better chance at going this year. I would love to go if that was the case.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know a lot of people think the JSF is going to put Shoma with Nathan in two of the events, since the rules state Yuma can't skate against Nathan and obviously having Yuzuru compete against him would be a crazy idea, and since Nathan's almost certainly going to Skate America, I think Shoma has a better chance at going this year. I would love to go if that was the case.
Yes, it seems like that could be possible. I was thinking of IdF and Rostelecom for Shoma since he's training in Switzerland, but I was forgetting that he's not supposed to compete against Mikhail K. Arghhhhckk. Wish they'd hurry up with the assignments! :bang:

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Shoma goes to Skate America this year, then I'll probably be there. If Shoma doesn't go there, then I probably won't be there. It would be wonderful to see him skate again (and finally get the chance to use the banner I made to support him prior to 2020 Worlds)!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Vegas is 8 hrs away from me. I'd make the trip in a heartbeat if Hanyu were at Skate America (still an unfulfilled bucket list item for me to see him live), but obviously that won't happen. If Skate America were closer (if I could make the whole trip in a day), I'd go for Jason, Nathan, and man if Shoma were there that would be so amazing. I went to 2019 US Nationals so I've already seen most of the top US men live, but I'd love to see Shoma in person (and Yuma, but again, the way the GP series is organized, I know that won't happen either).
Vegas is a 6Hr drive from Clovis but, Southwest has some really great deals if you book in advance. It's been a while since I've used public transit there however. I know they have buses, uber, cabs, and they were building a monorail the last time I was there. Not sure if it goes to the Arena.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Considering the seeding of skaters, if everything is logical.... Nathan would go to Skate America which means no Yuzu nor Yuma... and Keegan would go to skate Canada, which means no Shoma there.... and Rostelecom would have Kolyada = again no Shoma. So considering this, the chances of Shoma going to Skate America are greater than the chances of him not going..... unless Skate America wants to have Keegan, and that he decided to do back to back events, to focus on training afterwards... Considering the location of events for SKAM and SCI, I can see that being a possibility...

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vegas is a 6Hr drive from Clovis but, Southwest has some really great deals if you book in advance. It's been a while since I've used public transit there however. I know they have buses, uber, cabs, and they were building a monorail the last time I was there. Not sure if it goes to the Arena.
The monorail goes nowhere near the arena and is primarily for the use of tourists who feel the urge to spend ridiculous amounts of money to ride on a monorail. 😛

That being said, I will recommend the public transit system. Cheaper than an Uber, and the 201 bus stops across the street from the Orleans. I've always been fortunate enough to receive transit passes from my father whenever I visit him, as he lives in the Vegas area. However, it appears you can download Vegas transit passes from an app these days:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They were building it the last time I was there - in 2004. You mean to tell me it isn’t built yet???

mrrice

Record Breaker
The monorail goes nowhere near the arena and is primarily for the use of tourists who feel the urge to spend ridiculous amounts of money to ride on a monorail. 😛

That being said, I will recommend the public transit system. Cheaper than an Uber, and the 201 bus stops across the street from the Orleans. I've always been fortunate enough to receive transit passes from my father whenever I visit him, as he lives in the Vegas area. However, it appears you can download Vegas transit passes from an app these days:
Thank you so much for posting this information...........:thank::bow:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Another option is to use the Orleans’ free shuttle, which runs continuously in a loop with the Gold Coast & Fashion Show Mall (walking distance to the Strip?) from noon daily, about every 30 minutes. Ends about 10 p.m.; likely too early for post-competition but there might be additional hours by October.

You DO have to either be a hotel guest (Orleans or Gold Coast) OR be a member of the B Connected loyalty program. It’s free & can get you some discounts on restaurants & shops (plus points if you do some gambling); it takes about 5 minutes to sign up & get a card.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Do you guys think it likely that Nathan Chen would do GP this year vs just starting at Nationals? Also, I am kindda starting to think, if not Kagiyama and not Hanyu, Uno is actually a distinctive possibility then? Still my heart! Because then, quarantine or not, I am going

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Do you guys think it likely that Nathan Chen would do GP this year vs just starting at Nationals? Also, I am kindda starting to think, if not Kagiyama and not Hanyu, Uno is actually a distinctive possibility then? Still my heart! Because then, quarantine or not, I am going
I would be surprised if Nathan skipped the Grand Prix in the lead up to the Olympics. I think he can very much be expected at Skate America.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Do you guys think it likely that Nathan Chen would do GP this year vs just starting at Nationals?
I don't see any reason why Nathan would skip the GP. He has a longer break than the Russian and Japanese skaters from the final to nationals, he's fully vaccinated, and it's good competition experience. He'll probably also do a Challenger event, just for more practice. Starting at nationals is super risky for him, because then he has 4CC (if he decides to go) and then the Olympics right after with little time to prepare.

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you so much for posting this information...........:thank::bow:
You're welcome! I do want to point out that the bus stops there about every 15 to 20 minutes. Buses are currently operating on a Saturday schedule on weekdays, though this may change. It'd be best to check Google Maps or the transit website: https://www.rtcsnv.com/ways-to-travel/schedules-maps/

As for Nathan being there, that seems more certain than the possibility of any other skater being there, imo.