Asian-American "resurgence" in skating | Golden Skate

Asian-American "resurgence" in skating

Taan

On the Ice
Nathan And Karen Chen Leading The Way For An Asian-American Resurgence In Figure Skating
http://www.teamusa.org/News/2017/Ma...n-Asian-American-Resurgence-In-Figure-Skating
It’s not just Karen and Nathan that are representing the Asian-American population at the top of U.S. figure skating right now, however. Maia and Alex Shibutani won their second straight ice dance national title in January, while Madison Chock – who has Chinese and Hawaiian ancestry – won silver in the same discipline alongside partner Evan Bates.

In fact, 15 of the top 38 U.S. skaters in the men’s and women’s singles elite program this season were of Asian background, 39 percent of the total. In comparison, less than six percent of the total U.S. population is Asian-American.

“There are so many good Asian skaters right now,” Nathan Chen said, also noting the international renaissance of Asian men – like Olympic and world champion Yuzuru Hanyu – on the global stage. “Asian kids know now that they can have the possibility to skate. I think that’s really cool for them to have that.”

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very interesting article. And what great role models in Kristi Yamaguchi and Michelle Kwan. Very exciting to see this resurgence.

Barb

Record Breaker
I know that few people in US is interested in ice dance, but the fact that Maia and Alex were not in the title of the article when they have more chances of an Olympic medal than Karen and Nathan, bothered me :mad:.

desertskates

Medalist
I know that few people in US is interested in ice dance, but the fact that Maia and Alex were not in the title of the article when they have more chances of an Olympic medal than Karen and Nathan, bothered me :mad:.

That was also my first thought after reading. Nice article, though!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hmm Was there ever a surgence lol in Asian American men? I don't think we can say there is resurgence. Certainly there have been strong Asian American lady skaters ie Yamaguchi and Kwan but there has be always some American Asian lady around for the most part. isn't y es, after Kwan there was less medals gut there was/is Anne Patrice? something, Caroline Zhang Bebe Liang, Mirai Nagasu, Nari Nam?, the there are the ice dancers.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Happy to see this article :).

I am Asian-American, and I had become a fan of the Shibs years before my first awareness of Nathan or Karen.
It does not bother me one bit that the Shibs are not in the title of this article.

Near the top of the article, McCarvel makes a point of saying (emphasis added): "... the success of Karen Chen and Nathan Chen highlight a continued – and growing – trend for U.S. skaters with Asian backgrounds. ..."
And McCarvel does mention the Shibs, Madi Chock, and Mervin Tran by name a little later.

Plus the article was published on the Team USA website, which is CONSTANTLY promoting the Shibs.
I am not saying that the Shibs do not deserve all the promotion that they receive.
I am saying that I feel no reason to raise my eyebrows (ETA: in a dissatisfied way) when the Team USA site puts some spotlight on other skaters too.

Also: I am a big fan of ice dance, but it does not bother me that the focus of this particular article is singles.

The stats from McCarvel:
In fact, 15 of the top 38 U.S. skaters in the men’s and women’s singles elite program this season were of Asian background, 39 percent of the total. In comparison, less than six percent of the total U.S. population is Asian-American.

I'm not sure whom exactly he is counting, but I will note the following from 2017 Nats. AFAIK:

7 of 19 senior ladies entries are Asian-American.
7 of 21 senior men's entries are Asian-American.
5 of 12 junior ladies entries are Asian-American
At least 2 of 11 junior men's entries are Asian-American (with possibly one more of Asian descent).

Among the 22 senior dancers (11 couples), I think only 3 skaters (the Shibs and Madi Chock) are Asian-American.
Among the 24 junior dancers (12 couples), I think 0 skaters are Asian-American.​

ETA: Thx to the mods for tweaking the thread title :agree:.

ETA, forgot to say:

- A photo of the Shibs appears within the article.

- And embedded at the bottom of the article is the Olympic Channel video about the Shibs (from Feb).​

Last edited:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Hmm Was there ever a surgence lol in Asian American men? I don't think we can say there is resurgence. Certainly there have been strong Asian American lady skaters ie Yamaguchi and Kwan but there has be always some American Asian lady around for the most part. isn't y es, after Kwan there was less medals gut there was/is Anne Patrice? something, Caroline Zhang Bebe Liang, Mirai Nagasu, Nari Nam?, the there are the ice dancers.

Before the skaters you listed: Tiffany Chin, who was a U.S. champion & major influence.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Before Nathan there were Asian American men who did well at the junior level but I can't think of any that had significant results at the senior level. Daisuke Murakami competed for the US in juniors for a few years but switched to Japan before competing in seniors.

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
Missing also is Christina Gao
2012 Skate America silver medalist, 2009 Junior Grand Prix Final bronze medalist, 2009 U.S. Junior bronze medalist

KatGrace1925

Medalist

I'd actually say Nathan had just as high a chance at an olympic medal as the Shibutani's.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Missing also is Christina Gao
2012 Skate America silver medalist, 2009 Junior Grand Prix Final bronze medalist, 2009 U.S. Junior bronze medalist

They're also missing one of my favorite skaters in Angela Wang......

jf12

Final Flight
I feel that Nathan may be the USA's best chance for OGM, but the men's field is just so deep, he could very easily end up fourth or fifth as well. With the way the Shibs have been so solid, consistent, and improving so much I feel they have a very good chance of NOT being fourth or lower.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I feel that Nathan may be the USA's best chance for OGM, but the men's field is just so deep, he could very easily end up fourth or fifth as well. With the way the Shibs have been so solid, consistent, and improving so much I feel they have a very good chance of NOT being fourth or lower.

I think that's true. Though I would also add that Worlds showed us that they maybe aren't as locked into that third spot as it might have seemed earlier in the season. They came fifth in the SD and fourth in the free, and I don't say that to take away from their bronze medal, but it shows that they weren't very secure in that spot.

Madi and Zach would have needed a 108.66 in the FD to beat them. They'd gotten a 107.81 as their SB, so that wasn't a guarantee, but it was doable for them without the major error. They finished with a 101.17, so they were 7.49 short with no twizzle points and that mistake probably contributed to the level 2 SS right after. A level 3 SS would add 1.5 and level 3 twizzles (5.6 bv) with even a +1 av. GOE would have done. And yes, they have a tendency to make mistakes, but my point is it was in their hands.

Madi and Evan would have needed a 108.94 in the FD to beat them. They'd gotten a 112.03 already, at SC, and a 110.91 at 4CC, so obviously that was doable. They got 105.79 in the FD with the major twizzle error, so 3.15 short. They'd have gotten 2.5 more for a level 3 and 3.5 more for a level 3 (which they got in the SD), even with the negative GOE and that probably would have gone up too. A +0.37 in av GOE would have been enough, even with a level 3, and the error likely brought done some of their PCS marks. So again, though it's on them that they made the mistake, it was in their hands to beat the Shibs.

I still think they're the mostly likely bronze medalist (don't really see silver as possible - even with errors, V/M and P/C have been beating them, as they should imo), but it looks less certain now then it did after the GPF. Both C/B and H/D can beat them, W/P was only .37 behind at Worlds, maybe even B/S. In my mind, barring injury or shocking turn of events, V/M and P/C are the top two in whatever order, then the Shibs lead the group of several teams fighting for the bronze.

On a different note, in each discipline in which a US has a shot at the podium, an skater/team with asian heritage is the top US one. Nathan, the Shibs, Karen (I think she's more likely to medal than Ashley, but also more likely to bomb, so this one is the closest). In Canada, this is only true of the men with Patrick (and Nam is one of the favourites for the second spot).

Ender

Match Penalty
They didn't mention the Shibs who have good chance of a bronze at the Olympic?

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Any reason why Figure Skating is more popular among Asian Americans? Michelle Kwan effect or simply those with Asian heritage are more likely to have talent / natural predispositions??